🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is this a scam?
Page options
dbd428af
Community Member

Is this a scam?

Hello, I'm not sure whether I got scammed.

Here's what happened:

I got a proposal from some client. I accepted it and reached out.

Without any mention about the contract, he asked me to do the "sample" work(very short though. It took me like 8 minutes or so).

It wasn't very demanding, so I just did the job and sent it via upwork message.

He said he'll let me know if my work is approved. This was four days ago.

Is this a scam?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I don't know if it's a scam, but you did free work. Clients are not allowed to ask for free work. Flag the job posting and move on. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I don't know if it's a scam, but you did free work. Clients are not allowed to ask for free work. Flag the job posting and move on. 

NikolaS

Hi Jiwon,

I checked and I would like to clarify that you were not hired for this job and shouldn't provide any work until your client sends you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab. Please note that any request for free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

Please check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. 

It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the terms of further engagement on the contract and attempt to resolve the situation amicably.

Additionally, I advise you to check this help article to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths