🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Payment Protection
Page options
7f04545e
Community Member

Payment Protection

I'm looking to hire for a project that could be $3k+

what safety parameters are in place to make sure that both parties are satisfied with job/payment?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I'm looking to hire for a project that could be $3k+. What safety parameters are in place to make sure that both parties are satisfied with job/payment?"

I don't work for Upwork. As a client, I have hired 178 freelancers. And I use Upwork extensively as a freelancer.

In my opinion, the greatest thing that a client can do to protect themselves is to plan to never ask a freelancer for money, no matter what. Ever. Because if a client plans to ask a freelancer for money, they will probably FAIL to get money back.

So in order to SAVE TIME and SAVE MONEY, a client should proactively plan to NOT ask for a "refund" or use the "dispute" process or go to "arbitration." Those are real mechanisms and procedures that Upwork has in place, but they are traps. Refund thinking hurts clients. A client who THINKS he can hire a freelancer to do some work for him, and then pay the freelancer $3000 and then get that money back if something goes wrong... That client is probably going to lose $3000.

What do I think the client SHOULD do in order to protect themselves?
The client should monitor each freelancer's work, especially early on. Review the work carefully. And if the client does not love the freelancer's work, the client should STOP PAYING MONEY to the freelancer. The client should end the contract and assign the remaining work to OTHER MEMBERS OF THE TEAM who provide the highest value to the client.

What if you are the freelancer?
For maximum protection, you will agree to work ONLY using an hourly contract. And you will follow all the rules for Upwork Payment Protection. Then, if something goes wrong with the client's payment method, Upwork will pay you out of their own pocket.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Let me tell you a story about a client named "Melissa."

She hired a freelancer to create a web application that was important for her company.

She paid the freelancer $3000, using a fixed-price contract.

But when the developer finished the project, it was a complete mess. Melissa couldn't use any of it.

She tried to get her money back, but never was able to get ANY money back.

She thought she was protected. Big mistake.

Let me tell you a story about a client named "Max."

He hired a freelancer to create a web application that was important for his company.

He paid the freelancer about $3000, using an hourly contract.

But when the developer finished the project, it was a complete mess. Max couldn't use any of it.

He tried to get his money back, but he was never was able to get ANY money back.

He thought he was protected. Big mistake.

Neither Melissa nor Max understood how Upwork Payment Protection works. That is why they lost money.

I understand how Upwork Payment Protection works, and I have an extensive of the Upwork user interface. Because of that, I have hired 178 freelancers and never lost money. I never need help from Upwork Customer Support.

YOU TOO can acquire such knowledge. Information about how to use Upwork effectively as either client or freelancer is freely available in the Community Forum and in the Help section. And if you aren't sure about something, you can post a question here and helpful people will answer your question.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Here's some information about the dispute process: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours

However, as Preston says, you need to monitor the freelancer's work, especially early in the process, and stop working with them if anything seems off. If you plan to go for a fixed price contract, set a small initial milestone payment and don't release it until the work is delivered (no up-front or deposit payments). If it's an hourly project, be sure to look at the work diary and stop the contract if you notice anything amiss. 

I think that the most important thing to keep in mind is that you get what you pay for. There are lots of freelancers available for bargain prices and it can be tempting to hire one of them, but anyone with geniune expertise and experience won't work for a low rate.

1cca8d3c
Community Member

Hey
i am also going to work on a project of $5k. Can anyone please let me know what can be done with the client in terms of protection and safety for a freelancer? doing 50% advance and 50% after the work is fine option in this situation or is a there a better way available?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths