🐈
» Forums » Support » Active Fixed Contract Dispute - Client ghosti...
Page options
2e964b76
Community Member

Active Fixed Contract Dispute - Client ghosting for months

Hi there, 

I was hoping that someone could help me as I cannot find a support email or issue an escalation ticket, only a ChatBot, which has proven to not be helpful. 

I had a fixed contract for a copywriting gig. The contract is still active and the work has been complete since November. The agreed-upon total is $135, however, only $30 has been released. I've been waiting for months for the client to approve the milestone, sending them messages. 

They are unresponsive or ignoring my messages and I am short on $105. 

Can someone please assist?

Thanks, 

Suzette

4 REPLIES 4
melroen
Community Member

Hi Suzette,

If the next milestone is funded you need to submit your work through the green submit work button on your contract. The client will have 14 days to request revisions or release payment.

If the client doesn't do either, then the payment will be released to you after 14 days.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Melissa

2e964b76
Community Member

Hey Melissa, 

The work has been submitted, however previously I don't recall it seeing that that milestone had not been funded. When I go into the contract, there is an annotation saying that the milestone has not been funded, however all the work has been submitted during the first milstone. 

I'm not sure why they set up the milestones in they way they did anyways because there was only one submission. 

You cannot dispute non-prefunded milestone.

Look like that client got the work for $30. Thats all.

Next time start works only after prefunded.

melroen
Community Member

Hi Suzette,

I'm so sorry to hear that you appear to have worked for a dishonest client if he's not responding to your requests for payment at the agreed-upon contract price. The client could easily add another funded milestone or pay you the rest due by a bonus.

The fact that he hasn't responded since November to your payment requests is a response in itself.

Unfortunately, Upwork can't force a client to fund another milestone or issue a bonus payment.

As Mykola points out below, you should never submit the completed project to an underfunded milestone.

I don't do fixed-priced contracts so I can't advise you on how best to set up milestone payments to be assured you will be paid fairly for your work. Hopefully, a more experienced freelancer on fixed-priced contracts will respond to this thread and give you actionable advice going forward.

I know this is a tough lesson to learn since you worked hard to satisfy your client by delivering a completed project. In a perfect world, you deserve to be paid. 

However, Upwork does provide a course on fixed-priced contracts through Upwork Academy at the top of this page. Right now my only advice is to learn how to successfully and safely navigate the platform through Upwork's provided resources to avoid the many pitfalls of freelancing remotely online.

I wish you much success going forward! 

Best,

Melissa

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths