🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to apply to a job effectively when I am n...
Page options
tuohy_p
Community Member

How to apply to a job effectively when I am new to Upwork

Hello all, I recently signed up to Upwork platform and started to take a look over some projects which seem like a perfect fit for my skills, but I am not sure how to write bid which can attract more clients with little knowledge and experience to Upwork, having no idea how it's shown to clients and getting them idea about my appeal.

Some questions might come up for now:

- Is it worth giving them my past experienced URLs similar to what they ask?

- Better to have long greetings or short message?

- Explain my past experiences before getting into Upwork freelancer

Thanks for your help in advance!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tuohy_p
Community Member

Great advice! Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JoanneP

Hi Patrick,

When you apply for jobs, make sure your proposal is well written and that you're absolutely qualified and certain of your ability to complete the job you're applying for.

You may want to check these articles to help you have a higher chance of getting noticed by clients:

How to Make Your Freelancer Profile More Visible & Appealing to Big Clients on Upwork 

Enhance Your Upwork Freelancer Profile for Greater Success 

How to Create a Proposal That Wins Jobs

Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
tuohy_p
Community Member

Great advice! Thanks!

5a6329ea
Community Member

hi. i want to work/accept a job posted by someone else but i don t know how to apply fot that job, can you help me? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stoica,

Looks like you created the Client account. If you would like to be able to submit a proposal as a Freelancer, you will need to create a Freelancer account and get it approved.  

You can be a Client and a Freelancer using the same account. You’ll use the same account to log in to Upwork, but the two parts of your account will be kept entirely separate. You’ll be able to easily switch between the two as needed. To create a Freelancer account on your existing account, please follow up instructions in this help article.

You will need to fill out your application and submit it for a review, please allow up to 24 hours for the review to be completed.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
alexis-arinze
Community Member

At the very start, I used to send out long cover letters. I've since found out that short and to-the-point messages are what clients like. You should still try to summarize your skills and knowledge of the project as best you can but ensure that it's not novel length.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

The client only sees the first couple of lines of your cover letter unless they click it open. So make that space count. You want them to open it and upon reading it, to contact you for further discussion. They have access to your profile which should tell them whatever they need to know about your qualifications and experience. Use the cover letter to demonstrate that you understand their need -- which may mean you understand which questions to ask them, if they have not included sufficient detail in their job post -- and have the expertise to meet it.

Someone who's a veteran developer here will likely chime in about the best way to share samples/examples of your work with prospective clients.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths