🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I do not have VAT number
Page options
luciacr
Community Member

I do not have VAT number

Hello,

I am from Spain. I made my profile about a year ago and did a few projects already. But I read on internet a few months ago that I shouldn't work without VAT number because you are not able to do invoices without it(?) and also said that would be illegal if you work without it(?) I am not sure about all this and my main doubt is, should I get a VAT number if I want to keep working here, and how do people from Europe declare the money (taxes)? Thank you so much, this is sooo confusing for me.. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Lucia C wrote:

Hello,

I am from Spain. I made my profile about a year ago and did a few projects already. But I read on internet a few months ago that I shouldn't work without VAT number because you are not able to do invoices without it(?) and also said that would be illegal if you work without it(?) I am not sure about all this and my main doubt is, should I get a VAT number if I want to keep working here, and how do people from Europe declare the money (taxes)? Thank you so much, this is sooo confusing for me.. 

That is nonsense. You don't need a VAT number to work on upwork, just as any small business does not need one. You will pay VAT on your fees without one, though.

VAT aside, you need to declare your income for income tax according to your local regulations. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Lucia C wrote:

Hello,

That is nonsense. You don't need a VAT number to work on upwork, just as any small business does not need one. You will pay VAT on your fees without one, though.

VAT aside, you need to declare your income for income tax according to your local regulations. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths