🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
194b837d
Community Member

Identity Verification

Hey I have submitted both government document and a selfie. It says it has started a manual verification process. It has been three days. Please look into this. Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Eman,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

I checked, and the verification team requested that you submit a valid document. Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Please avoid cropping, altering, or uploading a screenshot of your ID card. Acceptable documents include a passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

In addition, if you are having trouble completing the verification process, please ensure that your mobile browser is in mobile view to proceed smoothly with the verification. Also, please ensure that you allow us to access your camera by turning the permission on. For your guidance, please see the details below:

For Google Chrome

• On the left of your address bar, tap Camera or Microphone. These icons only appear if you previously changed your camera and microphone permissions for the site. Turn Permissions on or off.

For Safari

• Go to Settings on your device. Scroll down and open the Safari tab. Ensure Camera & Microphone are set to Allow.

Tips to capture an image:

• Take the photo of the ID from above, with the ID lying on a flat, dark surface
  • Don’t cover up any part of the ID or your face
  • Leave margins on all sides of the image
  • Don’t use a flash
You may also visit this Verify Your Identity article to learn more about verifying your identity. If the steps above did not help, please let us know so we can assist you further.
~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

481 REPLIES 481
JoanneP

Hi Eman,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

I checked, and the verification team requested that you submit a valid document. Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Please avoid cropping, altering, or uploading a screenshot of your ID card. Acceptable documents include a passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

In addition, if you are having trouble completing the verification process, please ensure that your mobile browser is in mobile view to proceed smoothly with the verification. Also, please ensure that you allow us to access your camera by turning the permission on. For your guidance, please see the details below:

For Google Chrome

• On the left of your address bar, tap Camera or Microphone. These icons only appear if you previously changed your camera and microphone permissions for the site. Turn Permissions on or off.

For Safari

• Go to Settings on your device. Scroll down and open the Safari tab. Ensure Camera & Microphone are set to Allow.

Tips to capture an image:

• Take the photo of the ID from above, with the ID lying on a flat, dark surface
  • Don’t cover up any part of the ID or your face
  • Leave margins on all sides of the image
  • Don’t use a flash
You may also visit this Verify Your Identity article to learn more about verifying your identity. If the steps above did not help, please let us know so we can assist you further.
~ Joanne
Upwork
6ff55b1f
Community Member

JoanneP,

I still have not heard back. It is now coming upi to 120 hours ...can you please follow-up

S

57e41f36
Community Member

Hi, I'm new to upwork and need to verify my ID in order to apply to jobs. I've encountered an issue; the name that I identify with is Fahad Omar, but the name on my ID card is Fahad Abdulla Ummer. I used to have the name Fahad Omar on my profile until I found out that I had to verify my identity and the names on my profile and on my ID card had to match, knowing this I changed the name on my Upwork account, but the verification page is still asking for the old name I had on my account, which is Fahad Omar. I don't know what to do about this, I can not contact any agent or get support and there is no way that I can verify my account since the names don't match. Is there anybody who can come up with a solution to this? Should I just wait until they update the name for the id verification?

Hi Fahad,

Thanks for reaching out! We can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further. Please refrain from creating multiple support tickets. This ensures the team can efficiently help you by consolidating all relevant information in one ticket. We appreciate your understanding. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
c1d0c148
Community Member

Hello JoanneP I tried to buy connects it took me to a verification page, which says I will only be able to buy connects  after verification and I have never been asked to verify my identity, kindly I need to be verified so I can buy connects and get jobs for my agency, looking forward to your response thank you.

Hi Trend Adams,

I checked your agency account and can confirm that you've already upgraded your membership. I tried to replicate the purchase connects option and it is working. Could you please log into your account and switch to your agency account, then go here. If the issue persists, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
c1d0c148
Community Member

Thank you I have tried it works well it seems I can no longer use my connects except the agency because I am an administrator kindly can you assist me further with my ID verification and that of my team members to increase our viability here?

Thank you

b2b83583
Community Member

Hello, i am facing a problem with identity verification i asked to place my government issued id  on the center and i do what i told to do but it's not taking the picture it keeps saying try again the same thing happened on visual verification it says place your face in the oval i placed and waited along but it's not taking the picture i tried more than 6 times but there is no change. I told that i have only 7 days to verify my identity i left only 4 days what should i do?

4f7f51bb
Community Member

hello,

i dont have an identity verification area under my settings. can you please resend the material? i can not work with the people I need to without it.

68da92fd
Community Member

Hi, i did also the same thing i submitted my id and selfei so its been many days and still i got the verification notification on my upwork home page anyou help me with this .

Community Member

Hi Joanne, I'm new to this so bear with me 🙂

I created my account yesterday and received an email telling me to verify my email address.

In the same email, I received the following message “Please note that not all applications to join Upwork are accepted. We will notify you of our decision by email within 24 hours."

I still haven't received confirmation more than 24 hours later.

Nevertheless I was able to set up my account (payment method, complete my CV, complete tax information etc.).

Does this mean that my account is active? If is not the case, could you please check?

Thank you very much.

1e64c683
Community Member

Hi, I am Arifur Rahman. I'm new to upwork and need to verify my ID in order to apply to jobs. I've encountered an issue;i dont have an identity verification area under my settings. can you please resend the material? i can not work with the people I need to without it.

61e3b20e
Community Member

Some of your services are temporarily on hold.
Hi, My name is Zenat Amin, and had recently verified my account!
I added Payoneer as a Payment method and mistakenly wrote the Account details of one of my family member but the moment i got know about the policy of Upwork that the name should be the same on both Upwork and Bank accounts, I removed that Bank from my account but now I've seen a notification that is saying
"Some of your services are temporarily on hold. We would love to get you up and running again on Upwork. But first, we need you to take a few minutes to verify your identity. Click “Get Started” below to begin or “Learn More” for details", and when i click on get started to verify my account and enter my mobile number I receive a message with link when I click on given link the same page opens again.
I don't know why this happen, please help!

Hi Zenat,

I see that you already have an ongoing support ticket with the relevant team. I notified them of your Community post and you can rest assured they'll follow up with you as soon as their review is done.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
82cff35d
Community Member

Hi Luiggi, I have similar issue like Zenat. However, in my case, the verification request my brother's ID. And I cannot verify with my own ID, as if the system record that the account owner is my brother. And this issue has been going on for a week now. My account is as a client. I cannot activate and fund the 3rd milestone in my contract. I had submit the appeal via Upwork platform. I really appreciate if Upwork team can help me resolve this matter soonest possible. Here I attached 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hello Amilin,

I am sorry to hear about your ID Verification concern. I checked your account and I see here that you already have an ongoing support ticket with the assigned team. I shared your post with the team handling your case. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~Ivy
Upwork

Hello lvygail, I need help regarding my identity verfication as well. I got the identity verfication for my profile on the very first day but after all the submissions my account is on hold. 

137fbd84
Community Member

Hello Luiggi, Can you please have a look to my acount and tell me why it is on hold?

Hi Upwork Community,

I’m writing here out of sheer frustration and hope for some assistance or clarification. My Upwork account was recently suspended without any prior notification or explanation from Upwork. I’ve contacted support multiple times regarding this issue but have yet to receive any response or resolution.

This situation has left me in a difficult position as I rely on Upwork for my freelance work. The lack of communication and support is quite disheartening, especially when my livelihood is at stake.

If anyone has experienced something similar or has any advice on how to escalate this matter, I would greatly appreciate your input. I’m hoping that bringing this issue to the community’s attention might prompt a response from Upwork support.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards,

Rao Usama

Seems you've just started using Upwork and finished two jobs within a couple of weeks with a total earnings of $50. 

Wondering how your livelihood is depending on Upwork only?

And one of those two clients also opened his account from your own country and almost the same time as you and awarded you his and your first job. This may raised a red flag. Raise a support ticket with Upwork if you didnt violate any ToS of Upwork and they will assist you.

Hello Rao,

I am sorry to hear about your support experience. Your feedback is important to us as we work on improving our services. I'll make sure to pass on your feedback to our team for review. I have checked and it appears that the restriction on your account has been lifted. You can access your ticket on this page.

~Ivy
Upwork

Hello Muhammad,

I am sorry to hear about the restriction on your account. I’ll be glad to help. I have forwarded this report to our designated team and one of our agents will contact you directly via a support ticket to provide you with the necessary assistance. You can access your ticket on this page.

~Ivy
Upwork

I seriously NEED HELP.  I just created a CLIENT account last Friday, June 14 2024. It's now Wednesday, June 19 2024. I keep getting an error that says

"Some of your services are temporarily on hold.

We are completing a Know Your Customer  review of your account. This process should be completed within 24 to 48 hours. If the hold on your account is not removed within 48 hours, please contact Upwork Customer Support."

My phone and email had BOTH been Verified.  I do NOT see any emails from UpWork regarding any verification.  I do NOT see any Request either.  I tried to add payment methods but the above message shows up again.   When I tried to click on "Appeal" it sends me to a page that keeps disappearing after a 1 second flash. So I cannot even file an appeal.    SO officially, I cannot authenticate anything.    I feel like there's something jammed on the backend on UpWork side that forbids my application to authenticate and verify my ID.

Do I just delete my brand new account and re-register?  What are the implications?

Can someone HELP!?

Thank you!

c8bdd001
Community Member

This was helpful thanks.

b2b83583
Community Member

Hey, upwork team

I asked to verify my identity and i start the process but it ends up with disappointment. Even thogh i follow the guide it is not taking the picture specially when it comes to selfie it keeps saying place your face in the oval even though i placed it with good light makes it to identify easily. I am using infinix hot8 with android version of 8.1 to verify my identity also i tried it with another phone but i understand that the problem is not coming from me. Please help me to finish this process i am missing a lot.

With regard,

Seada Tofik

b2b83583
Community Member

Hey, upwork team

I asked to verify my identity and i started the process following all the instructions but it ends up with desappointment. Even though i fulfilled the instructions it is not working specially when it comes to selfie it keeps saying "place your face in the oval" even though i placed it with good light to identity it clearly. I used infinix hot8 to verify also i used another phone with android version of 10 by assuming the issue comes from my mobile but there is no change. Please help me to finish this process, i am missing alot.

With regard,

Seada Tofik.

Hi Seada,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear about the issues you experience with the verification process. Could you please try once more to add all the required information on this page so that our team can review your identity? 

~ Nikola
Upwork
bb3c6063
Community Member

Hi nikola S,

Iam having same issue, its being more than 6 months since im on upwork and i didnt got verified badge,i also didn't received any upwork mail, i also check my spam folders,please let me know the process

525da68e
Community Member

Hello Team Upwork , 

I am facing an issue that whenever i click on get started button to verify it brings me on to a page where there is two option one is to scan a QR code and other one is to enter phone number when i enter my phone and click send some link will be received by me in my text inbox and whenever i click on that link it brings me back on a page where there is two option one is to scan a QR code and other is one is to enter phone number when i again enter my phone number same things goes on .I am stuck in some kind of loop and now Alert message is showing that i have extended the max texts we can send ...Please Help me get out of this loop
Thanks 
b2b83583
Community Member

Hey, upwork team

When will the manual verification ends i submitted the information 2 days ago. Please finish the process as soon as possibleam excited to work on upwork.

With regard,

Seada

Hi Seada,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced while verifying your account. After reviewing your account, it seems that your previous submission was rejected because the image of your ID card was not acceptable. Please avoid cropping, altering, or uploading a screenshot of your ID card. To complete your verification more efficiently, you can refer to the tips section on this help page.

- Pradeep

Upwork
ec5125ff
Community Member

I want to verify my account but ID verification option is not showing on my profile. What is the reason for this?

e4be2dea
Community Member

Hi,

I was asked to verify my account and I submitted my government ID and selfie, seems the selfie was successful and the ID was not, I was not notified to know if the submission was successful or not, please see attached so I know if I am to resubmit the government ID, also, on my government ID I have my names appear, that is Last name, first name and other names while on upwork I just have my First name and last name, hope this is not going to be an issue?

Screenshot_20240615-212706.jpg

Hi Sandra,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced while verifying your account. After reviewing your account, it seems that your previous submission was rejected because the image of your ID card was not acceptable. Please avoid cropping, altering, or uploading a screenshot or printout of your ID card. To complete your verification more efficiently, you can refer to the tips section on this help page. You can resubmit an alternate document from the Settings page.

- Pradeep

Upwork
ffbcdb95
Community Member

Hi JoanneP,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek assistance with the identity verification process on my Upwork account.

I have attempted multiple times to submit my National ID for verification, as I am from the Philippines. Despite my efforts and ensuring that the documents meet the required standards, my verification has not been approved. I believe the verification may need to be reviewed manually.

Could you please assist me in resolving this issue as soon as possible? I am eager to continue working on Upwork and appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response.

42b271fc
Community Member

I am having this issue too. It would tell me verification complete but I still haven't been verified despite using a valid government issued ID card.

Hello Joshua,

I'm sorry that you were having trouble with the verification process. Upon checking with the relevant team, I can confirm that your account has been successfully verified. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
149da3ad
Community Member

Hello moderator, I'm having issues verifying my ID. i have used a government issued National ID which is the NIN slip and the Digital ID card and yet have not been verified. I'm ready to do any necessary further verification because have to done the selfie part and the Government ID is the issue now. The NIN SLIPS was issued by the Government and they only give slips. I'm ready for any further details needed because the ID i uploaded was mine and correspond with my upwork details. Please 

mmarkulj
Community Member

Dear Luiggi,

Could you pls check my verification status, I am unable to send proposal until verification finished.

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths