🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tax information
Page options
manalqureshiii
Community Member

Tax information

Hi. I am new to upwork. I was extremely confused regarding the Form W-8BEN that is to be filled by Non-US citizens so I went through some replies. Is it true that Upwork fills the form W-8BEN for freelancers once the legal name has been provided? Can anyone please confirm.

3 REPLIES 3
NikolaS

Hi Manal,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.

If you complete the W-8BEN certification, Upwork does not:

• Withhold any taxes from your earnings
  • Use the Form W-8BEN to report your income to anyone
  • Ask for any taxpayer identification numbers on Form W-8BEN
  • Require you to fill out a paper form
  • Determine, or in any way affect, whether you owe taxes in your own country

You can find more information about the W-8BEN form here. Let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you for your reply. Can you guide me as to how i can fill the form?
Thank you!

Hi Manal,

I would like to clarify that you do not need to upload or submit any form for your W-8BEN tax information. You can complete the W-8BEN form under Settings> Tax Info, which purpose is to

confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Additionally, I see that you already created a support ticket regarding your concern with the W-8BEN form. If you have any further questions feel free to follow up on your ticket and our team will be happy to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths