🐈
» Forums » Support » I think I am scammed by a payment verified Cl...
Page options
bijayghamal
Community Member

I think I am scammed by a payment verified Client

The client was a payment verified client who asked me to send money to his clients in Nepal who otherwise could not receive the money they worked for this client in the UK (I think he is from there). 

He agreed to cover the Upwork charge and additional money for me for this job. He even opened the contract and the funds were in escrow and in Pending status to which he ended the contract after I sent the money to his client as was agreed. Now today when I checked my Reports in Upwork, I do not see that amount anymore. I don't know how this could be when the money is already in Pending and was able to be on 'Available' and suddenly I don't see any. 

I've lost $1550 on this. 

Can you please help get my monies back?

I have attached all our conversations below.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am think I am scammed by a payment verified client"

You are correct.

You were scammed.

re: "I've lost $1550 on this. Can you please help get my monies back?"

Sorry, but no.

You will never get that money back.

re: "client who asked me to send money to his clients in Nepal who otherwise could not receive the money they worked for this client in the UK (I think he is from there). He agreed to cover the Upwork charge and additional money for me for this job. He even opened the contract and the funds were in escrow and in Pending status to which he ended the contract after I sent the money to his client as was agreed."

You're not allowed to do that.

I'm very sorry about what happened.

You participated in a scam.

You violated Upwork ToS.

For anybody reading this:
Upwork does not allow users to exchange funds outside of the Upwork platform.

Upwork does not allow jobs that are simply about moving money around. Scammers use this technique to steal money from freelancers.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
bijayghamal
Community Member

Even after the client has opened the contract and the funds were available in Pending today it's gone. The client by name**Edited for Community Guidelines** message option is also not available. 

I lost around $1550 with this client. I need Upwork to help me get it back. 

You violated a very serious Upwork TOS rule.

You sent money to a client outside of the Upwork platform.

I KNOW FOR CERTAIN that you feel bad about this. I am very sorry, but you can not get that money back.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am think I am scammed by a payment verified client"

You are correct.

You were scammed.

re: "I've lost $1550 on this. Can you please help get my monies back?"

Sorry, but no.

You will never get that money back.

re: "client who asked me to send money to his clients in Nepal who otherwise could not receive the money they worked for this client in the UK (I think he is from there). He agreed to cover the Upwork charge and additional money for me for this job. He even opened the contract and the funds were in escrow and in Pending status to which he ended the contract after I sent the money to his client as was agreed."

You're not allowed to do that.

I'm very sorry about what happened.

You participated in a scam.

You violated Upwork ToS.

For anybody reading this:
Upwork does not allow users to exchange funds outside of the Upwork platform.

Upwork does not allow jobs that are simply about moving money around. Scammers use this technique to steal money from freelancers.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Bijay,

In addition to the information Preston shared, feel free to browse Upwork Community, specifically Trust & Safety hub, this post by an experienced Community member and by our Trust & Safety team member to learn more about red flags to watch out for and working safely. One of our team members will also be sharing more information about your specific case with you via a support case. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

You will never get your money back. Despite how it sounds and what it makes you think, Payment Verified does not mean the client really can or will pay.

bijayghamal
Community Member

And how about the payment that has already passed through the Review and was on Pending before being available? Does not that mean the funds are already secure in Escrow? Than how could that money be taken back by the client without I accept or reject the refund request?

No just because the money shows as being in escrow does not mean you will get it. They can use stolen cards to put money in escrow because Upwork doesn't make sure they aren't stolen before allowing clients to do that. After the card is later discovered to be stolen, that money is taken back by the bank or credit card compnay so Upwork does not get it and so then neither do you. You are not protected by Upwork from this happening and there is no way for you to ever get the money.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths