🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
378 REPLIES 378
d2cf6980
Community Member

Am new here how can I get a client? 

bc7757e4
Community Member

433966103_122095156100258699_99956178091095468_n.jpg

Hi Tarik,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! This is where you can ask and answer questions, browse topics, socialize, learn, network with other members, and stay updated about Upwork's latest news.
As a community member, you can also share your feedback on existing features and suggest new ones. If you have any ideas to improve your experience on Upwork, don't hesitate to share them here!

To help you get started on Upwork, we recommend checking out the following Upwork Academy courses:

Additionally, we encourage you to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to enhance your success on Upwork.
We hope these resources will be valuable to you as you embark on your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
9072d126
Community Member

Hey Upwork fam! 

Just landed on this cool platform and I'm looking for some wisdom from the pros. I mean, who wouldn't want to learn from the best, right? So, hit me with your best tips, tricks, and hilarious work mishaps that turned into valuable lessons. Let's turn those "oops" moments into "aha!" ones together!

Keep it quirky,

08b534a6
Community Member

Hi I am a newly here and my name is Johnson mimigari, and am from Papua New Guinea. I want to find a job online freelance where I can use my knowledge and also earn some extra income . I joint the link but was not getting much. Am very much interested in retyping data entry and converting PDF.Thank you and hoping for any opportunity here.

JM

e95ea6fe
Community Member

yes im new to this but im a fast learner and willing to try new risks. bilingual english and spanish.

available anytime. i just dont know how to get started and what to get started on

49b430fa
Community Member

How to get first job with zero skill but just little knowledge? What we do?

2c1ff44e
Community Member

My name is Ali, 

New to upwork.. My experience in Automotive industry and handled multiple managerial roles in different capacities exclusivley in the new cars dealerships : 

Sales Manager - Product knowledge and soft skills training manager - CRM and customer service manager 

I look for new proposals of employees skills developments - Training consultant - 

Any Advice please ... 

Thanks 

Hi Ali,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! This is where you can ask and answer questions, browse topics, socialize, learn, network with other members, and stay updated about Upwork's latest news.

As a community member, you can also share your feedback on existing features and suggest new ones. If you have any ideas to improve your experience on Upwork, don't hesitate to share them here!

To help you get started on Upwork, we recommend checking out the following Upwork Academy courses:

Additionally, we encourage you to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to enhance your success on Upwork.
We hope these resources will be valuable to you as you embark on your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
2b0d6d2a
Community Member

Hi, 

I Sent a message to help me know about how to get my first job with upwork. 

I submit my oroposal, and the I received a message telling me the Job is removed?? 

Waiting to hear from you soon. 

Thank you. 

cb66ea92
Community Member

How to earn money from this 

Hi May,

On Upwork, your profile is a critical tool to your success. It is a great way to demonstrate your skills and experience. Leveraging it to its full potential may help you differentiate yourself from other freelancers and improve the likelihood of getting hired. Here are some of the items successful freelancers incorporate into their profiles below:
  • Build your profile: This is your chance to showcase your skills and experience to potential clients. Complete your profile, including your work history, education, and a description of your services.
  • Build a strong portfolio: Your portfolio may help impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Add any projects you’ve completed in the past to help you showcase your skills.
  • Network with clients: Establish good relationships by delivering quality work on time and communicating effectively. This can help you secure repeat business and new opportunities in the future.
  • Bid on projects: When you find a project you're interested in, submit a proposal outlining why you're the best candidate for the job. Make sure to tailor your proposal to the specific project and client.
Still need to figure out where to begin on Upwork? These resources can point you in the right direction:

With these steps, you'll be on your way to success.
Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork
af2074c2
Community Member

finding work

😉

a1af0181
Community Member

Good day

I bring resourceful, self- directed and energetic attitude to this role.  My experience is vast, including several years of being a personal assistant to Executive Management.

In my current position, I maintain an exceptionally efficient and professional environment.   I work well independently and with little oversight.  I work in a timely manner and adapt to prioritizing multiple ongoing projects.

Additionally, I am adept at:

•          Strong communication, administration and customer service skills. 
  •          There is a variety of software that I am quite proficient in using, including    Microsoft word, excel, publisher and PowerPoint presentations.
  •          Assisting with functions (event co-coordinating)

I am a self-starter and excel at verifying information and managing confidential information. I feel that my skills and work experience make me an excellent candidate for this position

Community Member

I recently applied for a job here at upwork. The employer insisted we talk through another platform and gave me the job which was different fro the one posted. Cuold it be a scam.

a74ff38c
Community Member

hi

mahadir46
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I hope all are doing well. I have 100% JCC one year Bofore. Event that time also I'm not get any job. I have now 74% JSS. But I don't have no new job last 6 month.  I'm attaching last 90 day screenshot for my status. Kindly check and help me.

Thank you.

fc05f6f0
Community Member

Hi

is it necessary to go premium inorder to get the job? or even the basic members get it ? 

New member trying to learn how to get the first job.

e61bde46
Community Member

How to get started in upwork

Verify your email.
Identification verification.
62964bdd
Community Member

Hello! I'm looking for feedback on my account as well. My goal is to do this part time to meet some entrepreneurs as i worked over 14 years with big industry marks like Louis Vuitton, Bottega veneta, ysl , Alexandre McQueen with severals work shown in my portofolio and get the opportunity to help build and improve many different businesses through my experience with startups and in the finance industry.
https://www.upwork.com/fl/~01f3c2519de21d926d
Thanks,
Slimani rajeh

f58a7ae0
Community Member

It is not about making quick money, but understanding the Upwork platform. I struggle in the beginning then by trial and error I found my way by:

1. Create a Polished Profile:

• Your first impression on Upwork should be professional and polished. This includes having a high-quality profile picture, a well-crafted title, and a brief overview that showcases your skills and expertise 1.

2. Build a Strong Portfolio:

• Uploading work samples and filling out your work history can instill confidence in potential clients that you are a professional who can deliver quality work.

3. Utilize Talent Scout Program:

• Enrolling in the Talent Scout program can grant you access to top-tier opportunities and help you spend less time looking for jobs, allowing you to focus on earning money through the work you love 1.

4. Understand Upwork's Commission Fees:

• It's important to understand the commission fees on Upwork and how they may impact your earnings 2.

5. Establish a Track Record of Success:

• Potential clients want to see a track record of success on similar projects, which can help you stand out and minimize the perceived risk for clients 3.

6. Consistency and Routine:

• Bringing routine and consistency to your approach on Upwork, such as setting a daily target for applying to jobs, can help you make good money on the platform 4.

7. Consider Client Relationships:

• Building good working relationships with clients can be crucial for consistent freelance income on Upwork.

8. Understand Upwork's Platform:

• It's essential to understand what Upwork is and how it functions as a job board for freelancers to connect with potential clients from around the world 5.

By following these strategies and tips, you can increase your chances of making money on Upwork and building a successful freelance career.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me.

Dear Antonio, 

As a fresh beginner in Upwork platform I would sincerely thank you for the genuine contribution about overall perception of the upwork business and how to diligently we should showcase our skills and potential success. 

4930c909
Community Member

Question:

Hi, I provide SEO service on my profile

I am spending a lot of connects on Upwork however I am getting zero responses from bids, however, when I recieve a invite I am able to close the deal mostly, so can anyone please suggest me what should I do to get responses on my submitting proposals too

Example of my Proposal:

As per the guidelines I craft my proposal, like in the first paragraph I show my portfolio, then in the second paragraph I match the clients requirements, by telling him that I can do what he requires, then in third paragraph I ask 2-3 questions and then in the last paragraph, I ask client to answer the asked questions so that I can understand his project in more details, then I invite the client for a zoom meeting

How my proposal Looks:

Hi, Please have a look at my previous work; flashflowmarketing.com/portfolio

I can help you do SEO optimization of your website, including; on page, off page and technical SEO as per your requirements

Please let me know:

1. What is the niche of your website?

2. What is the age of your website?

3. What is the URL of your website?

Please let me know about the following things so that I can get a better idea of this project and can come up with a custom stretegy, I would love to get on a zoom meeting with you to discuss this project in more details, Looking forward for your response

Best Regards,

Shayan Shehzad 

1ea36a0d
Community Member

I AM AMAZON VIRTUAL ASSISTANT I AM LOOKING FOR A JOB

Hi Safeer,

Welcome to the exciting world of the Upwork Community! This is where you can hang out with like-minded folks, ask and answer questions, explore hot topics, and keep up with the latest buzz on Upwork.
And that's not all! The Community is also your chance to give us feedback on what you love and want to see more of. We're all ears, so don't be shy!
But before we get carried away, let's start with the basics. Check out these excellent Upwork Academy courses to help kickstart your Upwork journey:
And if that's not enough, you can also sign up for upcoming events and webinars that are sure to boost your success on Upwork.
So get ready to have some fun and learn a lot. We hope you find these online resources super helpful. Let's rock this Upwork journey together!
~ Joanne
Upwork
878be158
Community Member

I recently graduated with a degree in Computer Engineering, where I honed my skills not only in technical aspects but also in content writing and website design. Despite my proficiency in these areas, I am new to freelancing platforms like Upwork and am seeking guidance on how to navigate and secure work opportunities within this competitive marketplace.

Specifically, I excel in crafting compelling content that engages audiences and drives action, as well as designing visually appealing and user-friendly websites. I am eager to leverage these skills to embark on a freelance career and establish a successful presence on Upwork.

Given my background and skill set, what steps can I take to effectively showcase my capabilities and attract potential clients on Upwork? Additionally, what strategies or tips would you recommend for someone like me who is new to freelancing platforms, in terms of building a strong profile, crafting winning proposals, and ultimately securing meaningful projects?

I appreciate any insights or advice you can provide to help me kickstart my freelancing journey on Upwork and establish myself as a reputable and sought-after professional in the field of content writing and website design. Thank you.

If you truly "excel in crafting compelling content" then you should be able to write without using Chat GPT; you're not going to fool any clients into paying you for content that they could easily generate themselves. And if you're going to apply for design projects, then you'll need an excellent portfolio; you currently have nothing to show potential clients. What are you actually good at? You seem to have just thrown a bunch of random stuff into your profile without having any real expertise, so you're going to struggle here and waste a lot of time and money. As a recent graduate, it would be a better idea to get a job in the real world, gain some experience, and then start freelancing. In addition to needing good skills, you need to learn how to run a business and how to market yourself; that's a process that takes time.

If you're determined to try anyway, start by clicking on the "Upwork Academy" link at the top of this page, and pay close attention to the terms of service so that you don't end up getting scammed.

6942fc22
Community Member

New to upwork: finding work

Community Member

Hello everyone! As an architect with a passion for innovative and functional design, I am pleased to share with you some key tips for achieving a successful architectural design. These principles are fundamental to creating spaces that are both aesthetically appealing and functional. Let's dive into them!

Know the client's needs: Before starting any design, it is essential to understand the client's needs and wants. Conduct in-depth interviews, perform requirements analysis, and establish clear communication to understand your goals, lifestyle, and budget. This will allow you to design a space that perfectly fits their needs.

Maximize functionality: Good architectural design should be functional and adapt to the way people interact with the space. Consider circulation, accessibility, natural lighting and efficient distribution of spaces. Architecture must facilitate the daily lives of the people who occupy it and optimize their experience.

Play with light and views: Natural light and views can completely transform a space. Make the most of natural light sources and carefully orient openings to create bright and welcoming environments. Additionally, consider exterior views and carefully frame landscapes to integrate nature into the design.

Balance aesthetics and sustainability: Sustainable architecture is increasingly important in our society. Look for solutions that are aesthetically pleasing while also respecting the environment. It incorporates energy efficiency strategies, sustainable materials and rainwater harvesting systems, among others. Environmentally conscious architectural design is a winning long-term approach.

Be innovative and creative: Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Innovation and creativity can result in unique and surprising designs. Research new technologies, materials and construction techniques that can enrich your projects. Look for inspiration in other disciplines and challenge the limits of architectural design.

I hope these tips inspire you to take your architectural designs to the next level. If you have more tips or ideas to share, feel free to comment! Together we can create an exceptional built environment!

8be54afa
Community Member

I want a job for a writing essays 

Noshad ali
4068320c
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

I have 6 years of experience and expertise with ASP.Net. I have hands-on experience with MVC architecture. Experience and expertise with OOP language. I have gained great knowledge and experience with .Net Core. I am adept with Azure, Cosmos DB. Proficient with C#. C# build tools TFS, Teamcity, Jenkins, Cruise Control .NET. Expertise with HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, Jquery, Bootstrap, and Ajax. Experience with Agile methodologies. Efficient in client-side technologies. I have also worked with version control tools like Git and SVN.

I am proficient with databases like SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Linq, Entity Framework. I am familiar with cloud services like AWS. I have experience with REST and JSON API. I am familiar with Bitbucket, JIRA, Trello, Gulp, and npm.

Strong with code reusability concept.

Throughout my career, I have worked on several projects, honing my skills and becoming an expert in my field. However, I believe there is always more to learn, and I am hoping to hear about best practices, tips, and advice from the experts here on Upwork. I am eager to grow and develop my skills further and would appreciate any support that can be offered.

I am excited to be a part of this community.

Thank you!

426ba430
Community Member

Hello, Upwork Community!

As a certified Sustainability Reports Data Analyst and Corporate Finance expert, I offer specialized insights tailored to your needs. With data from 55 top companies in hospitality, real estate, biopharma, and Banks, I can help drive your sustainability initiatives forward.

Let's collaborate to elevate your business practices and financial transparency. Reach out today to discuss how we can work together!

Best regards,

Armghan A.

Did you really imagine that this was an appropriate and resourceful way to promote your freelance business?

I strive to promote my freelance business in a manner that is both professional and respectful. My intention with the post was to offer my expertise in sustainability reporting to potential clients who may benefit from my services.

That being said, I value constructive criticism and am always open to refining my approach. If you have any suggestions on how I can better communicate the value I bring to the table, I would welcome the opportunity to hear them.

Clients aren't looking for freelancers in the forum and you're breaking the rules by advertising your services here; if you want work, you need to send proposals. And it would be better if you could communicate without using ChatGPT - it's obvious from a mile away. Also, why do you devote several paragraphs of your profile overview to talking about how good you are at data entry, Excel, etc.? Professionals don't moonlight as data entry freelancers, and it's a given that most people know how to use MS Office. I would take out those paragraphs and focus on the higher value services that you can provide.

0495267e
Community Member

You want people to connect with the new user. I am also a new user and I have a 0 connection. Do you think it can be long on the website?

ca883c38
Community Member

Hi everyone!

My name's Jesús...

I've a lot of questions:
How, where can I check that my profile is 100% complete; Is there a problem??

How, where can I check that my proposals are REALLY received and reviewed by interested potential clients? There is NO indicator that the proposal was reviewed!

More than two months trying to get my first contract and I don't have any type of message, observation, comment; what's the problem?

I leave my email as a means to receive notifications, suggestions, guidance, etc.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you!
Greetings...

28353a0b
Community Member

Hi ,  

How can I get my first job on upwork ?

31ad4dc8
Community Member

I desperately need money as I have to submit my university I need a job I have go through lot of spam please help 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths