🐈
» Forums » Support » The beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
c3ca1bf0
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched

Hello, today, I am trying to add paypal as an additional payment method.

My full name on paypal account is Cong Dinh, which is the same on upwork account.

But upwork says:

Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

But I noticed that the verified name on contracts and invoices is Ding Cong. Is this the reason?

If so, this should not be a big deal!

Can you help me add paypal quickly?

Best regards.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 4 business days for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it.

In case you're adding a company account, the team will reach out to complete verification. You'll be asked to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:

• An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
  • A business license showing your name and the company name
  • Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner

You can learn more about this in this help article.

If it’s been more than 4 business days and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, you can contact support by: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

136 REPLIES 136
PradeepH

Hi Cong,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and can confirm that your payment method is already accepted. Your new payment method will be active after 3 days for security purposes. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi, Pradeep, thank you very much!
Best regards.

Please check mine too, all of cards are mine but Upwork keep on saying that my name is mismatched. Thank you 

Hi Valerie,

The team contacted you directly via a support ticket to further assist you. Please refer to your ticket and don't hesitate to follow up with the team if you have questions. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hello!

My upwork username is the same as my paypal username and the email is the same. But the upwork page says that my username doesn't match and later shows that my paypal payment method is not active. How can I fix this please?

Best regards.

Hi Ruan,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and it appears that your payment method is already accepted. You can fix the issue by completing the Tax Information page. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
90b6de4a
Community Member

I am having the same issue. It says my name does not match and it does. I went to the chat bot, they asked if there were any special characters and their aren't. How do I fix this?

f0045e50
Community Member

Hi in reference to my  Ticket ID # 45842979 for my issue of  "benificary name mismatch" i received a link to upload the documents.  It got completely skipped cuz i idint get any email/notification that i got a response from support. 

Now the link has expired. kindly send me the new link so i can upload the evidence. 

Hi Shariq,

I checked with our verification team and they have confirmed that they've sent you another email so that you can clear the mismatch in your account. Please have this completed as soon as possible by checking your email. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
nooruddinlakhani
Community Member

I live in Karachi, Pakistan. I have recently added my local bank HBL as payment method and It's showing "The beneficiary name is mismatched" I assure that I have added all the informations correctly and don't know why this status showing? Please guide further more on this so I can hopefully add It successfully.

Thanks

Hi Nooruddin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hello, I have an issue, before now I added my local bank account, it showed active after some day. Then after some days when I did my identity verification and earned my first money it began showing that the beneficiary name is not same as my Upwork account. This is not true. My name is Ngwuta Sunday Shedrach. That is my legal name. In all my dealings. Business, school everywhere. Even in my identity card. That is what is there. The same identification card I used to verify Upwork is the same i used to register bank account though the latter came first. I don't see why Upwork would keep doing this. Please review my account and correct this. My swift code, bank code and all the details have been confirmed to be how it is on my bank.

Please I need your reply 

Hi Ngwuta, 

I took a closer look at your account and confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. You can expect your new payment method to be active and ready for use in three days.

~ Arjay
Upwork
saifhassan27
Community Member

After Upwork corrects my verified name, it still says, "The beneficiary name is mismatched".

My Verified name on Upwork: (Saif Hassan Abdelnaby Ahmed Abdelnaby)

Paypal: Saif Hassan (first name: Saif) (Last name: Hassan).
If this is correct can you please activate my payment method?
If no please tell me how to write to match if I should change things with the Paypal name.
Thanks

33fad65b
Community Member

I recently made changes to my agency and had to verify myself again as a freelancer (this is all complete). 

Issue:

• When trying to set up either Freelancer or Business ACH bank, it shows mismatch benificiary.

Details:

• All of my bank accounts either are my (first name / last name) or (Middle name / last name) 
  • none of my accounts are first middle last.
  • I have always went by my middle name Austin Kimbell. (This has resulted in mismatch name for beneficiary I believe since my ID has first middle last. 

I need assistance in getting bank account issues resolved for future payouts. Can someone provide me with clear direction on how to fix?

Hi Austin,

I reached out directly to the team handling the review on your financial account and they confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method will be active and ready for use in three days. Thank you for reaching out!

~ Arjay
Upwork
eff308fd
Community Member

I've added a payment method yesterday, but it says ''THE BENEFICIARY NAME IS MISMATCHED'' even though my upwork and bank account name was the same. Please help me resolve this issue.

Hi Mohamed Ali,

I reached out directly to the team handling the review, and they confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method will be active in three days. You're all set! Thank you for reaching out.

~ Arjay
Upwork
11895cfb
Community Member

Upwork team,

unfortunately, my CNiC was in urdu language and Upwork fetched Fazeh Asad Ali instead of Fizza Asad Ali now I am having problems in setting up payment method as my name on Bank Account is Fizza Asad Ali not Fazeh Asad Ali. I can provide english Passport pic as a proof but kindly resolve my issue so that i can proceed with my payments.

Hi Fizza,

I took a closer look at your account and confirmed that the payment method you're referring to has been removed. Please be aware that if you are withdrawing directly to your bank account, the beneficiary name on your bank account must match your verified name on Upwork. 

Could you please try and add your preferred payment method to your account. If your payment method was flagged for a name mismatch, you may add a new payment method that reflects your Upwork verified name, or reply to the email sent from Upwork to start the process of verifying that you are an authorized user on the payment method.

Let us know if you need further assistance afterward; we'll gladly look into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
7c197640
Community Member

I have entered my nickname when I created my upwork profile but I edited it to my full legal name and it has been a week and still can't verify my identification due to a mismatch of name and I can't edit the name when I try to verify. Please see photo for reference

Hi Luisa,

I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork
5bfafd53
Community Member

Hi,

I need help as Upwork rejected my payment method due to a name mismatch between the bank account name (which shows my company's name) and my profile name.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Jeff

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to let you know that I reached out to the team handling your case and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
4f1cab85
Community Member

Can someone please tell me how to send my company's bank account verification information?

Hi Derek,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
zaynullabiden
Community Member

Hi, name on my upwork account is "Zainulabiden" as per my legal name on id card and my bank account has a difference of just one "e" and name is "Zainulabideen", rest of all information is same. Now I am adding my new account it is giving me beneficiary mismatch error. Whereas I was using the previous bank account with same title "Zainulabideen" which currenlty active method. but now that branch is closed so I am changing my bank account. Kindly approve my payment method. Thanks!

Hi Zainulabiden,

I reached out directly to the team handling the case and they confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your new payment method will be active and ready for use in three days. Thank you for reaching out!

~ Arjay
Upwork
mrjvitor
Community Member

I tried to add a bank account to my payment methods, but was notified that there was a name mismatch. The problem is that my name has characters that cannot be used in the name of the account in question, so I used a variation excluding the accents. Since it's a minor variation (only two characters difference), I have waited for a few days to see if the problem would be resolved. Unfortunately, I didn't get any response. Does anyone know what can be done?

Hi João,

Thank you for your message. I have followed up with the team handling your request and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been approved. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
d89ca027
Community Member

My name is Tuğba Korucu. I always have the Turkish character "ğ". That's why I can't get my money from Upwork. Can you help me with this? I can't get paid

Hi tugba,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I reached out to the team handling your case and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
caff5704
Community Member

My last name was verified differently with with one letter , My family name is Zineldin so I can not get my PayPal to withdraw.

Also, I am from Egypt and don't know how to get my TIN , please help me 

Hi Mohamed,

I took a closer look at your account and confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. You can now complete the W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E to fully activate your payment method. To proceed, you’ll need to complete three cards in the Tax Information section of your settings. 

You may visit this help article for more information and detailed instructions.

~ Arjay
Upwork
caff5704
Community Member

Thank you for your responce but I still have the same problem with phrase: ( Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.) 

husnafzal
Community Member

Hi, 
I didn't know the policy that for buying connects we have to use a credit/debit card of the name similar to my account name. I mistakenly used my Husband's card. hence upwork restricted my actions and required account verification. I deleted my husband's card from the records and now uploaded a debit card with my name. but my verification is still showing my husband name.how do I remove my husband name ,so that it shows my name and I can verify it with my government id.

Hi there,

I understand that you've encountered an issue with your payment method due to Upwork's policy on using a credit/debit card that matches the name on your account. You've done the right thing by removing your husband's card and adding one that is in your name.

Here are steps you can take to fix this issue:

1. Contact Support: Reach out to Upwork's customer support team, explaining the situation. They are the only ones with the authority to assist you with account verification issues and can guide you through the process of updating your name.
  2. Prepare Documentation: Have your government-issued ID and the new debit card ready for when you are asked to provide proof to Upwork's support team.
  3. Request Name Correction: Ask explicitly for instructions on how to remove your husband's name from the verification process and replace it with your name.

If you got need again then feel free to reach out me. Thanks

I am trying to connect to Upwork support team but unfortunately I am unable to navigate that how to contact them.

Hi Husna,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths