🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Owner of illustustrations
Page options
f18241aa
Community Member

Owner of illustustrations

Hello, 

I am a client seeking an illustrator.  Once I purchase the work - who owns them?  In reading your terms I believe I do. Is this correct?   

Is it againstyupwork's  policy to have the illustrator sign a document, obtained from your community, which states I own 100% of the and will use it as I see fit.  Yes, they will be use in the book. I am also acknowledging them in and on the book.

2- My book is dependent on facial gestures of the character.  In keeping with your policy may I request 3 gestures (sad, happy, you finally got it)  to be drawn at a nominal price of $5 total so I can see if they can accomplish this task?  It would be on an animal of their choice.  Thank you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am a client seeking an illustrator. Once I purchase the work - who owns them?"

The client owns all rights to work he pays a freelancer to create.

re: "In reading your terms I believe I do. Is this correct?"

That is correct.

re: "Is it againstyupwork's policy to have the illustrator sign a document, obtained from your community, which states I own 100% of the and will use it as I see fit."

That is perfectly fine.

Completely unnecessary.

Because that is the default contract language when you hire a freelancer on Upwork.

But it is totally fine if you have a freelancer sign an additional contract.

re: "My book is dependent on facial gestures of the character. In keeping with your policy may I request 3 gestures (sad, happy, you finally got it) to be drawn at a nominal price of $5 total so I can see if they can accomplish this task?"

Yes, that is fine.

Obviously if this work is important, you don't hire just one person.

You hire multiple people to test their suitability for the project, and then continue working with the one freelancer (or multiple freelancers) whose work you like the most.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am a client seeking an illustrator. Once I purchase the work - who owns them?"

The client owns all rights to work he pays a freelancer to create.

re: "In reading your terms I believe I do. Is this correct?"

That is correct.

re: "Is it againstyupwork's policy to have the illustrator sign a document, obtained from your community, which states I own 100% of the and will use it as I see fit."

That is perfectly fine.

Completely unnecessary.

Because that is the default contract language when you hire a freelancer on Upwork.

But it is totally fine if you have a freelancer sign an additional contract.

re: "My book is dependent on facial gestures of the character. In keeping with your policy may I request 3 gestures (sad, happy, you finally got it) to be drawn at a nominal price of $5 total so I can see if they can accomplish this task?"

Yes, that is fine.

Obviously if this work is important, you don't hire just one person.

You hire multiple people to test their suitability for the project, and then continue working with the one freelancer (or multiple freelancers) whose work you like the most.

bobafett999
Community Member

That is legally fine.  However, don't expect proposals from real talent for a total fee of $5.

Put yourself in their shoes.  They have to pay for the connects, pay upwork commision and exchange conversion fees.  They may net $3 - $4.  You could be genuine or just wants to 'use' their ideas.  Good Luck!

Thank you. I didn't realize they had all these fees to pay.  I am used to dealing direct with the person.  However, I need to determinine if they can acturally convey the information I am looking for.  This particuar book is driven by the expressions of the character and their body language.  What would you say is a reasonable price for 3 pencil sketched, no color sketch is facial expressions of an animal, if it's not in their portfolio.  Two dots and a half c is hard to make a decision on.   I'm not looking to steal their work just to determine if they can do the work.  It's like 6 canditates who gaduate from law school.  Not everyone can debate a case.  Thanks again.

You don't need to try to figure out a "fair price."

Simply test candidates using an hourly contract. Limit each contact to one hour. (You have a button for that.) Ask candidates to spend no more than twenty minutes on the test task. Hire six people. Review their work. Hire the best to complete the project.

a_lipsey
Community Member

This is also a tactic that clients use to steal and not properly or fully pay for work done by freelancers. I think you would need to ask them for ONE sample, not three (sounds like you are trying to get nearly free work, and if you get it from numerous freelancers, well then you'll come in under budget won't you), ONE from each and may them a reasonable rate, not $5. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths