cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork has paid the freelancer without my consent

Mark L Member Since: Aug 6, 2017
11 of 20

The problem is that she completed her work over one months late. If she had completed her work as agreed before she started the contract, I wouldn't have left on holiday. Furthermore, she said she is fine with waiting for three weeks.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
12 of 20

@Mark L wrote:

I hired a freelancer to do a job. Upwork paid two milestones to the freelancer without asking me, or consulting me, two weeks after the freelancer submitted her work. The third milestone was also the last. I am not happy with the completed work by the freelancer, but since upwork paid the freelancer, she doesn't care.

When she submitted her work, I told her I was going away for three weeks on holiday and wouldn't be able to check the work and pay her. She was ok with it. But when I returned from my holiday the milestone had already been paid.

What can I do? How can I get back the money from upwork? It should be put back into the milestone, until I am happy with the result.

I can't claim credit card fraud, because it has been almost two months since I financed the milestone. So, what can I do?

I feel I have been defrauded by upwork. I opened a ticket, but of course no reply. Smiley Sad

This bothers me.

Would you have considered "credit card fraud" to get your money back if less than two months had passed, or would you still consider it if you don't get your money back in any other way? To me it looks that you will simply (falsely) claim fraud if you don't get your way, so please tell me I'm wrong about this. 

Mark L Member Since: Aug 6, 2017
13 of 20

Upwork paid someone without my consent. If I put the money in a milestone it doesn't mean it should directly be wired to the freelancer, without my consent. That's why it's called "milestone" and not "pay". I consider this credit card fraud.

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
14 of 20

@Mark L wrote:

Upwork paid someone without my consent. If I put the money in a milestone it doesn't mean it should directly be wired to the freelancer, without my consent. That's why it's called "milestone" and not "pay". I consider this credit card fraud.

Maybe you should start reading up on what will actually happen when you are entering your credit card information on some website. If you had done that before funding a milestone here, you would know that the funds would be released to the freelancer 2 weeks after they requsted it, unless you ask for revisions.

Even if you could still request a chargeback (don't know what the timelimit is for that where you are from), no way you would win on this one. Sorry, but this is not credit card fraud. I would rather say that you would be the one attempting fraud by filing a chargeback request.

15 of 20

I am still curious as to where it says that the freelancer will be paid 2 weeks after they requsted it. I haven't seen it on the page where I pay the milestone. Where is it?

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
16 of 20

You can see it in Fixed-Price Escrow instructions. 

"If Freelancer submits a Release request and client does not take any action for 14 days from the date of the Release request, Freelancer and Client agree that Upwork Escrow is authorized and irrevocably instructed to immediately release to Freelancer the amount related to the milestone with Release request."

17 of 20

1. It doesn't say what action the client has to take. I did take an action. I told the freelancer she would have to wait for 3 weeks.

2. How would I know that the freelancer submitted a "Release request", since I was not informed of this? All I received was a message stating "

Milestone 3: "3rd"

Amount in escrow: $200.00

"

It doesn't say anywhere that this is a "Release request"

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
18 of 20

Mark, 

You may check out about the details of paying for fixed-price contracts hereWhen your freelancer submits work, you may approve and release escrow funds for that milestone OR you may request changes. If you are not satisfied with the work your freelancer submitted, you may click on "Request changes" and add details of the changes you want made on the Message Window. 

Please take note that it is also noted on this page that you have 14-days to request for changes. 

You may want to check out the client section of the resources we compiled here to help you understand how the platform works.

3 Request for changes.png

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
19 of 20

@Mark L wrote:

Credit card fraud would be if UW were to charge money without your knowledge or previously expressed consent.  That is not the case here.  You knowingly deposited the amount into escrow.  At that point, your credit card no longer has anything to do with the transaction in any way, shape, or form and to claim fraud would actually be you defrauding the CC company with a false claim.

You stated that the freelancer completed the work (albeit late).  Also, that they apparently submitted said work and received the milestone amount for their work after the 14-day window for review had passed.   All of this progresses precisely the way the system is intended to work.  I'm honestly not sure how your freelancer, or UpWork, are in the wrong here.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
20 of 20

It continues to amaze me regarding the # of people (Freelancers AND Clients) that don't review enough or in some cases any content within "Help and Support" and this Community prior to utilizing Upwork and then become challenged when things go wrong or don't go their way.  Really!!!???  Well...DUH!  That's not professional for me to state, but in not operating intelligently they're not being professional either.  I just couldn't help myself---me bad.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS