🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Demanding refund from freelancer
Page options
4274489f
Community Member

Demanding refund from freelancer

Hi,

I had hired a freelancer to work on a project, he said he had completed it succesfully and wanted the payment, he assured me it was a great project and he did everything as told, I was in work at this point so could not fully open what he had sent me so I truested him and sent the payment.

After a few days I went back to the project to open, I see the whole project is a mess it is not what I had asked him to do and is a total nightmare I had messaged him nicely asked questions and no response whatsoever he is offline also and will not respond to me. I understand sometimes people take on things they can not complete but at least respond and explain sorry I could not do it 100% etc we are all people!! But I am very angry he has left me like this with no response and just took my money and I had given him a great review too.! this is very irresponsible and rude and I or anyone would not appreciate this. I have demanded a refund from him but still nothing, I'm not sure how to go about this now? how can I bring this further, no one needs more stress these days with everthing going on in our lives. 

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Sophia T wrote:

I had given him a great review too.!

Why did you leave any review without even looking at the work??

Sophia T wrote:

I'm not sure how to go about this now? how can I bring this further,

How much money are we talking about?

Sophia T wrote:

no one needs more stress these days with everthing going on in our lives. 

Well, the least stressful way forward would be to forget this freelancer and just hire someone else.

This may not be practical if you paid thousands, but if that were the case I'd have thought you'd have bothered to look at the material before releasing funds and leaving a glowing review.

You *can* dispute the payment if you released the milestone 30 or less days ago, but the fact that you had ample opportunity to check the work and left great feedback makes it look like a lack of project management.

When a freelancer submits work, you have 14 days to thoroughly check and test the work and request any changes if need be. Releasing the money is a client's way of saying "Yes, everything is as it should be, Thank you!"

4274489f
Community Member

I know that was my mistake for not checking once he sent it but as I said I was in work at the time so did not have the programs on the work pc to open the files. We communicated for weeks before so I though he understood everything, and trusted him obviously I was wrong. It does not make it right for him to not communicate with me right now, all of a sudden? obviously he know he is in the wrong now if he had messaged me I'm sorry I couldnt do it or even chatted with me I would understand but this is unacceptable at so many levels 

I had hired him for 40dollars, It does not matter if it was 400  when you trust someone to do your work you are responsible throughout the end but obviosuly some people are just ignorant 🙂 and rude

petra_r
Community Member

Sophia T wrote:

... obviosuly some people are just ignorant 🙂 and rude

Yes, they are. As it was such a small amount, just move on to a better freelancer. As you said, life is stressful enough. Trying to dispute over $40 you willingly paid and left great feedback for is certainly more stress than $40 worth.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sophia,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. We'll have one of our team members reach out to you directly to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths