🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Going as Anonymous client, mean 100%
Page options
9e46d9e4
Community Member

Going as Anonymous client, mean 100%

Hi

Is it possible to become Anonymous client  on UpWork ? After reading all posts it's still not clear.

It's Dec 2021, I'm a  reputable client  for 4 years with 5 jobs, didn't have any troulbes,  and checking if I can go completely go  like Jane Dow to hire somebody for my private reasons.

I"m not talking about Private profile, when nobody can see you , but now looks like if you will need to hire somebody you need to go public. Not sure how lancer get their pair, I hope that don't have  client name in payment details. In my case it's PayPal.

I didn't see this option anywhere in Profile,  in fact you can not edit your profile, even can not delte photo now (as of 2021). I see that having so many millions clients and lancers it's clear that Upwork need to enforce many securiyt rules, I assume that now everybody need to use its real name, and probably photo for contract binding.  But  I htink going into complete stealth mode could boost biz here,  I personlaly would prefer to do so.

I know that your identity is hidden on bidding stage, but when you hire somebody, this person has your real name and can get all details.

Thanks much  + Happy Holidays

J

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

Jian W wrote:

Is it possible to become Anonymous client  on UpWork ?

No, and that is a good thing. Freelancers need to have proper paperwork showing where their money is coming from. They can't tell the taxman or the authorities that some anonymous person on the Internet sent them money...

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Terrible idea. There is too little information about clients available as it is. I would never apply to a job post if I didn't know where the client is located (availabilty for questions), his prior total spent, his prior feedback, and very importantly, his hiring rate. 

roberty1y
Community Member

Sounds like a money launderer's dream come true, so it's not going to happen.

Hi Robert and all,

I did prefessional consultation and there is NO any wrongdoing  from IRS side or/and General Accounting Rules at least in Oregon, USA.  I am as a rep of UpWork  can go under alias name, all  true transaction history along with my true identity is available from UWork which is listed as payer to Client.

J

prestonhunter
Community Member

There are simple ways to hire anonymously.

You could hire a project manager, and then have that project manager do your hiring for you. Similarly, you could have one of your business partners do the hiring on Upwork.

Many of the clients I work for on Upwork are not the project owner or company owner, but are actually intermediaries, including project managers.

You can also use any name for your company name. You don't need to use your real company name.

re: "even can not delete photo now (as of 2021)"

As a client's, you may replace your profile photo with a company logo or an image file representing your company.

You may create a new account for your client company. You are not limited to one company account. You can create a new account with a new name and no profile photo.

Preston, she can't create a new account (at best she could add a new client profile in the same account) without violating the terms of service and the OP's own name would continue to be the "person" the messages are sent from.

Even in a client account, the contact info must be true. Surely you are not suggesting the OP should lie and violate the terms of service?

re: "she can't create a new account (at best she could add a new client profile in the same account)"

Yes, that is what we are referring to.

Upwork's wording can be confusing, but they refer to these as "client accounts". A user may have more than one within a single Upwork login account.

A single person may also have hiring privileges associated with more than one company, and more than one company-based Upwork account.

re: "Even in a client account, the contact info must be true. Surely you are not suggesting the OP should lie and violate the terms of service?"

That is correct.

Nothing I suggested violates Upwork Terms of Service.

As a freelancer, I currently have clients whose names and identities I don't know, because they use Upwork-allowed methods for maintaining anonymity.

Preston H wrote:

re: "she can't create a new account (at best she could add a new client profile in the same account)"

Upwork's wording can be confusing.

You may want to be more careful that your own wording is not very misleading. I'm pretty sure that you know fully well how the advice to "create a new account" (without a single word of clarification) would be perceived by a person who doesn't know the rules inside out.

Petra R wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Upwork's wording can be confusing.

You may want to be more careful that your own wording is not very misleading. I'm pretty sure that you know fully well how the advice to "create a new account" (without a single word of clarification) would be perceived by a person who doesn't know the rules inside out.

Come on, the OP would only be 12,654th person to complain: "I had 2(or 3) accounts and now I've none!"

9e46d9e4
Community Member

Thanks  Preston  and all for valiable info and  ideas.

Thansk Robert for scaring me, Didn't thing about money laundering, it's pretty seriouse so it's all clear from stanpoint of UW.

However I  heard stories when other party does some bad things to client, pieceing together some personal and project /geo/etc.. details.  I think Client has to sign some agreement do not share details with others, kinda of non disclosure agreement. Is it true ?  

BTW I have 2  identical account after Uwork merged with ... forgot Odesk?  I asked them to clear but it's still not done, overall navigation here is bit tricky.

But having so big audience on both sides here I agree that it's better enforce eveything as hard as we could.

Re. Petra comment

<Freelancers need to have proper paperwork showing where their money is coming from>

Do you think freelancer can see all details of your transaction ? Upwork cut their 10% so I assume that they put their name as a payer ?  I hope that that lancer doesn't recieve email saying  < your got money from my PayPal account with all addresses etc...> it's very scary..

J

petra_r
Community Member

Jian W wrote:

Do you think freelancer can see all details of your transaction ? Upwork cut their 10% so I assume that they put their name as a payer ?  I 

No, of course not. Contracts are between the freelancer and the client. 

Freelancers don't see your PayPal or the address etc.

re: "Do you think freelancer can see all details of your transaction?"

A freelancer does not even have any way of knowing HOW you paid.

Mastercard?
Visa?
PayPal?
American Express?
Check?

Freelancer doesn't even know that much.

Money comes to freelancers from an Upwork account.

So freelancers don't have transaction details.

9e46d9e4
Community Member

and looks like there is not way to remove photo for client.... I found info how to change avatar, is that the same thing?

Tx all

re: "and looks like there is not way to remove photo for client.... I found info how to change avatar, is that the same thing?"

Clients are allowed multiple options:

- a photo of themself

- an image file with the company logo, or an image file representing the company

- no profile photo at all (blank)

If you have trouble setting your profile photo to your preferrred option, you may need to get help from Upwork Customer Support. The client-side controls for setting the profile photo are a little incomplete right now.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths