🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scammers
Page options
5997fdc4
Community Member

Scammers

I am new to Upwork and have been scammed once and I believe another attempt just occurred today.  I did not fully understand how it works on this site and admittedly am somewhat "desperate" for work as I have been out of a job since January 2023.  I am submitting this as a cautionary tale and have since read that job scams are on the rise!  

I am used to the private sector in which if someone provides contact information that you reach out to that person directly, and that is what I did.  As it turns out, the company (contract roofing solutions) and the people (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) I spoke with and email/texted with were scammers and I DID NOT listen to my inner voice telling me to run, so when offered employment, I provided all the info needed for direct deposit and tax info.  Yes I know...DUH!  As a result, I filed a police report (the guy threatened me when I told him I would not comply with his wishes), put a fraud alert on my credit report, had to change bank accounts, and all the other stuff that goes along with identity theft.  

So this morning, I submitted a proposal, and another person named **Edited for Community Guidelines**reached out to me via text.  I provided my updated resume and left my cell number on it.  I have learned to delete that and my email from my resume if someone asks for a current copy.

I feel like a target now.  I have learned a critical rule of Upwork and I will never respond to anyone outside this platform again!  As a newbie here, I feel like there is so much I don't know and am going to make sure I read/watch everything that Upwork has to offer from here on out!  If it looks too good to be true or you get an inner voice saying run, then listen to it as it probably is and RUN!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
luqman_mak
Community Member

If you havent already, read this:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

As for contact details, its always best to retract personal details. Payments should all go through Upwork as per ToS so you never have to share any of that information (tax, account number) with your clients.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
vickydf98
Community Member

The same exact thing just happened to me! Today, I had to change my bank account, put a freeze on my credit report, and contact social security! The weird thing is that they had a verified business registration and reviews. To be honest their scam is very elaborate! Upwork should have policies in place to stop people like this from posting. I'm so disappointed 😞

luqman_mak
Community Member

If you havent already, read this:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

As for contact details, its always best to retract personal details. Payments should all go through Upwork as per ToS so you never have to share any of that information (tax, account number) with your clients.

Thank you. I am now fully aware of how it works. It’s just a bummer that it happened at all!
luce-neidert
Community Member

Paige, I'm sorry to tell you that as a beginner, you are a target for scammers. In order to find out more about Upwork and how to spot scammers, you'll find plenty of information on the forum. Sunday is the worst day to look for a job here, so take the time to read more about how this platform works.

You said you were contacted by someone outside the platform. I advise you not to make your profile available to people outside of Upwork.

Thank you Luce.  I am grateful for your input and  have begun to engage in the forum.  

I will remove my info and change settings if needed.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths