๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Support ยป Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
Hassan W Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Joanne P Moderator

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions youโ€™re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If youโ€™re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the โ€˜Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select โ€˜Sendโ€™. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Zubair,

As AJ mentioned, kindly contact your card-issuing bank and PayPal support to inquire about the specific decline when you tried adding the card. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist.

~ Luiggi
Zubair A Community Member

And tell them what?
Upwork didn't give me any specific error about card expiry/validation/balance etc to be able to chase my issuing bank, so unless it's a very specific error I can't contact them and expect them to be supportive

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Zubair,

We also do not have this information hence Luiggi's response. Please tell your card-issuing bank that your card was declined so they can look into what may have caused this. 

~ AJ
Upwork
Zubair A Community Member

The issue was fixed by Upwork team, and they activated my card, I didn't need to contact my issuing bank at all.

I successfully made a payment with that card.

Servicemark V Community Member

Since Halloween we have been trying to add a funding method to pay for a contract however both PayPal and CreditCard options are still generating errors! 

Whats going wrong? 

IMG_9641.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi There,

I'm sorry of you're having difficulties adding a billing method to your account. I see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a ticket about your concern. Please allow our team 24-48 hours and you will get an update on your ticket here and on your email once your case is thoroughly reviewed. 

~ Arjay
Upwork

The link you provided is broken... 

Paul B Community Member

I added payment method since 2nd November and it's yet to be active. Thought it's meant to be 3 days. What's wrong? 

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Bamigbola,

I checked your account and saw that you haven't filled in your W-8BEN information yet. The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork. For more information, please check this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork
Paul B Community Member

Do you mean if I don't fill my tax information, my withdrawal method won't be activated? 

Because I was told that my withdrawal method will be activated after 3days so what's wrong exactly 

Aisa M Community Member

I am facing this issue even after changing my card ,please fix it

Hi Aisa,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue and have already been assisted by one of our agents. Please feel free to update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
Emma M Community Member

Hi, I am having problems paying my freelancer. It is not my first payment. When I hit "Review Work" , I get a blank page - without the option to Review & Pay (or request changes). I can obviously download & check the work elsewhere, but I cannot pay for the work done.  I've checked a different contract, and I can access this page there. So it is not a problem with my account.  I am paying Fixed Price via Milestones.  Any suggestions, or can you give me directions on how I contact Upwork about this.  Thanks.

Hi Emma,

Weโ€™ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Emma M Community Member

Thank you. 

Jason W Community Member

I have a credit card being declined and want to pay.

I can not find any contact and tried repeatedly to edit the information.

Please someone at Upwork contact me.

Hi Jason,

Weโ€™ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Sara D Community Member

I am trying to add a payment method to hire a freelancer but I am not able to do it.

The message shows:

We are unable to authorize your card as the billing details you entered does not match with your bank or credit card company. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank.
Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Sara,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. Could you please confirm with your bank if they aren't authorizing the transaction? If you're still experiencing the same issue after doing that, please feel free to follow up with us.

~ Luiggi
Miebaka O Community Member

We are unable to authorize your card as the billing details you entered does not match with your bank or credit card company. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank.

Same thing is happening to me. I have contacted my bank and they claim it has been verified from their end.

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Miebaka,

~ Luiggi
Terry H Community Member

My paypal has enough balance and fully verified.

I tried to hire someone with fixed contract, but fund to escrow was failed. So I was unable to send offer.

I checked my paypal, and there was two transactions.

Upwork took out the funds successfully from my paypal, and it was immediately refunded again.

Please help me to fix this issue asap.

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Terry,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this. You may need to add an alternative payment method to your PayPal wallet to add your PayPal account as a payment method on Upwork, as the transaction cannot be completed from our end. Once you've added an alternative payment method, please let us know if the issue continues.

To check which payment source failed on your PayPal account, follow these steps:
  • Go to the "Payments" tab and click "Manage automatic payments."
  • Click on the billing agreement associated with "Upwork Escrow Inc."
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and check what funding source is your backup.
  • Update the backup source to a valid payment method and re-attempt the payment.

If the transaction fails again, the next step is to contact PayPal directly. Specifically, you'll want to talk to a PayPal Tier 2 agent and ask why your transaction to Upwork was declined. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
Terry H Community Member

I already tried, but it didn't work again.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths