🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How long did it take for you to start Freelan...
Page options
acidicpaper
Community Member

How long did it take for you to start Freelancing?

Hello all - my name is Dean.

I signed up to Upwork at the advice of my future brother-in-law. After two refusals I finally got accepted. However, I feel like I am getting a bit frustrated by the lack of responses so far, as well as the work that I feel best matches my skills.

Is it something I'm missing perhaps? I don't have a large portfolio uploaded onto here - but that would be the reason why I am here; to expand and update it since I left University.

So I guess the question is guys - how did you start up? Is there a secret formula? Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
craiggabriel
Community Member

@Dean M wrote:

I signed up to Upwork at the advice of my future brother-in-law. After two refusals I finally got accepted. However, I feel like I am getting a bit frustrated by the lack of responses so far, as well as the work that I feel best matches my skills.

Is it something I'm missing perhaps? I don't have a large portfolio uploaded onto here - but that would be the reason why I am here; to expand and update it since I left University.

So I guess the question is guys - how did you start up? Is there a secret formula? Thank you!

It can certainly be difficult. For one thing, you'll be competing not just with people who are looking to build on what they did in school and establish themselves as professionals, but people who are already established professionals. All else being equal, think about whom clients are more likely to choose.

That's not an insurmountable problem though. But it makes what's already tough that much tougher. Chances are your percentage of acceptances to your proposals will be low, but if you're good at what you do, craft individualized proposals to fit the jobs you're interested in, present yourself well, etc., it doesn't have to be zero.

I don't think there's any big secret. But there's plenty of material here in these forums, including what has already been referenced in this thread, that can help. So it would be worth your while to explore.

One thing I noticed is that the pay rate you mention on your profile is really, really low. It may seem like the more inexpensive your services are the better chance you have (because wouldn't anyone prefer to pay less rather than more for the same work?), but paradoxically it can actually make you less attractive if you express a willingness to work so cheap. A lot of people will think it must be because you don't provide good work, and they'll pass you by.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Dean,

Welcome to Upwork! Please click these links to help you boost your chances of getting hired here on Upwork:

Getting your first job

Submitting a proposal

Enhance your profile

Untitled
r2streu
Community Member

You've gotten one job out of three proposals?

Am I missing something? What's the problem?

@Randy S wrote:

You've gotten one job out of three proposals?

Am I missing something? What's the problem?

I took him to be saying his profile was accepted by Upwork on his third try, not that he got a job on his third try. (But I'm not sure.)

craiggabriel
Community Member

@Dean M wrote:

It can certainly be difficult. For one thing, you'll be competing not just with people who are looking to build on what they did in school and establish themselves as professionals, but people who are already established professionals. All else being equal, think about whom clients are more likely to choose.

That's not an insurmountable problem though. But it makes what's already tough that much tougher. Chances are your percentage of acceptances to your proposals will be low, but if you're good at what you do, craft individualized proposals to fit the jobs you're interested in, present yourself well, etc., it doesn't have to be zero.

I don't think there's any big secret. But there's plenty of material here in these forums, including what has already been referenced in this thread, that can help. So it would be worth your while to explore.

One thing I noticed is that the pay rate you mention on your profile is really, really low. It may seem like the more inexpensive your services are the better chance you have (because wouldn't anyone prefer to pay less rather than more for the same work?), but paradoxically it can actually make you less attractive if you express a willingness to work so cheap. A lot of people will think it must be because you don't provide good work, and they'll pass you by.

husainaa
Community Member

As with everything in life, it's important to have the right expectations when your first starting your freelancing career—Expect to struggle. What you're going through is pretty normal.

Not sure how to respond as a general reply but this comment is supposed to be in place as a response to each reply so far.

Thank you all for your reply. The general gist of things seems to make sense - I guess im just frustrated that nothings really happening yet but as someone pointed out, that's entirely normal.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths