🐈
» Forums » Support » The beneficiary name is mismatched.
Page options
18d977ae
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched.

Added my bank as a new payment method and I have been told that the beneficiary name is incorrect. How do I fix this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

Update 05/30: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

908 REPLIES 908
a7029b00
Community Member

My name both on upwork and paypal are the sam, but for some reason I'm getting an error. Please help me 🙂

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lubov,

Please allow 48 hours for the name mismatch on your account to be reviewed.

~Andrea
Upwork
techybheam
Community Member

The issue has been solved. Thank you.

It has been solved. Thank you.

swprodev
Community Member

Firstly I completed my first job earlier this week and the funds havent appeared on my background profile pages anywhere.

Secondly, I'm receiving the following notification on my account:

"Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account"

Please can somebody help me out with this.

Thanks!

Hi John,

Your payment method is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

How long does it take for released funds to appear in my Upwork balance?

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi John,

If you're referring to funds released from a milestone, they will be available to withdraw after a 5-day security period. You can check this in Reports > Overview.

~Andrea
Upwork
putrarammadhani
Community Member

Hello, i have an issue with withdrawal payment option, few days a go my local bank withdrawal option suddenly was declined by upwork, it says beneficiary name is not the same, i did already contact my local bank and get the swift code and other details, and it's working just fine, so i decided to change option to payoneer withdrawal, it also says declined with similar case like local bank, need help to solve this problem, thank you

Hi Putra,

I'd like to confirm that this has been resolved. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Joanne, I really hope i can use my local bank account instead of payoneer , i dont mind wait for 48 hour, thanks for your help.

Hi Putra,

I already escalated this to our team and they have confirmed that this has been fixed. Could you please check here under payment methods? Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
dharmiex
Community Member

Thank you. The issue has been resolved.

Hi Oluwadamilola,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and it looks like your name mismatch is now approved. Could you please let us know if you need further assistance? 

~ Nikola
Upwork
0ae1ea13
Community Member

I am having this issue saying "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account." for weeks now. What shall I do about it?

Hi Estifanos,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method is accepted and will be active in 3 days.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

ok, Thank you.

It is fixed already, Thank you.

0ae1ea13
Community Member

It is fixed already, Thank you very much.

yangko45
Community Member

Hi. Ive recently added a payment method and its showing name mismatched. Ive updated my name, address, contact no. and even my email on my local bank. It is the same but still showing the same error message. May I request for an assistance. Thank you so much.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stefani, 

It looks like you recently added your payment methods. This is working as designed. Please allow 48 hours for the team to review your account details. If there's any issue, the team will reach out to you directly. 

~ Avery
Upwork
6df2c564
Community Member

Hi Upwork,

I am currently working as a freelancer and I  would like to change from my bank account to a company account that  I established with my husband. but I get notified like this: 
'Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.'

I saw this FAQ but I can not reach Upwork team directly and can not send the document to prove it. 
How can I reach to the Upwork team and solve this issue. 

Thank you!

Hi Seungeun,

Thank you for your message. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
6dea4891
Community Member

Hello, 

I've been in contact with an agent the past few days now (after having to look for an email on twitter because it appears to be hidden on all of the Help&Support pages) because the names on my payment method apparently does not match the name on my Upwork account.

I asked the agent to tell me specifically, which name it is that I am supposed to be sending verfication for. My account is listed with both my maiden and my married name.

However, I linked two accounts. One with my maiden name, and one with my married name. Somehow, neither one matches. 

This is aside from the fact that when I first linked my accounts, the system said someone would reach out to me in 48 hours. After a week, and an agitated email on my part, I get an automated response. But still no specific answer from the agent. 

Am I to upload verification of my married name and maiden name? Please let me know which name does not match the name on my bank account. 

It says they need to verify my legal name. My legal name has already been verified. 

I am beyond annoyed with customer service, or the lack thereof, at this point.  

I would appreciate it if my issue could be escalated, or at least answered with specific detail. Even a hey, you should only have one name on your account to make this easier would suffice at this point.

But then, I'll probably need to verify my identity again. For the third time. 

Hi Hadiyah,

Thank you for your message. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
693160ab
Community Member

Greetings! I am writing to you because I need assistance, I opened my upwork account a while ago, but I want to start taking advantage of it and playing my role as a professional. However, when I registered on Upwork I used my nickname as my name (which is easier to pronounce).

My name is Pierángela Ferrer, but my nickname is Piera, because it is more comfortable when talking. I wanted to add my PayPal account as a payment method but it is inactive due to the inconvenience of the name mismatch.

I would like to know how we can solve this problem. Thank you for your time and attention.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pierángela,

Your beneficiary name has been approved. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
anamaria1611
Community Member

Hello!

I get this message "Beneficiary name is mismatched" after I added my local bank account information in Get paid section. The local bank account si on my name and also the Upwork account. What can I do in this situation? I have also raised this with customer support. 

Thank you!

Hi Ana Maria,

Please allow 48 hours for the team to review your account details. If there's any issue, the team will reach out to you directly. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
1fd9cb08
Community Member

My direct to bank payment method is deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account. I have corrected my name but I am still not able to withdraw my amount. 

Hi Aftab, 

Our team will update your payment method shortly and you will be able to withdraw your funds. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
6f0ba7a7
Community Member

Hello, when I add payment information, Upwork suspends them because my name on Upwork does not match the name on my payment methods. When I created my account, I had made a mistake on my last name. I tried to change it but Upwork seems to keep the wrong last name, is there any way to fix it?

Hi Sem,

Your payment method is now updated and you can withdraw your funds at any time. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
496f4dfc
Community Member

Hi, my name is Berke Cemil Bag, when I try to withdraw money from my account I am keep getting this error.
'' Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account'' 

My name on bank account is the same with my Upwork account, everything seems fine but the problem stays.
I tried multiple bank accounts of mine but same problem occurs.
Please Help.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Berke,

Please allow 48 hours for your name mismatch to be reviewed.

~Andrea
Upwork
adl1s
Community Member

Problem:The beneficiary name is mismatched. 
I need help confirming my Paypal account as a withdrawal method. My name is correct on the paypal site, and on the upwork site. What do I need to do?

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dmitriy,

I checked and there is no mismatch flag on your PayPal payment method. Please allow 3 days for it to become active, this is standard for security reasons.

~Andrea
Upwork
noushad_bhuiyan
Community Member

suddenly my account showing 'Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.'  I have completed multiple transaction by using same name configuration and as far i remember i didnot make any change in my name. please help to solve my issue.

Hi A B M Noushad,

Please allow 48 hours for your name mismatch to be reviewed.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
09e7a737
Community Member

I am having the same issue with Beneficiary Name Mismatch, I am second account titular, and I have tried with my fullname (as in govermenet issued ID), abbreviated name as in Upwork (**Edited for community guidelines**) and always it reports a name mismatch.
I got an email message that was "manually reviewed" and yet there was a name mismatch.  Why is this happening? if my name in account is First Name and Last Name as is common use.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths