🐈
» Forums » Clients » Chase money back
Page options
b18ac6e7
Community Member

Chase money back

Originally, I hired a freelancer for iOS app development on December 18. Initially, we agreed that the task would be completed within 15 hours, and he requested to be paid on an hourly basis. After working the initially agreed 15 hours, he requested an additional 10 hours, bringing the total to 25 hours for which I have paid him. Despite this, the app was not completed. When I wanted to raise a dispute with Upwork, he discouraged me by saying that if I proceeded with the dispute, he would stop working and leave, and I would receive nothing. He argued that he had provided me with the source code, albeit with one bug. Reluctantly, I agreed not to initiate the dispute to avoid him stopping the work and because he expressed his concern about receiving negative feedback and promoise to give me full refund on 30 dec 2023. Consequently, I allowed him to continue working on the app for more than one and a half months. Last week, he promised to issue a refund if he could not provide a solution by February 12, 2024. However, when I requested a refund for my app today, he did not respond. What steps can I take to recover my money?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm really sorry to hear that you had a terrible experience on Upwork. 😞 It can be so frustrating and disappointing when a freelancer doesn't deliver the work as expected or agreed. I totally understand how you feel.

But hey, don't lose hope or give up on Upwork just yet! There are actually so many talented and professional freelancers on the platform who can help you with your projects and goals. You just gotta find the right match for your needs and expectations, you know?

Here are a few tips that might help you in finding and working with good freelancers on Upwork:

- First off, make use of the filters and search features to narrow down your search based on skills, ratings, reviews, location, availability, and budget.

- Take a good look at the freelancer's profile, portfolio, and work history to see if they have the qualifications, experience, and feedback that match your requirements.

- Consider inviting or interviewing the freelancers who catch your interest, and make sure to discuss all the project details, scope, deliverables, timeline, and payment terms.

- To protect your funds and ensure the quality of work, make use of Upwork's contracts, milestones, and escrow system. It's a great way to feel secure about your investment.

- Communication is key! Stay in regular contact with your freelancer and provide clear and constructive feedback along the way.

- And finally, once the project is completed, don't forget to leave an honest and fair review for the freelancer. It helps the entire Upwork community.

I hope these tips will help you have a better experience on Upwork in the future. And hey, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. 😊

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
83dfb73d
Community Member

I'm really sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with the freelancer. 😞

So, here's the deal. According to my web search, there are a few options you can try to get your money back from Upwork. It all depends on the type of contract, payment method, and timeframe of the transaction. Here are some steps you can take:

- If you have a fixed-price contract and the funds are still in escrow, you can request an escrow refund by ending the contract. When you do that, choose the option "Pay nothing and request a refund" or "Pay another amount". Easy peasy, right? 😉

- Now, let's say you have an hourly contract and you're not happy with the work quality or the time logged. No worries! You can file a dispute within the five-day review period. Just make sure to do it between Monday at noon UTC after the billing period ends and Friday 23:59 UTC. Got it?

- But hey, what if you've already released the funds to the freelancer? Don't panic! You can still request a refund. Head over to Jobs > My Jobs and click on "Request a refund" from the (...) menu. Keep in mind, though, it's up to the freelancer or agency to decide if they'll issue the refund or not. Fingers crossed! 🤞

- If the freelancer or agency agrees to give you a refund, the amount will be credited back to your billing method right away. Just remember, it might take 3-5 business days for the credit to show up. Patience is key!

- Now, if the freelancer or agency refuses to give you a refund or simply ignores your request, it's time to seek help from Upwork's customer support. Reach out to them and explain your situation. They might be able to assist you or even escalate the case to arbitration. Help is on the way!

One important thing to remember: These steps I mentioned are based on the info I found on Upwork's website. They're not a guaranteed solution, so make sure to double-check with Upwork and the freelancer or agency before taking any action. Oh, and don't even think about issuing or accepting refunds outside of Upwork's platform. That's a big no-no and can put you at risk of fraud or scams. Stay safe out there! 😊

I really hope this helps you find a way to get your money back. Hang in there!

Thanks, I have a terrible experience in using upwork. Not just wasting my money and time. I also lost trust to the freelancer.

I'm really sorry to hear that you had a terrible experience on Upwork. 😞 It can be so frustrating and disappointing when a freelancer doesn't deliver the work as expected or agreed. I totally understand how you feel.

But hey, don't lose hope or give up on Upwork just yet! There are actually so many talented and professional freelancers on the platform who can help you with your projects and goals. You just gotta find the right match for your needs and expectations, you know?

Here are a few tips that might help you in finding and working with good freelancers on Upwork:

- First off, make use of the filters and search features to narrow down your search based on skills, ratings, reviews, location, availability, and budget.

- Take a good look at the freelancer's profile, portfolio, and work history to see if they have the qualifications, experience, and feedback that match your requirements.

- Consider inviting or interviewing the freelancers who catch your interest, and make sure to discuss all the project details, scope, deliverables, timeline, and payment terms.

- To protect your funds and ensure the quality of work, make use of Upwork's contracts, milestones, and escrow system. It's a great way to feel secure about your investment.

- Communication is key! Stay in regular contact with your freelancer and provide clear and constructive feedback along the way.

- And finally, once the project is completed, don't forget to leave an honest and fair review for the freelancer. It helps the entire Upwork community.

I hope these tips will help you have a better experience on Upwork in the future. And hey, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. 😊

b18ac6e7
Community Member

Thanks for your information, I appreciated that. 🙂

No problem at all! I'm here to assist. 😊

Anything else I can assist you with?

I havent received the reply from upwork

yofazza
Community Member

Douglas, you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't allow someone you don't know access to charge your card. You should have limited the hours to 1 and seen if you could trust the freelancer before allowing them to work more.  You should even do this with more than one freelancer, to find the best before proceeding.

This place is infested with spammers, scammers, and the no-skills. Also beware of text pasted from ChatGPT, you can get them yourself by going to openai.com.

What steps can I take to recover my money?

It's too long ago. There's another institution that should help you if you feel scammed.

b18ac6e7
Community Member

which institution i can find ?

b18ac6e7
Community Member

It already passed the dispute period, no one response me, what can i do ?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Doulas,

I see that you've been in contact with the team handling your case and the support ticket is still active. We suggest you update your ticket on this page or your email if you need clarifications or further assistance; the team will surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork

I was scammed by a freelancer from Belgrade, Serbia. Initially, I planned to hire him on a fixed-amount contract, but he suggested switching to an hourly basis, claiming it was recommended by Upwork. The original deadline for the work was December 2023. I had intended to raise a dispute, but the freelancer promised to deliver the work by the end of December. He also assured me of a refund if he failed to meet the deadline. However, 10 days ago, he stopped responding and set his status to private. I attempted to find a mediator to resolve the issue without success. Can anyone share their experience with reporting such a case to the police in Belgrade, Serbia or suggest other way to get back the money.?

Police is single way. Upwork won't cover that because hourly contract running. 

I have no practice with such international claims but saw that it is not easy.

Try to contact freelancer, maybe sick or so.

b18ac6e7
Community Member

Do you think I should disclose his information and let everyone knows ?

b18ac6e7
Community Member

I paid the hourly salary and received nothing. So frustrated.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths