🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upwork Scammer Clients Spreading Spam on Tele...
Page options
mhuidesigns
Community Member

Upwork Scammer Clients Spreading Spam on Telegram: Alerting the Community"

Hi Upwork,

It appears that your platform still has issues with spammers, causing inconvenience to users. I have noticed unverified individuals spamming on the platform and luring unsuspecting new freelancers to pay for jobs through Telegram, resulting in scams. Additionally, I have heard from developers who sell websites that some verified clients ask for access and promise to pay hourly, only to initiate a dispute after the freelancer adds their hours, leading to a refund for the client and effectively getting a free website.

In this scenario, the freelancer loses both the money invested in the website and the connects spent on the job. I would like to know why it seems that freelancers always end up paying and facing numerous scams instead of finding legitimate jobs. Have you considered charging a job post fee of $5 from clients instead of the current $3 bid fee? Furthermore, I recently noticed that the minimum number of connects required for jobs has been revised to 12 or 10 without any prior notification. Considering that a job costs $5, and freelancers only receive $1.5 after deducting the Upwork fee and bid fee, it seems unfair.

In comparison, platforms like Shutterstock may pay only cents, but they provide a safer and more reliable experience without the risk of free work.

I hope you understand the concerns I have raised.

Sincerely,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Muhammad Hamza
8 REPLIES 8
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

A $5 fee isn't going to stop a scammer. They use stolen credit cards, so why would they care if there's a fee? It will only deter real clients.

it can and will not easy for anyone

Muhammad Hamza

Scammers are already verifying their payment methods using stolen credit cards, so why do you think they can't use the same cards to pay $5? They're making thousands of dollars a day from clueless freelancers, so some tiny little fee isn't going to bother them. 

But there's too many clients already scammers

Muhammad Hamza
williamtcooper
Community Member

Muhammad,

As in most of life, there are scams not only on Upwork, but everywhere. Click the Academy link on the top of this page for expert advice on how to best use the site. Thanks!

No William my question is why we are paying Upwork while every hour or min we see scam job posts

Muhammad Hamza

When you are viewing a potential scam job post, report it so Upwork can remove.

But how many times it's too much why they're unsecure 

Muhammad Hamza
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths