🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upselling scam?
Page options
4e9f431c
Community Member

Upselling scam?

I've just been contacted by my first client who has asked if I have an amazon kindle account and that his novel I would be reviewing is priced 99 cents. I kept my prices low as I have no references or examples of my work in my profile yet. This is a meager price but this information was not included in the description before applying and I am wondering if this could be a different kind of scam? I understand that I shouldn't leave the site to work or communicate as a general rule, are there risks that I am not recognizing or was I smart to take a moment to pause.

I don't have an account but it also doesn't seem like an unreasonable task. This is also a verified payer who has positive reviews, has hired hundreds of people via the site, and paid out plenty.

Can anyone share their experiences? How common does all this sound?
3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Samantha,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket where you can share more evidence so that we can investigate this further.
I also checked your account and would like to clarify that you still haven't been hired on an official contract. Please keep in mind that In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on an official contract and fulfill the criteria required.
To learn more about getting started on Upwork and how to protect yourself, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
f8796d07
Community Member

I was contacted by someone yesterday asking the same. I ended up reporting the person. Usually when someone wants a review, they provide the book for free. Paying someone to buy and then review your book is also against Amazon's Terms of Service, so they're definitely doing something a bit shady.

Thank you! I knew something seemed a bit fishy but I am unfamiliar with
amazon so that is good to know!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths