🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Free lancer apparentyly refusing to retur...
Page options
Community Member

Free lancer apparentyly refusing to return a USB stick

Hello,

I have been having a few problems with a free lancer - taking a long time over a job, misunderstanding my instructions and I have asked him several times to return the USB  stick I sent the files to him on - he said he was going to return them back on the 2/6 and then recently on the 14/6 - I asked for confirmation that he was going to send it by recorded delivery  - but silence - any advice?

10 REPLIES 10
jr-translation
Community Member

Geoff W wrote:

Hello,

I have been having a few problems with a free lancer - taking a long time over a job, misunderstanding my instructions and I have asked him several times to return the USB  stick I sent the files to him on - he said he was going to return them back on the 2/6 and then recently on the 14/6 - I asked for confirmation that he was going to send it by recorded delivery  - but silence - any advice?

Move on and mention it in feedback. You will probably not see it again.

'Move on and mention it in feedback' - are you suggesting i let the freelancer keep the USB that has files of my work on it ... what would mentioning it in feedback accomplish?

Hi Geoff,

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you've had. Our team will reach out to you directly via ticket and email as soon as possible and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you Goran ...

Geoff W wrote:

'Move on and mention it in feedback' - are you suggesting i let the freelancer keep the USB that has files of my work on it ... what would mentioning it in feedback accomplish?

A thumb drive is not too expensive an can be easily replaced. I would expect you have a backup of the files you have shared. So what are your worries? What different would it make? He can have copied the files, so he has them even after returning the thumb drive. Next time use a different method if you do not want to risk losing the thumb drive along the way.

Mentioning the issue in the feedback could warn other clients, but you would not gain anything from it. That is why I wrote: move on. It just is not worth it.

I haven't released payment yet for the work - how do I stop the payment 'in escrow' until I recieve the USB in the post?

Speaking generally and not about any particular situation:

When someone uses a USB thumb drive as a means of sending files to someone, it is understood that the purpose is to provide digital files. There is no expectation that the physical drive itself will be returned.

If a person expects the drive returned, he includes a pre-labeled, pre-paid envelope such as can be generated through his Fed-Ex account.

What matters is the work that a freelancer is hired to do, not a USB flash drive.

Thank you for responding - there is an expectation when the free lancer agrees to return ther USB stick at least twice - saying they were going to post it that day and didn't

The last time the freelancer said he would send the USB flash drive was June 14, which was four days ago.

We need to figure out what is going on. We can help you figure out what is happening and what to do next, but we need more information.

Where do you live?
Where does the freelancer live?

How much money is in escrow right now?
How much money have you released already to this freelancer?

Aside from returning the USB flash drive, is there anything else that the freelancer was hired to do that has not been completed and provided to you?

Hello Preston,

Thank you for taking an interest - a member of Upwork staff  from Executive Escalations is going to contact the freelancer and ask him to send the USB as agreed by recorded delivery.

That should hopefully settle that issue.

Thank you

Geoff

Latest Articles
Learning Paths