🐈
» Forums » Clients » Im being threatened
Page options
09f042aa
Community Member

Im being threatened

I felt as if I was being scammed by the freelancer because she (*** Edited for Community Guidelines ***) kept requesting more and more money even though that was not the agreed price and I had yet to see the product so I requested a refund (Which I haven't got most of the money back) and now she is gmailing me telling me to pay her or she will release my personal information online. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "now she is gmailing me telling me to pay her or she will release my personal information online."

I don't know the details about what kind of work she was doing for you. So I don't know what kind of "pesonal information" she is threatening to release.

If you are simply talking about information she obtained from Upwork... there is none. Client's job posts do not contain any personal information about the client. She can see your name. Maybe the city you live in. That's it, really. Anything else is just related to your past Upwork hiring.

If you're talking about OTHER information, I would make two points, and this isn't meant to minimize the really atrocious behavior of this freelancer, but it is meant to put your mind at ease:

Point 1: The information she has that she is threatening to release online... Are you sure this information isn't ALREADY online? It might be information that people could Google or find in other ways already. So this isn't much of a threat.

Point 2: Think this through all the way... What is she really capable of doing? Posting some information on a blog somewhere? Putting it on a server? It's not okay to do that, but what happens then? Is CNN or Fox News going to run a story on you? If you're not a celebrity or newsworthy, then no, they're not. If you're just a regular person doing regular things, then nothing she can do with your personal information is going to have any impact on your life.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Wow.

Hardly know what to say about that. That's pretty bad.

I would not be surprised if a Forum Moderator (an actual Upwork employee) intercedes here and puts you into contact with the support team. They may want to know more details so they can help you as much as possible and kick this rogue freelancer of the platform.

If you want to get things started even sooner, you should create a help desk ticket.

Also, you should be able to navigate to the freelancer's profile page and click the "Flag as inappropriate" button where you'll be provided with some options and even a text box in which you could add some notes.

re: "now she is gmailing me telling me to pay her or she will release my personal information online."

I don't know the details about what kind of work she was doing for you. So I don't know what kind of "pesonal information" she is threatening to release.

If you are simply talking about information she obtained from Upwork... there is none. Client's job posts do not contain any personal information about the client. She can see your name. Maybe the city you live in. That's it, really. Anything else is just related to your past Upwork hiring.

If you're talking about OTHER information, I would make two points, and this isn't meant to minimize the really atrocious behavior of this freelancer, but it is meant to put your mind at ease:

Point 1: The information she has that she is threatening to release online... Are you sure this information isn't ALREADY online? It might be information that people could Google or find in other ways already. So this isn't much of a threat.

Point 2: Think this through all the way... What is she really capable of doing? Posting some information on a blog somewhere? Putting it on a server? It's not okay to do that, but what happens then? Is CNN or Fox News going to run a story on you? If you're not a celebrity or newsworthy, then no, they're not. If you're just a regular person doing regular things, then nothing she can do with your personal information is going to have any impact on your life.

Thank you so much!

Wow Great Solution Answer 

Actually, in Upwork world you are the king.  You can reply back that you will report her (and what you are saying is true then most likely Upwork will suspend her) and leave a feedback that she can never dig out of.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths