🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to get a Client
Page options
9f6d173b
Community Member

How to get a Client

Please help how can I get client, i want to show them the skills i have but doesn't give me a chance to prove. I send my proposal but one of them doesn't notice mine 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5fd3c6f8
Community Member

Hi Amber Mae,

Getting your first client on Upwork can be challenging, but with persistence and the right approach, you can increase your chances of success. Here are some steps to help you get noticed by clients:

1. **Optimize Your Upwork Profile:**
- Ensure your profile is complete with a professional photo, a clear and concise headline, and a well-written overview that showcases your skills and expertise.
- Highlight any relevant experience and education in your profile.

2. **Choose the Right Skills:**
- Select skills on your profile that align with your expertise. Be specific and choose skills that potential clients are likely to search for.

3. **Craft Compelling Proposals:**
- When sending proposals, tailor each one to the specific job you're applying for. Address the client by name if possible.
- Highlight your relevant skills and experience, and explain how you can solve the client's problem or meet their needs.
- Keep your proposals concise and professional.

4. **Build a Portfolio:**
- Create a portfolio of your work to showcase your skills. Include samples, case studies, or links to previous projects.
- A strong portfolio can make a big difference in attracting clients.

5. **Start with Small Projects:**
- Consider applying for smaller projects to build your reputation and gain feedback. Clients may be more willing to hire newcomers for lower-risk tasks.

6. **Network and Connect:**
- Join Upwork's forums and participate in discussions. Connect with other freelancers and clients.
- Building relationships and a positive online presence can lead to referrals and opportunities.

7. **Be Patient and Persistent:**
- Landing your first client may take time, so be patient. Keep applying for jobs and improving your skills and profile.
- Don't be discouraged by rejections; they are a part of the freelancing journey.

8. **Check for Job Postings Regularly:**
- New job postings appear frequently on Upwork. Check for new opportunities daily and apply promptly.

9. **Consider Upwork Tests and Certifications:**
- Taking relevant Upwork tests and earning certifications can demonstrate your expertise to clients.

10. **Professionalism is Key:**
- Maintain professionalism in your communication with clients. Respond promptly and courteously to messages.

Remember, success on Upwork often builds over time. As you gain experience and positive reviews, more clients may notice your proposals and hire you. Keep refining your skills, applying for jobs, and delivering high-quality work to build a successful freelance career.

Best of luck in your freelancing journey!

Tural Babashov

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
5fd3c6f8
Community Member

Hi Amber Mae,

Getting your first client on Upwork can be challenging, but with persistence and the right approach, you can increase your chances of success. Here are some steps to help you get noticed by clients:

1. **Optimize Your Upwork Profile:**
- Ensure your profile is complete with a professional photo, a clear and concise headline, and a well-written overview that showcases your skills and expertise.
- Highlight any relevant experience and education in your profile.

2. **Choose the Right Skills:**
- Select skills on your profile that align with your expertise. Be specific and choose skills that potential clients are likely to search for.

3. **Craft Compelling Proposals:**
- When sending proposals, tailor each one to the specific job you're applying for. Address the client by name if possible.
- Highlight your relevant skills and experience, and explain how you can solve the client's problem or meet their needs.
- Keep your proposals concise and professional.

4. **Build a Portfolio:**
- Create a portfolio of your work to showcase your skills. Include samples, case studies, or links to previous projects.
- A strong portfolio can make a big difference in attracting clients.

5. **Start with Small Projects:**
- Consider applying for smaller projects to build your reputation and gain feedback. Clients may be more willing to hire newcomers for lower-risk tasks.

- Join Upwork's forums and participate in discussions. Connect with other freelancers and clients.
- Building relationships and a positive online presence can lead to referrals and opportunities.

7. **Be Patient and Persistent:**
- Landing your first client may take time, so be patient. Keep applying for jobs and improving your skills and profile.
- Don't be discouraged by rejections; they are a part of the freelancing journey.

8. **Check for Job Postings Regularly:**
- New job postings appear frequently on Upwork. Check for new opportunities daily and apply promptly.

9. **Consider Upwork Tests and Certifications:**
- Taking relevant Upwork tests and earning certifications can demonstrate your expertise to clients.

10. **Professionalism is Key:**
- Maintain professionalism in your communication with clients. Respond promptly and courteously to messages.

Remember, success on Upwork often builds over time. As you gain experience and positive reviews, more clients may notice your proposals and hire you. Keep refining your skills, applying for jobs, and delivering high-quality work to build a successful freelance career.

Best of luck in your freelancing journey!

Tural Babashov

Tural B wrote:

Wrong assessment.

Can you give me a piece of advise? thank youu ☺️

Joining the forums has nothing to do with being hired. There is no building relationships etc. Just ask how many people have connected with a great client or freelancer. Of course, that doesn't count the farmers.

Wow! thank you so much Sir for that word of wisdom .. I'll follow what you said. ☺️☺️

ChatGPT isn't accurate.

Hello hope you are doing great!
Please evaluate my profile and let me know if there are any adjustments I need make.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01201e431df5498c1a

First, get the Telegram and Yahoo messaging out of your profile. You can't talk to anyone outside of Upwork before a contract is in place. You are inviting scammers. You need to use the Academy link at the top of the page to learn about the platform and how to be safe from scammers. Please read this excellent information from Wes. Currently, your incomplete profile tells the scammers you haven't followed the rules.

Thank you! I'll get rid that info right away. ☺️

what if i spend my all connects after spending them how can i gat them back

You don't get them back and would have to buy more connects if you want to continue sending proposals. Unfortunately, you won't be able to find any writing work here because you obviously don't speak fluent English, you have no portfolio, and no client will pay the high hourly rate that you're requesting. I would recommend that you don't waste your time and money.

Thanks Tural for the guidelines 

Yes  

Thank you for the encouragement, I will keep trying and putting all effort in what I do

I hope you will use the link to the Academy at the top of the page. The chatbots leave out a lot of information, and get other items wrong. Learn from Upwork, and be safe.

9f6d173b
Community Member

Hi, I got over this client today, he asked me to work for him and then he made a job offer details which both of us agreed of in Fixed price $. But then, when i have to accept the offer . Its says that "It was widrawn by the client' whats the possible reason why he widrawn.

I asked him to create new job offer since hes replying to me, but he keeps insisting that he didnt widrawn it he will finds out in Upwork management whats happen. Do you think its the client or the Upwork who widraw it

annieravi
Community Member

Hello fellow freelancers! Can you please help a girl out by giving me your opinion on my profile? Much appreciated x

931725b7
Community Member

Having a perfect profile optimization

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths