🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please, Review My Profile
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400
bosesumon
Community Member

I have been a Graphic Designer for 5 and a half years now (working for various companies) but I never liked the corporate setup and recently decided to leave my job and start freelancing (3 weeks ago). I create a profile at Upwork, although the start was good but I would like to get opinions from others as how I can imporove my profile.

Would anyone be kind enopugh to give me some honest reviews?

http://www.upwork.com/fl/bose

Thanks in advance,

Sumon Bose

Well, you can't have a link to your personal website anywhere on your profile even in your portfolio. Also, I would suggest changing your profile pic. it might just be me, but it makes you look like a young teenager and not as a professional.

Hello Maria,

Thank you so much for taking the time and reviewing my profile. I am working on the profile pic issue, I will change it soon. I don't think I have a direct link on my profile do I ? Is there anyting else you think I should change ?

Thanks again,

Sumon Bose

Sumon, as an artist, the heart of your profile is your portfolio, and I think you have a great portfolio. It makes it clear to me what kind of artist you are. It demonstrates your skill and style. It is also distinctive and doesn't make me think you just downloaded stuff or stole stuff from other people.

I don't like your photo because I don't think it is cropped correctly. I would prefer to see your face more. I don't need to see all of your T-shirt.

You should NOT use your overview text to tell clients that there are "big problems" with you as an artist or contractor, especially when those problems may mean: "I may not deliver work on time, or at all, or I may charge a lot more than I originally estimated."

Did you ACTUALLY say these things in your profile text? I think you did. Maybe I am wrong. Do you want to risk this being what clients understand?

I don't like to see profiles wherein contractors talk about their wives or kids or parents or dogs or whatnot. Not that I object to people having such. I just don't think this is the place for it. Save it for Facebook.

I recommend removing all of this: "The biggest problem with me is I want everything to look perfect and I will keep on developing an artwork until I am satisfied that it looks right. I am also a traveler, I love seeing new places and meeting new people. Nothing is more spiritual to me and my wife than going to places we have never been before and spend time with nature."

Hello Preston,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review my profile, I have removed the texts from my overview already. Originally I also had doubt about it but I was just being honest. I will put up a better picture. 

Thanks again,

Sumon

The direct links are in some of your portoflio pieces.

Maria,

That is allowed by Upwork. There is a place while adding a portfolio to add link to your work.

Hi Sumon,

Freelancers are not allowed to use in their profile any links which contain their direct contact information, so please remove those links in order to avoid unnecessary account restrictions.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hello Vladimir,

I have not put up any link which contains any direct contact information. I came to this community to seek help not to be lashed at. Can you provide screen shots where I have used links to provide links to direct contact. I am waiting.

Sumon

Hi Sumon,

I can assure you nobody is lashing out at you, but only sharing advice based on our ToS. Maria, Preston and other users offer vital advice to users like yourself, some of which have to do with keeping your profile in line with our ToS. Please make sure you don't share your contact information and keep the communication going, so you can receive other useful advice.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hello Vladimir,

I greatly admire the suggestions and feedback given by Preston and Maria and I have replied to them personally thanking them. You can check my profile and see my profile doesn't violate any ToS of Upwork. Let me know if it does and I will make the changes,

Thanks for your time,

Sumon

syedharrisazeem
Community Member

Hello there, Good morning I am new here since previous 6 months having only one job in the field of Financial Accounting,

I am rich in Accounitng and Finance and have 2 years experience as an Accountant of a Real Estate business here in my homeland.

I am also a quickbooks expert and all that, obviously not writing a job cover letter but needed an expert advice that how can I manupulate my profile to get more jobs,

does Upwork test will help me to get more jobs becuase I am raw in freelancing so donot have much things in my portfolio.

Please give me some suggestions so I can get more jobs,

Waiting for your replies guyz.

Thanks,

Syed Harris Azeem,

bosesumon
Community Member

Hello,

My name is Sumon Bose,

After working several years as a in-house designer in various companies, I decided recently to leave my job and start freelancing. I have got a good start but I was worried about some aspects of my profile and how others will perceive it, so yesterday I asked the members of the community to review my profile. Many took the time and gave me good reveiws, amongst other things the most common thing was to change my profile picture. I took the advice and changed the profile picture today.

So here I am again asking for your help. Could you be kind enough to let me know if my new profile picture is good enough ?

Thanks in advance,

Sumon Bose

Truly beautiful. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

I think you already know that you have a good picture....

Hello Giorgi,

Thank you for taking the time and replying. I am not sure because till yesterday I thought my profile and overview were good until I asked for opinions and some major flaws were pointed out. I honestly wanted opinions from fellow community members as I am new to this.

Thanks a lot again,

Sumon

Hi, Sumon.

Your photo looks great.

But if you want to test any photo, you may use internet photo tests services. Their users will rate your photo, but you must do the same.   

Hello,

Ievgen,

Do you know any website that I can go and test ?

Thanks,

Sumon

I know about PhotoFeeler (unfortunately links are unacceptable here. You can find this service via Google search). 

Hey Ievgen,

Thanks for your help man, I will try it out 🙂

Sumon

You're welcome, Sumon.

Tinder. 

@Scott E wrote:

Tinder. 

If you get swiped left, you get ejected from Upwork. Or is it right. I don't have Tinder.

Left is likey, right is no-likey. Although I use the buttons at the bottom instead... if you're swiping left all the time, and then you meant to swipe right on the last one, it's instinctive to swipe right to go back. But then you've liked the next person, and if you don't have the super mega subscription, then there's no way to undo it if they're 'unsuitable'.

There was a lovely lady I swiped right on last night. Freya, 33 of your Earth years, from Dundee in Scotland where most of my family are from, she was within 2 miles, is learning Spanish (which I'm half decent at), and she's an animator. And she was very beautiful, which is a bonus! No match yet unfortunately.

That's the thing... although I'm reasonably handsome, I'm not going to win any awards. So when taken purely on my profile picture, I may not be top of many people's lists. But when combined with my arousing personality, quirky insane sense of humour, awe-inspiring intellect, impressive modesty, smooth metrosexuality with a rough coating of masculinity, self-deprecating nature, a potent dose of pheromones permeating the air with an intoxicating subliminal scent that is hard to resist, and an impressive ability to consume alcohol... well, then that's different situation entirely!

Those things are hard to get across on a mobile app though.   

Well Scott E, I do hope lovely Scottish lady swipes left for you. I hope you have "arousing personality" in your profile. I think it will raise eyebrows and give you a better shot.

postell95
Community Member

I have done this once before. However, I have gone back to my profile and basically revamped the whole thing. If a few of you please look my profile over and give feedback. Thank you so much for yall's help.

I'd get rid of the below average score on your English test. There's tens of thousands of people with above average scores, or higher, so unless you're the cheapest, or have some ultra-amazing abilities... clients can afford to be picky with so much choice. 

I'd also ditch the 'new freelancer' bit, as it might put people off. If you're good enough to do the job, then you're good enough to do the job... it shouldn't matter if you're new or not. 

bilal-adlial
Community Member

For last three months i am bidding but not able to get work. So help me that what is wrong with my profile and please suggest me about the cover letter.

I have also observed that there are many other people who are bidding on same project with better work history so client even do not see my cover letter and declined. Any suggestion about it???

I will be thankful to you for your kind help.

With 50 proposals, there are maybe 2 good ones. If your proposals are good and the client doesn't smell a faked profile, then you'll do fine.

Thanks Jennifer for your answer. Can you suggest me about cover letter??

No I can't because I'd say that you are a junior level dev who needs to work with a senior dev to get some experience. Your cover letter is part of the problem. The fact that you don't have any experience is what is holding you back.

To show experience and skills on upwork it is essential to get first few job and this is difficult for me and may be for others.

You have seen my profile, is it ok??

Yep, you need experience. How you go about showing it is through your own creativity. If you really can code apps, you'll figure it out. 

You need to go out and get some experience. Smart buyers can sense a quality provider. You need to show this through your proposal and profile but you can't so it yet because you have 0 experience.

Jennifer you are always mentioning that you have O experience. It discourage me even more that what is wrong with my profile or with my communication that Jennifer is mentioning it again and again.

If i can develop websites which cost more then 5000 dollar for other freelancer who have good work history then i can do this for my own client as well.

Thanks for your suggestion but i think i have to show my experience on upwork which will help me to get more jobs in future.

@Muhammad B wrote:

Jennifer you are always mentioning that you have O experience. It discourage me even more that what is wrong with my profile or with my communication that Jennifer is mentioning it again and again.

If i can develop websites which cost more then 5000 dollar for other freelancer who have good work history then i can do this for my own client as well.

Thanks for your suggestion but i think i have to show my experience on upwork which will help me to get more jobs in future.

Yes, the truth is hard sometimes. No one is giving you any gigs because no one wants to hand over an app gig to someone with 0 experience. As soon as you figure this out and accept it, you'll grow. If you keep trying to get jobs without making an effort to fix the problem, then enjoy the proposal process with 0 success. Nobody is giving you a gig so that you can learn app development. This happens in the real world when the company has you working under a senior dev. So like I said, go get some experience and come back when you bring somethign to the table. 

c_pascoy
Community Member

Hi,

I already tried to edit my overview, took the test, edit my profile and all but why is it that no one is accepting my proposal?

Please help..

Thank you.

msharmelle
Community Member

Sometimes it really depends on the client. If our profile is already polished and everything, it will not a guarantee that we will start getting a job. Most clients prefer a freelancer who has job history and feedbacks. If you're applying for a job and half of your competitors are experienced upwork freelancer, why would a client choose you over them?That's the sad truth if we're a newbie.
iqbal-suleman
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Recently I've done some changes to my profile so anyone can check & see if there is any issue? How clients will look in my profile? As a client perspective which are good points & bad points in my profille specially "overview" section?

Please let me know your thoughts! 🙂

Thanks,

Sueman

wahungu1
Community Member

i registered on upwork and completed the profile but  i have never had an opportunity to get even a single job, how can you help or what is required of me

wahungu1
Community Member

i have 2monty since i registered with uipworkbut i have never had an oppotunity to get even a single job. what i requested of me please

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths