🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How do deal with a client crushing your recom...
Page options
mapes_patty
Community Member

How do deal with a client crushing your recommended %

I am pretty new to upwork, and I'm afraid I could be at the end as well. I had a client (gave a different name so I couldn't vet him) and after I was about half done with the project he wanted a full refund, and the work I had done. It was a job to download data, create a means to give enhanced reporting. I gave him the data and a full refund but now I realize he probably still gave me a bad review, no recommendation. My client's recommend # is 80%. (I had another client who wanted something in excel that she couldn't really explain until I delievered some files and she said that wasn't what she wanted. On me I know.) She gave me a good enough review, but my recommended dropped to 80%. Now I'm afraid it will drop lower, and I will be unable to jobs. I have a couple of bigger projects, one just added a new project, and the other is close to closing. I'm terrified that I won't survive this. Is there anything I can do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kat303
Community Member

Patricia M wrote:

I am pretty new to upwork, and I'm afraid I could be at the end as well. I had a client (gave a different name so I couldn't vet him) and after I was about half done with the project he wanted a full refund, and the work I had done. It was a job to download data, create a means to give enhanced reporting. I gave him the data and a full refund but now I realize he probably still gave me a bad review, no recommendation. My client's recommend # is 80%. (I had another client who wanted something in excel that she couldn't really explain until I delievered some files and she said that wasn't what she wanted. On me I know.) She gave me a good enough review, but my recommended dropped to 80%. Now I'm afraid it will drop lower, and I will be unable to jobs. I have a couple of bigger projects, one just added a new project, and the other is close to closing. I'm terrified that I won't survive this. Is there anything I can do?

----------------

Yes, Stop giving refunds just because a client asks for one. If you did the work as to the scope of the job and the work was high quality, then you deserve to be paid for it. Giving refunds just because a client asks for one reinforces the notion that this tactic can be used on other freelancers. You put in the time and effort and you need to be paid for it. So what did you accomplish for giving that refund? Whether or not you get a (negative) review you now have a job with no money earned which will affect your JSS. 

As for that other job, you should have requested to see the material/files before you accepted the offer. And especially if the client doesn't know what they want, you could have suggested that a small test job be set up with escrow funded for what you think it would cost for that test job. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Stop paying attention to the numbers and continue to be the professional you are. It'll bounce back up.

re: "Is there anything I can do?"

If you go to your Upwork user settings page, and click on "Advanced Settings," and then click on the "JSS Settings" tab, there is a checkbox: "Prevent Client Recommend % from Going Lower."

By default, that setting is NOT checked. Just check that and then click "Save Settings."

Obviously I'm kidding.

If you are terrified of this score going lower, then you have two choices:

a) Stop using Upwork. The score will not go lower, and even it does, it won't matter

[or]

b) Continue being the best freelancer you can be. Or maybe start being even better than you have been before. Focus on work that you really are the master of. Under-promise and over-deliver. Also: check out the feedback that other freelancers left for a client. Check out the feedback that prospective clients left for freelancers. If a client seems difficult to please, you can choose to not work for her.

re: "I had a client (gave a different name so I couldn't vet him)"

I have completed over 200 jobs on Upwork.

I have never "vetted" a client.

I have never googled the name fo any client or company associated with a project.

Whether you do something like that is your business. But I do not believe this has much to do with JSS.

I only look at the information about a client that is available on Upwork.

And I insist on seeing input files before I start a project (if applicable). So I know what I'm dealing with.

I've completed nowhere near 200 jobs on UW but I'm pretty happy with the money I've earned and most of the clients I've worked with. Unlike Preston, I absolutely vet clients as deeply as I can. It's part and parcel of determining whether or not there's a good fit between their needs and my capabilities. Knowing something about them helps me understand where they are coming from so I can scale my questions and recommendations appropriately. Of course, it's not always possible to tell anything until I get a name or email address. But given any clue, I spend a minute or two tracking them down.

It depends on your field, obviously. I think Preston's work is largely technical and outcomes are fairly clear-cut. Mine is highly consultative and budgets range from a few hundred dollars to five figures. 

Thank you!  When I said I vet people, I'm not tryin to determine their identity because I rely on Upwork for that.  My work is technical but what I am looking for is, would this person really understand the vocabulary they are using? If I am projecting a course will they know what the tasks are, as opposed to say yes, yes, and having no idea.  I can adapt how I communicate but I find getting context helpful.

I appreciate your input very much.

Patty

The button part was a little mean but I'm hoping it is funny on down the road. 

Every project I do, I learn things to do and certainly paying more to comments, both from freelancers and clients.

So, I do appreciate your response.

Thank you,

Patty

kat303
Community Member

Patricia M wrote:

----------------

Yes, Stop giving refunds just because a client asks for one. If you did the work as to the scope of the job and the work was high quality, then you deserve to be paid for it. Giving refunds just because a client asks for one reinforces the notion that this tactic can be used on other freelancers. You put in the time and effort and you need to be paid for it. So what did you accomplish for giving that refund? Whether or not you get a (negative) review you now have a job with no money earned which will affect your JSS. 

As for that other job, you should have requested to see the material/files before you accepted the offer. And especially if the client doesn't know what they want, you could have suggested that a small test job be set up with escrow funded for what you think it would cost for that test job. 

Yes, point taken on both counts.  After the first job I did make more explicit request prior to accepting a job and that has worked fine.  I also don't imagine I will give any more refunds. I was just shocked, at the turn in the client, and I hadn't grasped the full implications of doing that. 

Thank you for your input.

Patty

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths