🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is this normal? Client offering more money th...
Page options
151f3091
Community Member

Is this normal? Client offering more money than my proposal

Hi, 

I hope you are all doing well!

I recently received my first Upwork contract offer, but I am slightly wary.

It is an hourly-based contract and the client is offering $45 more per hour than I requested in my initial proposal.

Is this normal, or is this a sign of a scam?

Thanks so much for any and all help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
luqman_mak
Community Member

10 REPLIES 10
luqman_mak
Community Member

Some clients are reasonable and offer a rate that is considered fair. 

This is a good point, especially since the OP's hourly rate is quite low. (Edited to add: But I'm not saying "Don't be wary." Do be wary.)

I agree! I hire on Upwork for personal projects, and I would add to the rate if I feel the freelancer is not charging their worth. But, of course, we should always be wary to make sure we're safe when conducting our independent business. 

Arin, since you are new, I highly recommend reading up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, this Community article, and these articles for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

I can see that happening when a large corporation hires freelancers, and e.g. pays everybody the same for a specific skill set. Especially when that corporation is upwork. It would look really bad if you guys haggled on price.

The same is not true for the average upwork client. Paying 300% more than the freelancer's hourly rate? When the freelancer has no work history, no feedback, nothing? I see an "oops I mistakenly put in the wrong hourly rate, please return my money or better yet, pay the group of people I can't pay directly because of reasons" coming up. Let's be real here. 

Agree the point

luqman_mak
Community Member

if you have not already, have a read on the most common red flags here:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Thank you so much for this link! Very helpful and eye-opening 🙂

pgiambalvo
Community Member

I'd be very wary.

Thank you for your response! Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling off about it 🙂

roberty1y
Community Member

If you start a contract, just make sure you use the time tracker and make memos, so the pay can't be disputed later.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths