🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Unresponsive clients payments
Page options
tinydolphin
Community Member

Unresponsive clients payments

Should unresponsive clients be charged more once they respond if they delayed payment for more than a month? I feel like it should be the case since I'm currently going through this and I've felt the discomfort of uncertainty for more than a month with a client. 

7 REPLIES 7
robin_hyman
Community Member

If you use the system properly, you wouldn't wait a month to receive payment. Obviously this is a fixed-priced project. Why haven't you used the submission tool to request payment? You don't have to ask for the entire amount, but the amount you deem is correct for the amount of work you have put in already. If the client is unresponsive, you get the payment after 14 days. Voila!

*Sigh* 

I thought I posted this in "NEW TO UPWORK", where people don't respond in an authoritarian manner. If I didn't "use the system properly" it is precisely because I'm new to this platform. Voilà!

I asked the client to release payment for the second milestone, but they said they have an issue with their bank account and asked me to receive the payment through Paypal, but I've read that could get my account suspended and I refused. Now the client says they have to fix the issue with their bank account, but I've been waiting for more than a week and they became unresponsive. And I continued to work even tho they didn't release payment for the second milestone, because I should've design ebook covers and format the ebook for the first milestone, but they said they don't want the book formatted, and later they required another service and said that the price they paid for the ebook formatting, included in the first milestone, can be considered as part of the payment for the second service. I hope that makes sense. 

I thought I posted this in "NEW TO UPWORK", where people don't respond in an authoritarian manner. If I didn't "use the system properly" it is precisely because I'm new to this platform. Voilà!

This is the kind of attitude that will get you far in freelancing. Good luck to you.

Read the rest of my previous reply, please. Your answer didn't provide a solution to my problem. I asked if they should be charged more if they delayed payment. 

Alice F wrote:

Read the rest of my previous reply, please. Your answer didn't provide a solution to my problem. I asked if they should be charged more if they delayed payment. 

Never work on a milestone that is not funded. If the 2nd milestone is funded and you have done what was agreed to, you use the submission tool to request for payment. If the client doesn't do anything, the payment is released automatically in 14 days. 

If the milestone is not funded and you've done the work, I hope you didn't share the work. If you have, mention they can't use it until you are paid through Upwork. 

I would never charge more because of delayed payment. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths