🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Why are there so many Scams?
Page options
c639ac58
Community Member

Why are there so many Scams?

I realize we should be looking out for red flags- but really, I've gotten such a large number of scam proposals and zero actual freelance clients. Beginning to feel very discouraged 😞

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

While we'll continue to allow criticism, posts that come without constructive feedback or are disparaging of other members won't be allowed. Forums like the Community are at their best when participants treat each other with respect and courtesy.

We do appreciate your participation, so please be considerate of this in your future replies.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

How is that impossible?  Just google about it and you'll find lots of information about how it's done. There's unlimited ways.

Keri A wrote:

How is that impossible?  Just google about it and you'll find lots of information about how it's done. There's unlimited ways.

I know very well about scams here. I don't need to google. There is a very good post about them.
What I'm asking is how you could have been involved in six scams.

It's different every time. I assume the work I do makes me taregted. There's a ton to gain. 

janrozs
Community Member

Upwork has been hijacked by an organized group of scammers around the time when there were big crackdowns on scam call centers in India. Upwork didn't do anything against it and rather embraced the resulting higher connects turnover.

752322d1
Community Member

Also can we trust comments under posts?They can hire people for show them legit.I'm a new freelancer translator here did 3 job.And its frustrating all companies paying outside of Platform.Last time I deliver my work they ask me 2598 Turkish Liras and I paid 2600 TL.Just bc I paid 2 tl more it doesnt send my money.Why I had to pay fee for the work I've done?What kinda backwards thing is that?I take debt for pay to fee and company says payment at hold.This is absolute ridiculous.I wasting my time for translate 100+ pages and in the end they asking for money . **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Let's see, do you have a contract on Upwork? I don't see any. Maybe it hasn't turned up yet? I doubt it.
Were the conversations in the Upwork chat or outside? If they were outside, for example on Telegram, you have skipped the ToS.
You agree to get paid outside of Upwork, and you also send money to the "client". Against TOS again, twice this time.

In short, you have done everything that you cannot do according to the ToS and now you blame Upwork?
I don't know if you realize that this doesn't make any sense.

Yes, in this case freelancer should've been more carful but I really can't understand how people actually defend Upwork here. It is clearly obvious that their protection and verification process lacks biiiiig time. I've just joined to get some side hustle for my down times but job-page is full of scams. I applied to 7 of them and 6 were scams, the reported jobs are getting shut down but exactly same job is getting posted 1 hour later. So as a freelance job platform, Upwork doing really bad, it's that simple.

If a person got scammed, there is only one party to blame here: scammers and the people who let them scam in an easy way. Yes, he/she should've and could've done things differently but solution to this problem is not telling them "don't get scammed" apart from going against ToS. ToS is a protection for the platform which is Upwork, not for the freelancers. 

Also its quite hypocritical when we criticize Upwork,moderators immediately pop up for the counter. But when scammers post jobs here anyone questioning their legitimacy?Force customers to make payment via upwork otherwise dont accept to posts.They can moderate their forums against criticize but can't moderate their site against scammers. They are blaming newcomers for being ignorant.İts such a shame new freelancers dont know this site have no moderation againts scammers?No way!Yeah civilians should secure to town instead police right?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths