Community Member

freelance work

Client is asking me to purchase items offline to work for them

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Karen,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the client you're referring to? I'll check that for you and advise you accordingly.

Edited to add:

I checked the job you are referring to and it have already been actioned in accordance with Upwork's TOS.

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Karen,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the client you're referring to? I'll check that for you and advise you accordingly.

Edited to add:

I checked the job you are referring to and it have already been actioned in accordance with Upwork's TOS.

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Karen L wrote:

Client is asking me to purchase items offline to work for them

I would not agree to that. 

re: "Client is asking me to purchase items offline to work for them"

Karen:

Would YOU hire a freelancer and ask her to buy things so that she can work for you?

Or would you send the freelancer the things that she needs?

What would YOU do?

I will leave them alone.  Thanks or replying

lewiskaren98
Community Member

Yes.

Computer, printer, etc... with a check they send.

Karen, while it's not unheard of that a client would pay for materials for a freelancer, what you describe is indeed a scam. You were right to be concerned. The check is fake. Further, it's a serious Upwork ToS violation for you to accept payment off platform (the check). Be sure that all your payments go through the Upwork platform and that you communicate with clients ONLY through the Upwork platform before you have a contract in place, and this will help you avoid scammers.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths