🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

740 REPLIES 740
e2a7df06
Community Member

Im reply have guys

Good

Hi

Hellow

Hii

Can  I use ai chatbot to write a proposal for the job?

0132a227
Community Member

I am a new seller. I have opened an Upwork account about a month ago, so far I have not received any work. Tell me how can I get Upwork a job.

Shumon

As a new Upwork user, there are several fundamental steps you must take to begin securing job opportunities on the platform. These include composing job proposals to bid on projects, uploading your portfolio and past work, and ensuring your account is fully completed.

Hello Israel , this is mahlet, a newly joyed freelancer. I could not get any jobs yet and I think you’re more experienced than I so can you please help.

Hello,Mahlet Gebreyohann S how are you? I hope you are well and happy. Apply for a job on Upwork and fulfill all the requirements of Upwork. God willing, success will be your destiny.

I love it

Hi Mahlet, Hope you're well. Upwork is a large community with many talents. You stand out in the midst of many by optimizing your profile so that clients can see you as special and confident in your handling their projects.

My dear brother, I have followed all this but no one puts grass, what should I do?

Hey Suliman,

I'm relevantly new here. I just recovered my old Upwork profile and planning to use it in daily freelance activity. I can't give any pro advice, so, just adding my two cents. Initially, we should focus on the cover letters and suitable jobs we are bidding on. That'll help in getting the response from your client. I'm doing the same thing - hoping to get an answer soon. 

I wish you all the best!
Christian

Hi Christian,

How do you go about finding and focusing on cover letters? Are you referring to prospective clients or your own? Also, do you have any advice on how I can begin to build a portfolio? 

I could not get any jobs yet and I think you’re more experienced than I am so can you please help.

Hello Suliman j my dear brother no one but you have to apply the job then it will appear to you write the cover letter according to the requirement of the client I hope you will be successful

How do i compose a strong and quality proposal

gabgema
Community Member

Strong? I don't know. But I think its easy to google proposal template on the internet. The main thing is that you should re-edit it and customize it to your present proposal and job you want to apply for. Interesting enough, you can find almost a lot of proposal for almost any topic on upwork. 

Kindly help me I am new as well.

• Apply to smaller jobs first. 
  • Give more time to upwork and get blue tech first.

I am also from Islamabad. 

Hello Noor UI Ain E mashallah your profile is excellent and you have chosen the field very well only one thing you have to do is to apply for the job and get paid inshallah one day you will definitely succeed.

I'm very happy

god bless you

Good

Yes available jobs 

Hello.

I am new to Upwork and am following all instructions to land a job. But I'm having trouble finding my first job because it's become so difficult! Upwork should equally oblige all freelancers. But if they prefer top freelancers, what should new freelancers on Upwork do?

Same to me.

Riaz, for how many months are you searching for the job on Upwork?

Dear Mirchu

This is what is happenning in upwork. We waste time & money buying Connects from upwork & land in foolishness.

No fellow will talk to you in phone or help you regarding problems in upworl. Rather they will sell their un-necessary materials & become richer. There are something tricky regarding all these. Find out & let me know too.

Revert back.

Thanks

Thanks

Dear Mirchu

There are many Freelancing platforms. But, donot select randomly. Just select it accordingly with your's Job profile after doing some R & Ds.

Hope our's discussions reach to the higher authorities & everybody at upwork.

Interestingly, even if upwork Team & Administrations read their Flaws & discussed everywhere, they will Remain Silent.

Let them know the drawbacks in upwork & its advertisements.

Thanks

Yes, of course, everybody there just gives suggestions about landing a job, but seriously, there is too much competition, so no one is there to help new freelancers beyond giving the bulk of advice and instructions.

I totally agree  with you Mirchu! There is no one, who will help the new freelancers to grow their careers.

Be patient bro Upwork is best platform.

gabgema
Community Member

An upwork user, once suggested to some of us that, we should create client profiles, sell out a job and read the proposals that people send to us. That way, you get free proposals or ways of learning. But he put a note, that by the time, you read some proposals, you would wonder how some people expect to get a job with what they write. He said, in you are in a clients shoe, would you pick a well written and interesting proposal with signs that this person can do the job or you would pick any random one that comes to your front? 

So he says, proposal writing is serious business, and we should take our time to learn to write it, even if it is to copy from the internet (you just have to start somewhere).

Yes I also wanna know about it if you find any way then post it also I will be very thankful to you!

Hi guys for this first you should have a good type of profile and create a
good catalog related to the field you have expertise in and your profile
should be at least 80% and when you see this job my If it is relevant,
apply for the job, write the best cover letter and write the client's
requirement in the cover letter, then success will surely kiss your feet.
Take care of yourself. Peace be upon you.

Please can you teach me how to write a good cover letter 

There are some examples on Upwork that might help you tailor a cover letter to your offering. See here: https://www.upwork.com/resources/how-to-create-a-proposal-that-wins-jobs 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths