🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Unhappy client solution
Page options
f0ab03b8
Community Member

Unhappy client solution

Since I started working in upwork I had made a great profile , all my clients were happy and satisfied with my work, but now I have a problem with 2 clients and I really don't know what to do
The first one asked me to paint him a photo for a fixed price (the job post was a time rate job but when he message me he ask for a fixed price) I accepted and then he asked for many many modifications +7 times , every time I do exactely like he wants ,he ask me to try to do it again I tried hard to satisfy him but suddenly he stopped responding to me
The second client asked for a simple job adding decorations to a logo I did it 5 times every time he tell me this is not what he is looking for I asked him to clarify me what he wants exactely because I made every thing he told me. I don't know what to do again to satisfy him. what is the best thing to do?
I don't mind if I give them refund (the money is in escrow) I don't want to get bad rating this is unfair

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'd tell them that you're willing to do one more round of revisions, but you'd like to speak with them first to make sure that you're both on the same page. Ask very specific questions. OR give them a choice and say that you're willing to keep showing them further options IF they set up a new milestone for each new revision that they request. 

I think that most indecisive clients aren't bad people who are trying to take advantage of you, they just don't know how to explain what they want, and aren't aware of how much time and effort things actually take. Since it sounds like you haven't set any boundaries so far, they're assuming that you're happy to keep going until they're satisfied. So, it's time to set some boundaries.

But occasionally you'll run into someone who is just never going to be satisfied - it happens. In those cases, I apologise for not being "a good fit" (which is a great thing to say, since you're neither accepting nor assigning blame) and tell them that I'm happy to turn over whatever work has been done so far, in order to give them a smooth transition to working with somebody else. I mean, at the very least, the work you've provided has some value in that the next designer will know what the client doesn't want, so they won't be starting from scratch.

Keep in mind that if you give these clients a refund, no public feedback will appear in your profile, but the clients can still give you private feedback that will affect your JSS. So, it's best to try and come to some sort of an agreement, if possible. With careful management, you shouldn't run into this situation very often (I've only needed to "fire" a client maybe once every five years or so). Good luck.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

How many revisions did you say that you would do when you sent proposals to these projects?

I didn't say nothing about the revisions that's my fault I know 😔 what can I do now?

I'd tell them that you're willing to do one more round of revisions, but you'd like to speak with them first to make sure that you're both on the same page. Ask very specific questions. OR give them a choice and say that you're willing to keep showing them further options IF they set up a new milestone for each new revision that they request. 

I think that most indecisive clients aren't bad people who are trying to take advantage of you, they just don't know how to explain what they want, and aren't aware of how much time and effort things actually take. Since it sounds like you haven't set any boundaries so far, they're assuming that you're happy to keep going until they're satisfied. So, it's time to set some boundaries.

But occasionally you'll run into someone who is just never going to be satisfied - it happens. In those cases, I apologise for not being "a good fit" (which is a great thing to say, since you're neither accepting nor assigning blame) and tell them that I'm happy to turn over whatever work has been done so far, in order to give them a smooth transition to working with somebody else. I mean, at the very least, the work you've provided has some value in that the next designer will know what the client doesn't want, so they won't be starting from scratch.

Keep in mind that if you give these clients a refund, no public feedback will appear in your profile, but the clients can still give you private feedback that will affect your JSS. So, it's best to try and come to some sort of an agreement, if possible. With careful management, you shouldn't run into this situation very often (I've only needed to "fire" a client maybe once every five years or so). Good luck.

Thank you Christine , I tried to speak but both of them are ignoring my messages one of them I already sent him a 7th modification, made sure to make it like he wanted exactely but he ignored my messages and I am afraid to submit work depsite of I'm extremely sure that I made every single detail he asked about
The second client just told me (after iI did exactely what he asked for) "sorry this is not what I'm trying to get" and then he dissapear, he also deleted the job post
so what can I do ?(both contracts are opened money in escrew)

I tried to talk to agent to get help but I found automatic messages that did'nt actually help , that's why I came here

You never want to face this again in the future.

Resolve to state how many revisions AND the maximum amount of time you will spend doing revisions. And stick to it.

I offer zero revisions. When I say the task is done, then it is done. The client must release payment, or the client will lose access to my services.

Fixed-price contracts are a privilege. Upwork's "default" contract model is hourly.

If a client asks for anything out of scope, the answer should always be "Yes, I can do that for a new milestone of $XXX.00."

re: "I think that most indecisive clients aren't bad people"

I agree. But also: They aren't fixed-price clients.

Indecisive client = hourly contract 

Go ahead and submit the work for both projects again, then the payments will be released to you after 14 days if the clients don't respond. They can't get their money back by ignoring your messages, disappearing, nor deleting the job post. If they try to delay further by asking for revisions again, it sounds like you'll have to open a dispute. Do not do any more work.

I really wanted to do that ,Will this affect my JSS? or it's better for me to leave both contracts opened forever and forget about them ? 

From the moment that you accept a project, a client is able to leave feedback that will affect your JSS (I once got bad feedback from a client before I had even started doing any work on his project). But submitting work and/or going into a dispute doesn't affect your JSS unless the clients leave feedback. If they haven't actually asked for refunds, I wouldn't offer, but it's up to you.  

One of them responded to me he told me politely that he will close the contract and will ask for a refund and told me not to worry about the feedback, I accepted and it's done

the second client still didn't respond I saw him online two days ago so I sent him an 8th option since I did already 7 pictures to him before (the contract was for 1 but he asked for new modifications every time)

today I get notification that he ended the contract and made a refund request .

this client made me to waste a LOT of time and effort . I apperciate that he is not satisfied but I think that it is not fair to refund all the money (I already did a lot of job) so what to do now? I don't want to affect my JSS or my profile if the best solution is to acceft to give him all his money back i'll go for it I already learned the lesson.

I would either dispute or at least ask for a partial payment, but it's up to you. When closing a contract, clients are forced to answer "would you recommend this person" on a scale of one to ten, and that's what mainly affects your JSS. So if the only reason you're agreeing to a refund is to avoid bad feedback, it's already been given. If you haven't already left a review for the client, you should do so now, so you can see how damaging the public feedback is - then you can decide about a refund.

Try not to worry so much about your JSS - it doesn't need to be 100 percent in order to get work. Anything over 90 is fine (and many freelancers get work even below that). 

I would go for refunding part of the money maybe half , so how can I do that  ? I only find two options there

1-give full refund

2-dispute

how can I give partial refund?

I sent him a message telling him kindly about the partial refund , he went online read my message and go offline agian , it seems that he will never respond...

Thank you all for help😍 , Client didn't respont so I went to dispute, he accepted it in 2 minutes!  and he paid me all my money.

That's great! I'm glad that you got paid by at least one client.

Believe me, I totally understand that you want to provide great service and make sure that your clients are happy with your work, but at the same time, you can't let people take advantage of you by requesting endless amounts of free revisions. Now you'll know for next time.

There's nothing you can do about the client(s) leaving negative feedback if they want to.

knives13790
Community Member

Make a milestone on your project so that you can get a partial payment after you paint a picture. Even if he ask for multiple revision you are already paid safely.

Rammil M wrote:

Make a milestone on your project so that you can get a partial payment after you paint a picture. Even if he ask for multiple revision you are already paid safely.

Not how this works. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths