🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » People are asking me to use my account
Page options
merigliano_v
Community Member

People are asking me to use my account

Hello,

it has happened to me on more than one occasion that people from other freelancing websites ask me to give them my UpWork account. I have never agreed to it as I do realise it could, and probably is, a scam.

I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dioneda,

Thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community post.
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

322 REPLIES 322

Hi Catalina,

Thank you for your message. Creating a fake Upwork account or sharing your account is considered a serious violation of Upwork TOS. Please use the "Flag as Inappropriate" option throughout the site to report this client.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
50f2498c
Community Member

Hello, 

How are you?

I could see some guys to rent upwork profile

Here is the link of the profile

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Also I attach the screenshots to verify the rent. he gave the access of the profile to me, so I could take a screenshot of private information of the profile.

I would like you to resolve the problem asap, because it makes many clients to get a scam by these guys.

Regards

Hi Markos,

Thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace.

For more information about our efforts, please see this Community post.
~ Nikola
Upwork
50f2498c
Community Member

I found another profile to rent upwork profile

And I attach the similar screenshots of this profile

b60f10f8
Community Member

Hi, I've received one broadcasting message on Skype.

Of course I cannot believe it, but I'd like to share it to everyone.

Because it is useful to know it for clients and freelancers.

According to the message, the talent's(scammer) account name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

The account holder is trying to sell it to another freelancers, and steal their money.

Below are from the message.

Be careful.

Teimuraz is a real scammer, why the account is still alive?

Hi John,

Thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community post.

~ Nikola
Upwork
3d757a1e
Community Member

Hello, everyone.

Now there are so many scammer upwork brokers and they violate upwork rule.

So our marketplace is so mess.
I had found a new scammer upwork broker account.
This is his account profile.

And I have attached some screenshots for his account and chatting history.

Thanks

Sorry for heard that.
I think brokers accounts like that has been violate upwork rule, so should be blocked the acount.

Same idea.

Well, of course there is no such thing as a legitimate "Upwork broker."

Anyone involved in ths sort of thing can and should have their Upwork access permanently terminated.

Hi Jim,

~ Nikola
Upwork
dc36deb6
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Dear Upwork Support Team,
I am writing to bring to your attention a serious matter that I recently stumbled upon while exploring the platform. I came across a profile belonging to an individual who I know personally and can confirm that they are not a developer. Upon questioning this individual, they revealed to me that they had rented their ID card and bank information to someone else for a day for a sum of money, and that their friend had asked them to do so. This has serious implications as it appears that their friend may have used this information to scam others or engage in fraudulent activity on Upwork's platform.
As a concerned user of Upwork, I urge you to investigate this matter thoroughly and take appropriate action to prevent any further fraudulent activity. I would be happy to provide any further information or details that may be necessary to help facilitate this process.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Sincerely,
Anton, Upwork User

Hi Anton,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We understand your concern regarding your colleague or acquaintance's identity being used by another person. When you encounter suspicious user activity in Upwork, we highly recommend that you send us a flag in order for it to be investigated by the dedicated department. We take these cases seriously and will take action based on our internal processes.

~ AJ
Upwork
xiongxiaofei411
Community Member

Hi, how are you ?
I am trying to report one Ukrainian guy who is renting out his upwork account to someone else at the cost of $300 per month.

Use this option if you want to report.

1.jpg

Why do you think that he renting out profile?

I can't upload pictures there

I have proof images

Upwork team will contact you for details. Share it there. 

This is public forum, you cannot post here any private info. 

They didn't contact me yet

Hi XiaoFei,

~ Nikola
Upwork

Where can I submit the images / screenshots ?

Hi XiaoFei,

There's no need for that anymore but we appreciate your initiative to help. It looks like you included the link and email address on your initial post which Nikola has removed since it is against our Community Guidelines to share any identifying information of another user. But rest assured that the information you shared was forwarded to the relevant team.

~ AJ
Upwork

I found somethinig strange. I sent an email to upwork help with the screenshots proving his account share. But my request is marked as resolved and the account is still active.

Does this mean account renting is okay and I can also do that ?

Hi, I am going to report one Ukraine profile - **Edited for Community Guidelines**, he is renting out his upwork account at $300 per month.

Here is proof screenshots. ( attached )

And his upwork profile link 

Hi XiaoFei,

Thank you for following up. No, renting an account is not allowed. I shared the information you provided with the appropriate team and I assure you that they will look into this further and take appropriate actions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
647fa7a0
Community Member

Hi,

this same approach just happened with me, through Behance.

He was asking me to lend my Upwork account. I refused it, but I am still worried with my data.

jmv_412
Community Member

Not sure if this is still an open thread, but I received the standard "I have a proposal yada yada...I'd use your Upwork account to send proposals and my team will handle work and you get x percent of profits." He didn't send this through Upwork, it was through LinkedIn and it was very thorough, his "work experience" includes a current position as senior frontend engineer at Netflix. Is this something outside the control of Upwork as the message was sent to me through a social media platform? I already contacted Netflix, not expecting anything to come of that but wanted to see if anything can be done to shut this guy down. Scammers profiles on social media are getting more sophisticated so others can easily fall prey to it. 

I've gotten these before, but never on social media. And after googling his "name" it looks like some anime character's name from a show called Naruto 😂

Let me know if I can be of any help!

Hi Justin,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the offer and the person you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork
95d0e482
Community Member

Ohh Jesus, you just save me from one of the scammers, I'm new in this forum and just got a message from unknown person to give him access to my upwork account. Thank you and please let it be known to the fresh users that are coming in.

952b9ba0
Community Member

Hi, Support and everybody.

Here are the 3 FAKE Serbia freelancer accounts.

**Edited for Community Guidelines** is a multiple Serbia Upwork freelancer accounts seller.

Here is one example screenshot.

After upwork and paypal are verified, the**Edited for Community Guidelines** requires additional price for Tax Pin number to verify tax info in each Upwork account. 

If you don't send tax info price, he close remote computers without refund money, and sell the accounts to another freelancers who want to have upwork freelancer accounts.

He is a dangerous guy.

Those accounts should be closed to protect other people.

How to report fake upwork accounts to support team?

Hi Su,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You can use the "Flag as Inappropriate" option throughout the site to report any suspicious activity to our team. Our team will review and take action based on our internal guidelines.

- Pradeep

Upwork

I flaged 3 freelancers as Inappropriate. But how can I provide you the materials that those are fake accounts?

Perhaps, before reporting other freelancers' accounts, you should take your profile seriously. You can start by putting a photo of yourself, not a drawing of a pig. And then complete the rest. Now your profile could also be taken as fake and reported.
Having said that, if you have more evidence that they are fakes, you can write to CS with the data.

Hi, Maria. I shared the material data but someone edited my first post. I want to forward some emails to upwork team to prove data, but I don't know how to share the sense data. It seems forum does not accept it.

If someone flaged my profile, it will be the Serbian Account broker.

Hi Su,

Please be aware that including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing is prohibited in the Community. As Pradeep mentioned, you can always report this information directly to Upwork if you suspect an issue, but posting it in the Community is inappropriate.

Rest assured that while the screenshots were removed, we did save them and include them in the report that's been submitted to the Trust & Safety team.

I also want to reiterate Maria's comment that since you're a freelancer, your profile picture has to accurately represent who you are; it obviously shouldn't be a photo of a place, a design, an object, or someone or something else (also, misrepresenting who you are, goes against our Terms of Service.)

~ Arjay
Upwork

I didn't say that someone flagged your profile. I say that, as it is created, anyone can mark it since it is a profile that should not even be approved.

If you can be here, it is because they now allow any profile without demanding anything.

When we flag an inappropriate client, will they receive notification of our action? Additionally, will you provide updates on the actions taken?

Hi Abhiram,

Please note that because of security and privacy concerns, we may also not be able to share the results or findings of our investigations with you. We take all reports seriously, and please be assured that we will take action as provided for in our Terms of Service. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths