Community Member

Scam

How do I get help reporting a scam?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Katie, 

Thank you for taking the time to report this here. Since the job has already been removed, the team has already taken action against the client and the job post. This is most likely a well-known scam, and the client's modus is the same. 

It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

You may also want to read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, this Community article, and these articles for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

Just click on "Flag as inappropriate" on the job post page.

4a1fb4d8
Community Member

The post has been removed so that option isn't available. I am looking for a way to provide detailed information on exactly what transpired with this posting.

Report individual messages by hovering you cursor over them and opening the menu when you see the three dots (it's usually next to a star icon).

Or wait for an Upwork moderator to respond to this thread (they have the Upwork logo next to their names).

re: "The post has been removed so that option isn't available. I am looking for a way to provide detailed information on exactly what transpired with this posting."

The job post has already been removed because other people reported it.

Nothing that you experienced with this scammer is new. Upwork has seen it hundreds of times already.

You don't need to spend any more time on this.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Katie, 

Thank you for taking the time to report this here. Since the job has already been removed, the team has already taken action against the client and the job post. This is most likely a well-known scam, and the client's modus is the same. 

It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

You may also want to read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, this Community article, and these articles for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
44d82a21
Community Member

Hello my dear readers!!
This is my first time using this platform. So, I tried to nail 2 translation jobs so I can earn some money to support my family and I got scammed twice.
Both clients told me to buy an ID card for 50 dollars and refused to let it be transacted from my payment. They also told me to do a sample translation from English to Arabic.
I want to report their names here so you guys won't interact with these scammers. The first one named **Edited for Community Guidelines** . they both contacted me on telegram . Taking the fact that they contacted me immediately after i sent my proposal, started out nice and professional and became rude after I refused to pay for their ID card. I believe that according to Upwork's terms and conditions I am not supposed to pay to such things, I am here to earn income and not hurt my wallet. They both assumed to be a part of some company and asked to translate unrelated paper work. Hope that the Upwork team finds this and as a UX design learner right now I would like to suggest declining every client who their payment isn't verified . I know that there's a chance they'll apply again with a different name but the names I wrote are their telegram account names and I'll send the second's location ( the first one got reported and deleted and the second one's location is on his demand) it's Iloilo from the Philippines at 11:08 PM .
And I want back my connects from these scammers. It's our rights as freelancers to work in a safe platform . Thank you for your time and consideration. And for freelancers like me , I want to ask for some tips to boost my portfolio and learn more about writing and UX .

Ela B wrote:

And I want back my connects from these scammers. It's our rights as freelancers to work in a safe platform . 

If you'd read the terms of service, you would have learned that you're not allowed to work here until you're 18, and you also aren't allowed to contact people on Telegram before you have a proper job offer. 

Even if you were of age, people with no experience and no portfolio pieces can't realistically expect to get writing jobs, and certainly not for $60/hour. You'll need to gain some real-world experience and come back when you're ready, because you will only attract more scammers.

6747bf4e
Community Member

Hello, i have a strange situation. i applied to transcribe a series of documents (100 photos) in 3 days, saying that i would be paid 25 per image (knowing that it is not the usual payment). i know that this is one of the most usual scam jobs but i would like to get your opinion if possible. i did the job in 1 day, i have it ready but i am not sending it because it doesn't smell good to me. he didn't ask me for any security deposit, however he did ask me to contact him by telegram and there he told me to download the images from a website called wetransfer. from what i have read on upwork all the jobs must go through there but so far no luck because they always ask me to contact by telegram as well as money, which i know is a scam (luckily i have not fallen in any of this style so far). however this is the only one that has not asked me for money. i want to do things right following the policy of upwork, it is part of my reputation. so i want to know what you think of this job i am telling you about?

Olivia A wrote:

i want to do things right following the policy of upwork, it is part of my reputation. 

Communicating outside Upwork before a contract is in place is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service all freelancers agree to when they create an account.

Please read the main article at the top of the page of the following post and follow all the links.

Solved: Re: To all freelancers looking for help - Page 27 - Upwork Community

Hi Olivia,

Yes this is a common scam, and no you won't be paid for the work you did because it doesn't look like you have a contract.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/One-way-to-avoid-being-scammed-Don-t-start-work-withou...

Community Member

Ok

I will try

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths