🐈
» Forums » Support » Upwork holding $6300 without any reason.
Page options
3a0241ba
Community Member

Upwork holding $6300 without any reason.

Hello all, I'm new to Upwork as a client. Hired a freelancer and paid a total of $6000 so far. But suddenly I got an email stating that I need to verify the identity and answer some of the questions related to contract with proof of work. 

I did everything, I got my identity documents verified by Upwork twice. First when I signed up and second via this current email link 

Upwork did the same with the freelancer but also suspended his account with all the funds available on his account. He also told me today that he was able to verify his identity successfully. 

Upwork still not paying the money to freelancer or not refunding the money back to my credit card ... 

I don't really care if you don't pay to freelancer because he only shared the screen shots of the work but not the actually project files and spice codes etc. 

So I'm left empty with no money and no project files which freelancer definitely won't give me untill he gays paid by upwork. 

It was a fixed price contract with 3 milestones approved by me. 

How on earth Upwork keeps the money like that? Will Upwork refund the money if they decide not to pay freelancer ? Of the money gone? Robbed by upwork.com... 

Upwork team isn't responding anymore from the last 48hours or so I kept emailing them but they don't bother replying at all. 

Ridiculous experience 

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

Ridiculous.

Nothing strange that clients gone.

Keep pinging support. It is slow. Almost no peoples there so can take long time.

ArjayM

I'm sorry to learn about this experience, Abdul Sammad,

I can see that you've sent a follow-up to the support ticket today, and I can confirm that it's been escalated to the appropriate team for further review. Please allow them time, and you will surely get an update on that ticket here once your case has been thoroughly reviewed. Thank you for your patience and utmost understanding.

~ Arjay
Upwork
3a0241ba
Community Member

Hello ArjayM

It's been more than 48hours and no one is responding and resolving the issue. I need all my money back to my credit card asap. You have no right tk hold the money. If you can't pay to freelancer, then refund my money back to my card please. 

Please tell me how long your team will take to resolve this issue? 

I just called Upwork on their helpline and the representative said they can't estimate the time it requires to resolve this issue. She said in any case Upwork will not take funds forever. Either the funds will be paid to freelancer or reversed back to my credit card. 

But this all causing me my business deadlines. I'm gonna lose my Investors for sure if this keeps going for days. 

I need urgent resolution else it may end up destroying my project. 

krishujoshi4077
Community Member

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your transaction on Upwork. There could be multiple reasons for the holdup, such as verification processes, compliance with anti-money laundering regulations, or disputes over deliverables. Here's what you can do:

1. Follow Up: Continue to follow up with Upwork's support team. Given the high amount in question, it's critical to keep the communication lines open. If you are not receiving responses via email, try other methods such as a support ticket through the platform or a direct call if that option is available to you.

2. Escalate the Issue: If you're not receiving the support you need, look for an option to escalate the issue within Upwork's customer support structure. There may be supervisors or higher-level support personnel who can take a closer look at your case.

3. Contract and Terms: Review the terms of the contract to understand the conditions under which the money can be held or refunded. If the freelancer has not delivered the project files as per the contract, mention this when communicating with Upwork.

4. Provide Evidence: Gather all the evidence of your communications and agreements with the freelancer, along with the proof of payment and your identity verification attempts, as these will be useful if Upwork requests them or if you need to prove your case.

5. Dispute Resolution: If necessary, familiarize yourself with Upwork's dispute resolution process. If the freelancer has not delivered the work as agreed, you may be able to use this process to seek a resolution.

6. Patience and Persistence: Be persistent but patient. Remember that these processes may take time, especially when larger amounts and verification processes are involved.

7. Credit Card Company: As a last resort, if you believe you've been charged without receiving the service and Upwork isn't responding, you may contact your credit card company to discuss the situation, understand your rights, and potentially initiate a chargeback.

8. Upwork Community: Engaging with the Upwork Community forums can sometimes provide additional avenues for support, as moderators and other community members may offer advice or assistance.

It's important to understand that Upwork typically holds funds in escrow for fixed-price contracts, with the intention to protect both clients and freelancers. The funds are released based on the agreed-upon milestones and only after you've approved the work. If there's a disagreement about the work quality or delivery, Upwork may hold the funds until the issue is resolved.

It is not in Upwork's interest to withhold funds without reason, and they should not keep the money indefinitely. It can indeed be frustrating not to receive timely responses, but Upwork should address your concerns and resolve this issue in compliance with their terms of service. Keep engaging with them constructively, and carefully document each step as you do.

dataextract
Community Member

So you have paid $6000 so far just by seeing the screenshots? Wow.

Those 48 hours you have mentioned was weekend. So support people were off that time. You will get reply soon. 

Upwork will either allow the amount to freelancer if all their verifications are successful. If not, you will get your money back. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths