🐈
Page options

instant-pay.pngSet up Instant Pay as a withdrawal method

1. Go to Settings and select Get Paid
  2. Select Add Method
  3. Choose your preferred method and select Set Up
  4. Enter your debit card details and click Continue

Here's what you need to know

- Eligible U.S. freelancers with a Visa or Mastercard debit card can get their earnings quickly with Instant Pay.

- For a $2.00 fee per withdrawal, your earnings can be in your bank account within minutes.

- Your new payment method will become active three days after confirming the account for security reasons.

To remove Instant Pay as a withdrawal method

1. Log into your Upwork account and select Settings
  2. Select Get Paid
  3. Select Withdrawal Methods
  4. Select the three dots (...) near your debit card details
  5. Select Remove

Frequently Asked Questions

How is Instant Pay different from when I select “Get Paid Now?”

Get Paid Now is a scheduling tool that allows you to manually override your automatic payment schedule and release your earnings sooner to certain payment methods. Instant Pay is one of those types of payment methods. You can use Instant Pay for either automatic withdrawals or to Get Paid Now.

Why is my debit card not accepted?

Instant Pay settings are largely dependent on your bank. Only eligible Visa and Mastercard debit cards will be accepted. There may be instances where a Visa or Mastercard debit card may be rejected. In those instances, please get in touch with your issuing bank to see if your debit card is eligible and set up for payout.

Is there a limit on how much I can transfer to my bank?

At this time, the maximum amount you can transfer through Instant Pay at one time is $2,999.00 USD.

Are you going to expand Instant Pay to freelancers outside the U.S?

Though Instant Pay is only available in the U.S. currently, Upwork hopes to make it accessible to other countries in the future. Most of these features are dependent upon bank processes.

I signed up for Instant Pay, but it’s not processing my payment automatically every month. Do I have to manually withdraw each time?

To process your payment automatically every month through Instant Pay, you’ll need to first set Instant Pay as your preferred payment method and set your minimum limit. 

1. Go to Settings › Get Paid

2. Click Edit Schedule

3. Set up your schedule as needed

Your balance is only withdrawn automatically when it reaches your set minimum limit by your scheduled withdrawal date. You can set your minimum anywhere from $100 to $1,000. By selecting Get Paid Now, you can take out funds ahead of the automatic schedule at any time (as long as the balance is above $3 USD).

How much does it cost to use Instant Pay?

There is a $2 processing fee for each Instant Pay transaction.

How can I select Instant Pay on a one-time basis?

If you prefer not to set up an automatic schedule, you can set up your Instant Pay as a secondary payment method — that way; you can activate it when you want it.

Why can't I add my U.S. Visa/Mastercard?

When a debit card is added to Upwork for Instant Pay, your bank lets us know whether it can receive these quick payments. Specifically, Upwork's Instant Pay payment method uses Visa's Direct Payment system, and Mastercard Send to disburse funds to debit cards. If your bank does not enable either of these, the card cannot be used for Instant Pay.

To resolve this issue, we suggest contacting your bank and asking them if your debit card is enabled for Instant Pay, Fast Funds, or any related quick pay options. You can also try a different debit card.