Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did the freelancers go?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
11 of 31

Preston H wrote:

I have hired over 90 freelancers on Upwork in many different categories.

The one category I have had difficulty finding freelancers for is writing.  I have had great success finding freelancers in other areas. Finding writers has been a real challenge. And sometimes I did not have people apply who could do the job, even when posting jobs for hourly contracts that would pay people whatever their hourly rate is.

Preston,to me, this sounds very strange. Maybe the problem was the topic you wanted people to write about?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anne M Member Since: Jun 25, 2010
12 of 31

That's strange.  I'm a writer and I'm struggling to get good clients. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
13 of 31

It might be different for writing, but for graphic design a lot of clients seem to like to browse freelancers portfolios and send invitations to people whose style suits them. If you have the patience to browse the top-rated writers, you might find some gems in there.

I'm also curious—if you have hired a few qualified writers here before—why wouldn't you just re-hire them?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 31

re: "I'm also curious—if you have hired a few qualified writers here before—why wouldn't you just re-hire them?"

I have sometimes had success hiring writers. But I have posted jobs for different types of writing, so I can't necessarily hire the same writers to do every task.

I don't think Upwork is a "bad place" to find writers.

But in my personal experience, I have had much better success when hiring visual artists and freelancers with technical computer-related skills.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
15 of 31

Preston H wrote:

re: "I'm also curious—if you have hired a few qualified writers here before—why wouldn't you just re-hire them?"

I have sometimes had success hiring writers. But I have posted jobs for different types of writing, so I can't necessarily hire the same writers to do every task.

I don't think Upwork is a "bad place" to find writers.

But in my personal experience, I have had much better success when hiring visual artists and freelancers with technical computer-related skills.

Well, he did say his requirement was someone who uses capitals and punctuation, so I guess I thought his standards were a little lower lol.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 31

@Kelly Lol + a good few! 

Highlighted
Community Leader
william b Member Since: Jan 3, 2015
17 of 31

AN,

From a Top Rated FL's perspective, thank you so much for your contribution. Unfortunately, I very seriously doubt if UW is listening to your message.

Re: Where did the freelancers go?

I can tell you that--working exclusively in the writing niche--I very rarely, if ever, bother to bid on jobs anymore due directly to the instability on both sides (clients/FL's) that UW has created with its most recent changes.

Even though I strictly filter my job postings, I can see that I'm almost certainly not the only Top Rated FL who does the same as I notice that the vast majority of postings now retain the "Less than 5" bids tag. It appears to me at least that in its desperate effort to keep the money tap flowing, UW has inadvertantly created a Client/FL- desert/divide.

The only consolation I can offer is that at least we're all stuck in the same tailspin.

Your decision to bail, therefore, seems very reasonable.

Best,

wb

Highlighted
Darren F Member Since: May 25, 2016
18 of 31
I am a employer and posted last week for a job with 3 more coming up in the next 2 weeks.. I put a job up and it was an open ended price as I had no idea what it would cost to complete.. I got 5 responses in a 6 day period. Usually I have a bigger choice with prospective applicants.. don't get me wrong.. the guy I am using is doing a great job so far.. but the pricing is way out of wack. I couldn't ask for anymore then 3 clients and I only received 2 extra from all of the freelancers on up work.. that is pretty pathetic. I now know why.. they are all leaving due to the costs.. you will be soon finding a lot of people who post jobs will also be leaving..if they havnt already due to the amount.. well lack of freelancers. I feel for the workers. . Looks yo me as instead of raising extra revenue for up work what is now happening is they are loosing so many jobs and freelancers up work will start to fade away..I'd give it another 12 months and up work will be no more unless the pricing structure changes.. why not do 10% freelancer 5 percent transaction fee added to job supplier.. No other charges.. work on the number of jobs for revenue not what is happening at the moment..
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
19 of 31

Maybe the days of dirt cheap freelancers are gone.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
20 of 31

Darren F wrote:
I am a employer and posted last week for a job with 3 more coming up in the next 2 weeks.. I put a job up and it was an open ended price as I had no idea what it would cost to complete.. I got 5 responses in a 6 day period. Usually I have a bigger choice with prospective applicants.. don't get me wrong.. the guy I am using is doing a great job so far.. but the pricing is way out of wack. 

You found someone who is doing a great job but is too expensive, is that what you are saying?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS