🐈
» Forums » Support » Regarding Freelancer who lost $1000's in work...
Page options
7212849b
Community Member

Regarding Freelancer who lost $1000's in work due to not backing up designs / computer crash

Hello,

I hired a desinger here who has done very nice work and we have worked together a long time, like a couple years. I have paid him say around $2,500 total. He did a lot of T-Shirt designs. Then the other month he said he had a computer crash and all the source files for the artwork were lost. {.psd, .ai files}. Fortuantely I had been sent low resoultion like {72 dpi} copies of the artwork.

Since I already paid for this work to be done once, approved many designs, and was never sent a copy of the source files, and considering it is sensible practice and common knowlege that in this line fo work you should back up your machine on a regular basis, I feel it is not ethical to have to pay him twice for {re}creating the same work from the low resoultion images. I have not talked to him about this yet, and I think he would agree. But I am wondering if there is a place here for dispute resolution.

I am also wondering what kind of work schedule I might expect him to have regarding redoing all the work on his own time.
I understand he has to make a living, but I want to start selling product, and would like at least 6 designs re-done in a month, after which it would be okey to have all desings re-done in a six month period.

It seems this site is deviod of aministration personnel altogether. Who is running this site and is there any customer sevice, or people here that handle dispute resolution?

Any ideas? 

2 REPLIES 2
JoanneP

Hi Revel,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm really sorry to hear that your freelancer lost all those valuable work completed. I can understand that this will hurt the deadlines set for your business. You can discuss this with the freelancer first and see the best reasonable option to get this resolved. As for the payment, please check the following information:

For hourly contracts, it's important to note that you pay for the hours worked by the freelancer, not per work delivered. Therefore, it's essential to keep track of the weekly billing cycle to ensure you make time to review the number of hours your freelancer has worked.

If you encounter an issue with your freelancer, it's best to pause the contract to prevent them from logging more hours while you resolve it. You can always resume the contract later.

For fixed-price contracts, if you are not happy with the delivered work, you can ask the freelancer to revise the work submitted. Note that these contracts are paid per approved work.

If needed, you can cancel a project and request for your escrow funds to be refunded. It's important to remember that you cannot use any unpaid work done by your freelancer.

You can also choose to release a partial amount and request a refund for the remaining amount. It's important to note that releasing the payment indicates that you have reviewed the work and agreed to release the payment.

Here is a helpful article that you can check. Just so you know, I have also shared your concern with the team for further assistance. One of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
c7dfe842
Community Member

what i would recommend doing is trying to upscale the images using AI as it would most probably give the best results/ time but the results will be images and not vector files so you may have to upscale them alot of you plan on printing in a big surface ! 
good luck

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths