🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting Paid per Project vs by milestones
Page options
d40d5980
Community Member

Getting Paid per Project vs by milestones

Hi!

My name is Joan. I am relatively new on this platform. Despite creating an account a while back, I have just recently started being active. I'd like to inquire a few things regarding payment on Upwork:

1. Is it better to be paid by milestone or by project?
  2. Is there any risk in choosing to be paid by project instead of by milestone?
  3. How do you set milestones (I'd appreciate intel from content writers who've worked on such projects)?

I would highly appreciate any useful information anyone has to offer. Looking forward to the reponses.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Joan,

It's depends on each project. I mostly do fixed- price projects, as I hate the tracker system.

The client sets the milestones.

If I have to create weekly blogs, my clients create a weekly milestone that gets released when they approve the 2-4 posts for the week.

Some prefer to create article based milestones as they work on a flexible content calendar.

I would advise per post or weekly milestones for new clients. 

More important, in my opinion, is to ensure the milestone is funded, even with regular or recurring work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
a65104a9
Community Member

Can I help you

Hi Ali.

Yes please. I would like any useful information you can give on the following questions:

1. Is it better to be paid by milestone or by project?
  2. Is there any risk in choosing to be paid by project instead of by milestone?
  3. How do you set milestones (I'd appreciate intel from content writers who've worked on such projects)?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Joan,

It's depends on each project. I mostly do fixed- price projects, as I hate the tracker system.

The client sets the milestones.

If I have to create weekly blogs, my clients create a weekly milestone that gets released when they approve the 2-4 posts for the week.

Some prefer to create article based milestones as they work on a flexible content calendar.

I would advise per post or weekly milestones for new clients. 

More important, in my opinion, is to ensure the milestone is funded, even with regular or recurring work.

Hi Rekha.

Thank you for your response. The information was very useful. I also appreciate the pointers. 

Your welcome, Joan, and I hope your new project ticks all the right boxes. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths