🐈
» Forums » Clients » TOS Communication
Page options
worthcomm
Community Member

TOS Communication

Are clients informed of the new new terms of service regarding communicating outside the Upwork platform before a contract has begun?

More than half of the recent responses to my proposals I've received lately have asked me to communicate via email or cell phone.

I have always responded by restating the TOS and asked them to use one of the Upwork channels instead. This is not the most customer-friendly approach to take when trying to engage a new client.

Since this is Upwork's requirement, could Upwork remind clients as they repond to proposals what the rules of communication are? 

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Are clients informed?
Yes.

But the real answer to your question is:
It doesn't matter.

There is a lot of text. Lots of things to read. Lots of rules. Lots of boilerplate. Lots of things to acknowledge. Clients just want to get things done. Clients did not come here to take a college course in Upwork rules.

So the truth is: Clients have not read or memorized everything that they were supposed to read and understand. You haven't either. Maybe you bought something from an online store and there's a disclaimer page somewhere that says you can't wear a hat on Thursdays. You don't know.

So is it always going to be your responsibility - as a freelancer - to inform clients about policies and things they should know about?

Yes.

No matter what Upwork ever does, this will always be the case.

I agree with everything you are saying.

But Upwork has (and will continue to) ensured that we  freelancers understand and abide by the rule. They should be able to highlight this on the client side as well.

lysis10
Community Member

Scott E W wrote:

Are clients informed of the new new terms of service regarding communicating outside the Upwork platform before a contract has begun?

More than half of the recent responses to my proposals I've received lately have asked me to communicate via email or cell phone.

I have always responded by restating the TOS and asked them to use one of the Upwork channels instead. This is not the most customer-friendly approach to take when trying to engage a new client.

Since this is Upwork's requirement, could Upwork remind clients as they repond to proposals what the rules of communication are? 

There is a bot message that gets posted to the chat room when they post contact info, so I'd say "yes" but sometimes it doesn't trigger so you have to just tell them that any voice (well I guess chat too) calls have to be on the platform. It's not well received but not much you can do other than apologize and agree it sucks.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths