Page options
dmwdsprimealpha
Community Member

Upwork's feedback system

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hglewis
Community Member

Hello Daniel,

To protect yourself and your daughter's freelancing future, become incredibly familiar with Upwork's Legal Center documentation. Much has changed over the years.

https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms

Carefully read through the User Agreement; it is very specific about eligibility and extremely concise.

Hopefully, when your daughter does get her laptop back, she can continue moving forward as a freelancer.

Remember, you'll look back on this time and kick yourself.

I should know, I have five grown children and eight grandchildren.

If I knew then, what I know now, I'd done things differently.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
petra_r
Community Member

Daniel R wrote:

Recently i have become aware of the Upwork's feedback system where You can't hire relatives on upwork.

How is it manipulating Upwork's feedback system when you never  left feed back ??

You were caught before you had the chance.

It's manipulation and cheating. Even without a feedback a profile with a contract has a better chance than one without.

I am at a complete loss as to how you can't see how utterly unacceptable this kind of behaviour is.

Caught doing what My daughter canceled the hourly contract on her end. no feed back nothing. as stated : Their was no cheating involved! I was teaching her how to use upwork. as scammers were trying to have her pay $$ for security deposits and not sending her a job request to accept all i did was send her one to show her how the process works. We never left a feedback and I had her cancel from her end with no feed back

prestonhunter
Community Member

That's correct:
It is not Upwork's intention that their system be used to hire relatives or friends.

This has nothing to do with what computer a person is using.

Thank you for sharing your first-hand description of what happened.

This has nothing to do with what type of feedback you leave somebody.

To be very clear:
If you want to hire a relative or friend you already know (not somebody you met on Upwork), then go ahead and hire that person NOT USING Upwork. Don't let anything about that relationship come into contact with Upwork.

You can't hire your own daughter/spouse/brother/cousin on Upwork.

Upwork actively monitors for such as that, using automated algorithms and human investigation. Upwork will indeed take punative action against the people involved, including suspension, freezing of funds, and termination. This is not something to take lightly or try to get away with.

Daniel:
I think you are a good freelancer and a good father. I don't think you set out to do anything wrong here.

Don't be too hard on yourself about this.
You didn't know. Now you know.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You did a good thing. You taught your daughter that cheating is wrong and has real-life consequences. 

She might be banned from upwork for life, but some lessons are tougher than others! If you want to give her money now, use cash and not upwork. 

Their was no cheating involved! I was teaching her how to use upwork. as scammers were trying to have her pay $$ for security deposits and not sending her a job request to accept all i did was send her one to show her how the process works. We never left a feedback and  I had her cancel from her end with no feed back

There are other ways of teaching somebody, as you well know. You might have even directed her to reading the ToS and relevant forum posts herself. That would be a real learning experience. 

Posting a fake job is unfair to other freelancers who are wasting their connects.  

hglewis
Community Member

Hello Daniel,

To protect yourself and your daughter's freelancing future, become incredibly familiar with Upwork's Legal Center documentation. Much has changed over the years.

https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms

Carefully read through the User Agreement; it is very specific about eligibility and extremely concise.

Hopefully, when your daughter does get her laptop back, she can continue moving forward as a freelancer.

Remember, you'll look back on this time and kick yourself.

I should know, I have five grown children and eight grandchildren.

If I knew then, what I know now, I'd done things differently.

i have searched and looked it does not mention hiring family in teh terms or tos.

Attempting to or actually manipulating or misusing the feedback system, including by:

withholding payment or work product or engaging in any other conduct for the purpose of obtaining positive feedback from another User;

attempting to coerce another User by threatening to give negative feedback; expressing views unrelated to the work in the feedback system, such as political, religious, or social commentary;

providing anything of value to any person (including to a third party who provides assistance in obtaining feedback) or using any service of any type in order to obtain feedback;

or offering services for the sole purpose of improving your feedback or rating score, which is also called feedback building.

Thanks found it .. clearly we did not do any of theseregarding the feedback system! Being precise with ones words Is proper way to handle this, and knowing is half the battle! thank you Woodrow, Your awesome.

Hello Daniel,

You're welcome. 

You and your daughter have a great weekend and continued success!

Daniel R wrote:

i have searched and looked it does not mention hiring family in teh terms or tos.

Everything fine, then. Why are you even posting here?

melaniekhenson
Community Member

melaniekhenson
Community Member

What was the legitimate work to be delivered?

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Please know that we are happy to know that you have made a contract with Aerielle through Upwork. Upwork users who are related or closely connected with each other are allowed to enter contracts together provided that there is legitimate work to be delivered. From upwork safty team.  You should not be a guru you spread misinformation regard upwork and their guidelines."

I am not sure why you would say that Upwork users are allowed to hire relatives or people they are closely connected to.

That is not helpful.

It is not Upwork's intention that their platform be used in that way.

It is an unwritten rule that this is NOT ALLOWED.

Upwork actively searches for this and investigates and penalizes users if they are caught doing this. People have lost their Upwork accounts and had their money frozen.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

But I am! 

You said yourself that there was no legitimate work since you only wanted to show her how it works. You made other people lose their connects by posting a fake job. Fake jobs are not allowed. 

I said i hiired her to show her how easy it is to accept job offer , please read i did not say it was a fake job. as she work for me already doing data entry! the job was to legitamatly add photo of ring and discription into the client website on shopify!

and for clearity this is from upworks safty team!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Learning Paths