cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Muralidhar K Member Since: Sep 10, 2010
21 of 1,380
Yes, this post really helped me in setting up an effective profile and sending separately drafted cover letters with each bid. Thanks.
Steven A Member Since: Jan 17, 2010
22 of 1,380
I am new here and looking for my first job so naturally wanted to have a look at what you had to say. I am very glad I did and thank you for sharing your advice!
Charmaine T Member Since: Oct 1, 2010
23 of 1,380
This is a great article on how to go about getting your first job. Your experience in applying for jobs and being interviewed will only come through practice. Don't be shy to apply for jobs. Apply all day long and do not take a knock back personally. My first job that I posted on oDesk only received 8 applicants and I was very surprised. I invited a number of applicants for this position. My current job post has only received 1 response in 2 days. Just like contractors, I have reviewed and made changes to my job posting however I cannot urge contractors enough to 'have a go'. It is exactly the same as if you were unemployed in the traditional job market. If you are not working, your full time job is looking for work. You can do it!
Christine-hope C Member Since: Apr 12, 2010
24 of 1,380
Thanks for the advice.. Its nice to know a few tips from you.. thanks again
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
25 of 1,380
Ok so I wanna get 10 jobs at the same time. What I do? Smiley Sad
Ashis K Member Since: Dec 23, 2008
26 of 1,380
Hi nleger, I'm glad I read through your piece here! I registered with odesk few years back, but wasn't serious back then. Now that I've been at it for a few days, I almost gave up until I came across this post. I've changed mine accordingly and hoping for my first interview. Regards, Ashis
Diana M Member Since: Jul 30, 2010
27 of 1,380
:-D I love the way you respond to questions...hehe you're a blogger?
Naomi N Member Since: Dec 14, 2008
28 of 1,380
Rule number 4... always take credit when it's being handed out in a vague manner. If it's not meant for someone else - then it was meant for you Smiley Wink
Jose N Member Since: Aug 30, 2010
29 of 1,380
As a new person to oDesk, I feel that this article can help much although if you go through oDesk prompt they stated more or less the same tone. This certainly has a great deal of details that would open your eyes like they pop out of your socket. True you write something on your profile but are all items coherent and speak of you? Did you write a good cover letter that can catch employer interest? Yep, Id like to work under oDesk. So meantime, I will stop browsing jobs rather I would want to read over again and see my profile. Ill check it out. I commend the writer for taking that time for newbies, like me.
Poonam P Member Since: Oct 26, 2010
30 of 1,380
Thanks nleger for an elaborate advice to the greenhorns in freelancing. I have been at it for more than a week. I lacked contents for my portfolio and decided to write, in response to a demand for sample work, what I felt about looking for a freelancing job. The job was declined on some ethical grounds, which I don't want to narrate here. However, I posted the article at my website forum as Freelancing Jobs - Earning Credibility. I feel this article would complement this post of yours and decided to leave the link in this comment. I also thought of pasting the entire content as a new post with a reference to this post, but decided against it. Thanks a lot again. Hope the additional material I am refering to would be of some help to the new freelancers.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS