🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upfront payment from client
Page options
27c48635
Community Member

Upfront payment from client

Hi,

I got a new project in upwork which needs a subscription to client website ($500) to be paid by me . I am little  concerned but the client is ready to do the payment upfront . What's the best and safe way to do this ? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
elisa_b
Community Member

Please follow the links provided above by Nikola - learning how to protect yourself from scammers and how to use the platform properly is extremely important. Maybe the client is a scammer, maybe not, but payments and time tracking are not supposed to work that way. Stay safe.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
elisa_b
Community Member

The best and safest way to do this is - not to do this. Never ever pay anything out of your pocket. Tell the client to pay directly the subscription and see what happens.

396489e3
Community Member
NikolaS

Hi Anju and Abhaya, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. I encourage you to Report suspicious behavior

Additionally, you may want to check this help article and this thread to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
27c48635
Community Member

Thanks Nikola,

They are not asking to give money, but inorder to test their website I need access which needs subscription. This is the message:

"The contract would cover any expense incurred while testing on the platform using upwork hourly time contract, that is where you log extra hours for compensation of any amount spent or you can receive the subscription expense amount via a paycheck from the company upfront." 

Please let me know if this workable as he said

elisa_b
Community Member

The client should arrange your subscription beforehand and pay for it out of their pocket. Period. You are not supposed to pay anything during your work and then ask the client a refund. Regarding the upfront payments, do you know that clients can file a chargeback and reverse them? Are you willing to risk that?

How much money has this client spent so far on Upwork? Would you be able to identify a scammer if you met one?

27c48635
Community Member

Not really, thats why I am asking help here 🙂 It looks like they spent total 200$ .Anyhow I will inform him that I cant pay for subscription and can proceed only if he manages to do it. Thanks Elisa. 

elisa_b
Community Member

Please follow the links provided above by Nikola - learning how to protect yourself from scammers and how to use the platform properly is extremely important. Maybe the client is a scammer, maybe not, but payments and time tracking are not supposed to work that way. Stay safe.

Hi Anju,

Arjay here stepping in for Nikola. As he and other members mentioned in this thread, a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. That said, I took a closer look at the job post and escalated this to the appropriate team for further review. They will surely look into this and take action accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
27c48635
Community Member

Thanks Arjay , that would be helpful 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths