🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to approach a client with no payment hist...
Page options
sankha_subhra
Community Member

How to approach a client with no payment history?

I want to approach a client who has no payment history. Is it okay to work with them, if no how can I understand which whom can I work.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
khandekar_sarang
Community Member

Hi,
I understand your dilemma. Check following points before you start working with new client

1. Payment method is verified.

2. Keep everything on Upwork i.e. contact sharing or do not agree on free work or unusual payment agremment out of Upwork. Avoid sharing contact until your contract is signed.

3. Avoid contract sign if you find anything suspecious. 

Hope this answer will clear your doubts a little bit.

Regards,

Sarang

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
khandekar_sarang
Community Member

Hi,
I understand your dilemma. Check following points before you start working with new client

1. Payment method is verified.

2. Keep everything on Upwork i.e. contact sharing or do not agree on free work or unusual payment agremment out of Upwork. Avoid sharing contact until your contract is signed.

3. Avoid contract sign if you find anything suspecious. 

Hope this answer will clear your doubts a little bit.

Regards,

Sarang

Thanks, I will remember your points. 

bundie702
Community Member

I'd add also to break up the job into more than one milestone for the job if it's fixed price. I've heard of unscrupulous clients who claim the work was unsatisfactory and request refunds, and others who use stolen credit cards, with any payments made to freelancer charged back to them. If the client approves one milestone, that gives less credence to the "unsatisfactory" excuse, and also, you'll find out sooner rather than later if there's an issue with their credit card. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths