🐈
» Forums » Clients » Estimate of budget
Page options
8f51dc45
Community Member

Estimate of budget

Hello. Thank you for any help you can provide. As a new Upwork client I do not know how to handle the following scenario. When I open up a new job, I am asked for my "budget" and it will not allow me to move forward without putting a dollar figure into the box. My question is if I have no idea what a project will take to complete in either time and/or budget what is expected by freelancers? For my first job I put in $5 (the minimum that Upwork will allow) and explained in the job description that this was just until I knew what someone would estimate to do the job. Is this the right way to handle this? Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Neil:

You are talking about one of the biggest areas of complaint that Upwork clients AND freelancers have:

Requiring clients to specify a budget for fixed-price job postings, when they may have no idea what they should say.

re: "For my first job I put in $5 (the minimum that Upwork will allow) and explained in the job description that this was just until I knew what someone would estimate to do the job. Is this the right way to handle this?"

That is how MANY clients handle it.

This works. BUT: There are many freelancers who apply filters in their job search or job display interface, so that they require a minimum dollar amount. If you specify $5.00, some good freelancers may never see your job.

If it was me personally, I would put a higher number, guessing SOMETHING, but I would I would also state at the top of my job posting that the number is a placeholder and that I will not consider proposals from freelancers who re-state my number exactly.

(I might still look at such proposals... But I want to encourage freelancers who bid on my job to think about it on their own... and provide me with a custom number if possible.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Neil:

You are talking about one of the biggest areas of complaint that Upwork clients AND freelancers have:

Requiring clients to specify a budget for fixed-price job postings, when they may have no idea what they should say.

re: "For my first job I put in $5 (the minimum that Upwork will allow) and explained in the job description that this was just until I knew what someone would estimate to do the job. Is this the right way to handle this?"

That is how MANY clients handle it.

This works. BUT: There are many freelancers who apply filters in their job search or job display interface, so that they require a minimum dollar amount. If you specify $5.00, some good freelancers may never see your job.

If it was me personally, I would put a higher number, guessing SOMETHING, but I would I would also state at the top of my job posting that the number is a placeholder and that I will not consider proposals from freelancers who re-state my number exactly.

(I might still look at such proposals... But I want to encourage freelancers who bid on my job to think about it on their own... and provide me with a custom number if possible.)

hoyle_editing
Community Member

As preston has mentioned, using that tactic may mean you dont get seen by some freelancers - Personally, if i see $5 jobs i flag them as 'unrealistic expectations or budget to low' so i dont have to see them again. Having said that, if i happen to see that it is a placeholder i MAY look at the job further. 

With all that said, i do think its better to try and make an estimate if at all possible, even a higher dollar figure as a placeholder will likely get you more views depending on the actual size of the project.

If you're really stuck on the budget... then just post the job as an hourly contract.

With hourly contracts, you don't need to specify a budget.

It is fine for clients to hire a freelancer using an hourly contract and then later change to using fixed-price contracts. After working on a project, a freelancer will have a better understanding of the client's needs, and may well be able to provide accurate fixed-price quotes. Many freelancers (but not all) are flexible about contract types and will work on both hourly and fixed-price contracts.

Hello Preston and Jonathan! Thank you both for your insightful views on how to handle the budgeting question I asked. Being fairly intuitive, when I'm new at something and struggle, I find it frustrating not to have some sages-on-the-side to help out. Your input was truly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths