🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
377 REPLIES 377
939d6ed0
Community Member

Hello

9a54557b
Community Member

I want to know how to get connections for free

Hi Mounika,

You receive ten free Connects every month at the beginning of your billing cycle. There are also some other ways you can earn more Connects; for more information on how this works, check out our guide here.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
a156c2e5
Community Member

I am new on Upwork, Please guide me on how to get jobs or projects, I am an Excel and Google sheet skilled and experienced person.

1ed453ae
Community Member

Great ideas. I hope i will get my first project ASAP.

757b7d96
Community Member

Hi! I'm Tanya. I'm new to Upwork. I'm a retired school teacher. I love to write and create ideas via slogans, songs, and books. I'm so excited I found Upwork because I have determined this year use my gifts and talents to be a blessing to others. Praying all goes well and that I will get strategically connected to those who need support/help. 

Welcome to upwork Tanya and congratulation on taking the first step after retirement. I am a certified small business mentor with Service Corp of Retired Execs (SCORE). Please feel free to reach out if there is anything you need help with for your small business venture. 

935d9f19
Community Member

I'm thrilled to join this vibrant community of freelancers and clients! As a new member, I'm eager to dive into exciting projects and connect with fellow professionals. With a passion for Writing and Translation, I'm ready to bring my skills and creativity to the table.

I'm particularly interested in Technical writinf, AI Content wiriting, product description Document translation,Social media copy and Academic Translation and I'm always up for a challenge. Whether it's writing compelling content, providing top-notch translation services, or tackling innovative projects, I'm committed to delivering excellence and exceeding expectations.

I look forward to collaborating with you all and building meaningful relationships along the way. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or if you'd like to discuss potential opportunities. Let's make great things happen together!

Best regards, 

Mr.Abesekara

e06c0035
Community Member

My name is i

c26d33bc
Community Member

I always check for these three parameters:

1. The client has previously hired someone after placing a job ad (0% hire rate is a big red flag).
  2. The client has payment verified (unverified, even in US clients, is a big no-no).
  3. The client's job ad doesn't have like 15 to 20 proposals already (and if the client is already interviewing someone for the job then I assume that I've missed my chance).

It helps me choose a verified client.

3ab128c4
Community Member

Hi,

Hope you all well.

I am new here and tried to get my first job but not yet succeeded can anyone to help me or guide me for getting my job.

Thanks.

Hey This is Krish Chaudhary.

First let me welcome you, you are new here and you tried to get your first project but not succeeded. 

First you have to make your profile and set you skills and after that find work according to you set your skills. You have to write some message or your work experience related message like how much you are skilled and experienced on that field and also rate of your work at what price you will work. Try to give low price first and after working some how your profile will update and then you will rate according to your wish. 

Important notice:- Send proposal only on verify payment.

ba9cebc7
Community Member

Hi I'm new joined in upwork

2e743045
Community Member

I'm very new to this so I most definitely need help getting started that way I can start making money. My email is **Edited for Community Guidelines** or contact me on here either way. Whatever is easiest for you thank you for your time. Talk to you soon.

Taylor Coleman
70b8b908
Community Member

As someone who has successfully landed contracts on Upwork, I'd like to offer a tip that has helped me immensely: personalizing your proposals.

When crafting a proposal, always:

1. Research the client: Understand their needs and tailor your proposal to show how you can specifically solve their problem.
  2. Highlight relevant experience: Mention similar projects you've completed and the positive outcomes.
  3. Showcase your expertise: Clearly state your unique skills and how they align with the job requirements.
  4. Include a compelling question: Engage the client by asking a thoughtful question about their project, demonstrating your genuine interest and understanding.

Persistence and continuous improvement are key. Best of luck to everyone starting out!

Hi Farhan,

It has been quite frastrating for the last 2 years in NOT finding any sort of job on UPWORK inspite of me having an experience in customer service for over 29 years. Considering my strengths and skills to handle any customer situation and resolve with ease.Please help and advise how do i go about to WIN a job on upwork and be viewed.

I have followed the below details while sending proposals to Clients, but still I have not been successful.

1. Research the client: Understand their needs and tailor your proposal to show how you can specifically solve their problem.
  2. Highlight relevant experience: Mention similar projects you've completed and the positive outcomes.
  3. Showcase your expertise: Clearly state your unique skills and how they align with the job requirements.
  4. Include a compelling question: Engage the client by asking a thoughtful question about their project, demonstrating your genuine interest and understanding.

regards

Trevor Lazarus

a6a23973
Community Member

Hello,

435052eb
Community Member

May we all land our first online opportunity here. Still seeking a legitimate offer 🙏

6915620c
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community!

I'm new to freelance work and eager to dive into tasks related to copywriting, Amharic to English (or vice versa) translation, as well as proofreading and editing. I have a strong background in these areas and am excited to offer my skills to clients looking for quality work.

However, as I'm just starting out, I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice on how to secure my first job on Upwork. I've set up my profile and portfolio, but I'm not sure how to stand out to potential clients.

If you have any insights or experiences to share, I would be incredibly grateful. Thank you for welcoming me into this community, and I look forward to contributing my best work!

Best regards,

Abdulhamid S.

basseyuwah
Community Member

I have been on upwork for some times now but I'm still finding it difficult to land my first job.

I feel that there's something I haven't done right.

Please I really need help on how to get a job here.

Thank you 

b96cc64e
Community Member

huhuhu I lost money beacuse of upwork.. Client didn't hired or reply me . Until now I want my refund of my connect. How should hired a job now. I keep on sending but nothing is real. Please help how can I find a good client and get a job.

c8e8ffb2
Community Member

It's been weeks since I submitted proposals. Yet, the clients are not yet viewing it. Does it really work that way here? Thank you!

Good job

cf143582
Community Member

how can i get jobs

60157f34
Community Member

Hi,

trevor_j_lazarus
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

It has been quite frastrating for the last 2 years in NOT finding any sort of job on UPWORK inspite of me having an experience in customer service for over 29 years. Considering my strengths and skills to handle any customer situation and resolve with ease.Please help and advise how do i go about to WIN a job on upwork and be viewed.

I have followed the below details while sending proposals to Clients, but still I have not been successful.

5. I have shared a complete profile of my years of experience.

regards

Trevor Lazarus

deebf8b2
Community Member

How can I get my first job on the platform?

Hi Fidelina, 

Getting jobs on Upwork takes dedication and commitment. Firstly, I will suggest you learn how the platform works. https://community.upwork.com/t5/Explore-learning-paths/ct-p/LearningPaths

Secondly, Create a good profile and project work that shows your capabilities. There are experts on Upwork that can help review your profile. https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/bd-p/New_to_Upwork

Lastly, bid on projects that you are confident you can do 100%. I will also suggest you learn how to write winning proposals and keep on bidding frequently.

Best wishes.

Thank you for the information. I would also like you to share my profile to have more access to the experts or people you recruit.

780339ed
Community Member

hola me gustaria conseguir un trabajo como escritor sobre cualquier tema.

03f3587f
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I am new here and I am trying to get started ,but there is alot of information here and there.

Any quick tips to secure my first gig?

bfdba3a1
Community Member

Hi,I am new here and I want to find my first job.Can you help me?

86dde82d
Community Member

Thanks AndreaG

74e76123
Community Member

Hello,

It's been a few weeks since I've been here and I haven't been able to land a job yet. How can you help me, please?

553a799b
Community Member

im so interested to this opportunity 

so please help me to do this

Hi McClinczel,

Your profile is not completed. Kindly complete it. Since you are new to Upwork, I will suggest you learn and master how the platform works. https://community.upwork.com/t5/Explore-learning-paths/ct-p/LearningPaths

You have to create a portfolio on your profile so that potential clients can see what you are capable of. To win jobs, you have to write compelling proposals to bid on jobs you are 100% sure you can do. Bidding on jobs requires connects. Connects serve as Upwork currency. Without connect you cannot apply for jobs.

Wishing you all the best.

beed767f
Community Member

good day to  all need work here

8831a734
Community Member

Yes

213267e7
Community Member

New Designer & Writer! | Book covers, novels, ghostwriting (Finance, Travel). Looking to collaborate! 

This highlights you're new, your skills (design & writing), and your desire to find work. You can also tailor it further:

Focus on Design: "New Book Cover & Novel Designer! Seeking projects." (88 characters)

Focus on Writing: "New Finance & Travel Ghostwriter! Open to opportunities."

17469fd0
Community Member

I am good at copywriting,copy-paste.I write articles and I am a tutor of english

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths