🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting back into UpWork with a different pro...
Page options
anastasiiamazur
Community Member

Getting back into UpWork with a different profession

Hello Upwork Community,

I worked on the platform a few years ago as a Project Manager, had 1 successful contract which I've closed, but since then I haven't been active on Upwork due to full-time job in the office, which I've lost in March 2022 because of war in my native country (I'm from Ukraine). So now I'm looking to get back into freelancing and I have a several questions regarding my Upwork profile.

I've changed my career to graphic and UI/UX design in late 2020, and I don't do project management anymore. I'm not sure how should I renew my Upwork profile accordingly. I know that I'm not allowed to create new profile by Upwork policy, however I don't want to add Design&UI/UX as an additional specialized profile because it's basically my occupation now and I have experience in this area.

So, is it ok to change categories in profile settings, as far as title, main profile information and skills sections in existing profile? I would also like to upload a more recent photo, portfolio items and change employment history as well to present myself as a graphic designer. I just want to make sure that none of these steps violate Upwork rules and policies.

Other than that I'm not sure what to do with a completed contract in the work history that clearly says "Website Project Manager" - wouldn't that look weird to potential clients who look at my profile?

If you have dealt before with career change on Upwork, please advise on my questions above. Any information would be appreciated! Thank you for your time.

-Anastasiia

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Anastasiia,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd be happy to help you with your questions.

You're right that creating an entirely new account isn't allowed. It is a violation of TOS, besides, I think you'll have more success using your existing profile where you already have some work history and good feedback.

You can, however, make changes to your current profile so that it reflects your skills, expertise and the field you'd like to focus on. You can update your category in your Profile Settings and update your profile title, overview, portfolio, education and experience information by going to Find Work> Profile. If you'd like you can still add Specialized Profiles and even have two separate ones - one to showcase your Project Management background and one for UI/UX design.

Stay safe! I hope you will be able to find success, opportunities and some stability via Upwork during this difficult time. Don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have questions or would like some feedback and tips from our Community members. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Anastasiia,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd be happy to help you with your questions.

You're right that creating an entirely new account isn't allowed. It is a violation of TOS, besides, I think you'll have more success using your existing profile where you already have some work history and good feedback.

You can, however, make changes to your current profile so that it reflects your skills, expertise and the field you'd like to focus on. You can update your category in your Profile Settings and update your profile title, overview, portfolio, education and experience information by going to Find Work> Profile. If you'd like you can still add Specialized Profiles and even have two separate ones - one to showcase your Project Management background and one for UI/UX design.

Stay safe! I hope you will be able to find success, opportunities and some stability via Upwork during this difficult time. Don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have questions or would like some feedback and tips from our Community members. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Thank you so much for the response! I have started updating my old profile, although in the future I may consider creating Specialized Profile for Project Management.

I think that you have extensive experience in working with the platform as a community manager, so I consider your opinion valuable. Do you think that potential clients will not be deterred by the fact that the previous work history in the profile is in a completely different specialty?

Thank you for your time and for kind words! We are strong together and we will get through these times of hardship.

Stay safe!

-Anastasiia

It might be confusing for some clients, others might not care at all. In any case, it's always better to have a work history than having none, even if it's from different skills. 

Just make sure you have relevant portfolio pieces to showcase your skills. 

I wish you all the luck to get this going!

Also make sure to make your profile public, I can imagine that many people are looking to hire from Ukraine specifically nowadays (but of course I don't know that for sure). 

Anastasiia,

I definitely agree with Martina that having some work history (even if it's not very relevant to the skills you're currently marketing on your profile) is advantageous. I've seen examples of freelancers finding success after taking a break from Upwork to do some training and gain new skills, then updating their profile with a new category and information. So it's definitely possible! 
Let us know if you have any additional questions or if you need some feedback about your profile once you update it. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths