cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a profile picture required or optional

Kevin H Member Since: May 5, 2017
1 of 38

1.Is a profile picture required or optional?

2.Can I upload a temporarily blank picture?  

It seems I can't save my profile because it says something along the lines of "profile picture is required" before I can save the profile info.  It makes it seem like having a profile picture is required  : /

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
2 of 38

@ Kevin H.:

Yes, a profile picture is required; it must be an actual photo of you.  That and other requirements are noted in the TOS (terms of service) which you should read.  Moderator Vladimir G.'s post at the beginning of "New to Upwork" will further assist you.  You have MUCH to learn before becoming a Freelancer on Upwork.  

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
3 of 38
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 38

I feel like a picture is required of freelancers, but not required for clients.

Which seems fine to me.

If I go to a store to buy something, the employees may well be required to wear name tags and/ or a uniform, but customers may have fewer requirements about their appearance.

Eric H Member Since: Feb 23, 2018
5 of 38

The entire reason I would be working with Upwork is because my face is disfigured and not considered acceptable for standard employment. Now you're saying in order to use Upwork, I have to supply a picture of my face, which will guarantee I will never get hired? You really should put that limitation up front, so people like myself won't waste their time.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 38

I'm sorry to hear that, Eric. I hope you don't get disheartened to freelance on Upwork by this requirement. 

While it is required to upload a profile photo to complete your profile on Upwork and start bidding for jobs in the marketplace, I will go ahead and share your case with the team. Once I have more information, the team willl reach out to you on the same thread, or directly via email. 

-Avery
Untitled
7 of 38

Also, what about those people who have no means to produce a photo? I have no camera and no safe place to take the picture; If I were wealthy enough to have both I wouldn't need to resort to freelancing and contract work to survive. You are effectvely discriminating against the people who most need your service.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 38

Hi Eric, 

Please know that we welcome freelancers regardless of their religion, ethnicity, and/or disability. You should be able to take a photo with a regular smart phone, or your desktop or laptop's webcam. It doesn't necessarily have to be taken with a camera. 

I have escalated your concern to the team and I will get back to you once it has already been reviewed. If you are going through any issues other than uploading a profile picture, let me know and I will be glad to help. 

-Avery
Untitled
9 of 38

Again, you assume I'm wealthy enough to have either. You simply do not understand poverty. You clearly will not be able to meet my needs.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 38

@Eric H wrote:

Again, you assume I'm wealthy enough to have either. You simply do not understand poverty. You clearly will not be able to meet my needs.

Surely you own ID with a photo? It is reasonable to assume that you have access to a computer since you are posting here and have set up a profile offering services that clearly require a computer.

If you do not own or have access to a computer, how are you posting here and how would you work online without access to the most basic tool (a computer) needed to do freelance work on an online marketplace?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS