🐈
» Forums » Clients » Help understanding what notice is given to fr...
Page options
287cbcd0
Community Member

Help understanding what notice is given to freelancers who applied but were not hired

I recently posted my first job and sent an offer to one of the applicants. In the job offer I selected the option that I am only hiring one applicant and not looking for more proposals. 

If the freelancer accepts the job offer, are all the other applicants automatically notified by Upwork that the job has been filled? I'm assuming so, but I wasn't able to find anything about this in the Help section. Sorry if I missed it. Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have had potential clients notify me of their decision not to hire me, but it is usually clients that I have talked with at least once. It would be nice if the clients would do so, but I can't expect clients to spend time notifying everyone who applied. I realize even a few messages are more than you have to do. I think it is great if you have been communicating with a couple of people if you want to message them, but I do not expect it. It has been a pleasant surprise when I receive a courtesy message.

Yes, the client is the one who can close the job, either after hiring or deciding not to hire at all. The benefit to the freelancers is that they will not waste time crafting a proposal for a project when it is already filled or the client is not hiring for whatever reason. You can close the job as soon as you hire someone or decide not to hire.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
the-right-writer
Community Member

Freelancers are not notified of hiring. They must go back to the job listing to see if the client is hired, unless they close the job.

Yeah, its a bit disappointing. But its no different than IRL.

Thanks, Jeanne! So is it any sort of professional practice to go back and message all the other applicants that I hired someone for the job? I feel the need to be respectful of the freelancers' time that they took to apply, but that's also several messages I would need to send (even if it's just a copy and paste). 

And when you say "unless they close the job," are you referring to me closing the job? Is that something I do once I've hired someone, or does the job stay open until my contract with the hired freelancer has come to an end? Thanks for your guidance!

I have had potential clients notify me of their decision not to hire me, but it is usually clients that I have talked with at least once. It would be nice if the clients would do so, but I can't expect clients to spend time notifying everyone who applied. I realize even a few messages are more than you have to do. I think it is great if you have been communicating with a couple of people if you want to message them, but I do not expect it. It has been a pleasant surprise when I receive a courtesy message.

Yes, the client is the one who can close the job, either after hiring or deciding not to hire at all. The benefit to the freelancers is that they will not waste time crafting a proposal for a project when it is already filled or the client is not hiring for whatever reason. You can close the job as soon as you hire someone or decide not to hire.

Jeanne H wrote:

Not to be confused with closing the contract(s) resulting from the hire(s).

Thanks, Jonathan. Appreciate your insights on this. 

Thank you, Jeanne! Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths