🐈
» Forums » Clients » Why am I seeing this"You have reached the max...
Page options
isaacaaronmedia
Community Member

Why am I seeing this"You have reached the maximum number of messages for today"?

I'm trying to recruit new talent for projects and I get t his message poping up. "You have reached the maximum number of messages for today"

Am I only allowed to message a certain amount? That seems rediculous since I need to message before hiring each freelancer.... Is there a way around this??

7 REPLIES 7
ArjayM

Hi Isaac,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this here. I actually tried but wasn’t able to replicate the issue you’re describing. Could you please try using a different browser or the incognito mode of your current browser? You may also try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies.

Let us know if the issue persists with a screenshot of what you can see from your end and we'll look further into that for you. Looking forward to your confirmation.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

Are you sending messages on the Upwork Marketplace or on the Upwork Community?

ericaandrews
Community Member

If you are sending 'Direct messages' - meaning you are messaging freelancers directly from their PROFILES and not in response to a proposal submission, Upwork limits those types to 5 messages per day

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046621873-Direct-Messages-

"You can make up to 5 new connections via direct message per day."

The reason for this is that freelancers don't like 'spam' anymore than clients do: Lots of the job posts on this site are actual scams put up by scam artists pretending to be real 'clients'.  If Upwork allowed client accounts to send an unlimited number of 'direct messages', scammers could simply just 'spam' messages to hundreds and thousands of freelancers instead of 'hoping' they 'apply' to their scam job post.  

And, contrary to popular believe, not all freelancers even LIKE receiving those types of 'direct messages', even from legit clients, but since we freelancers have no way to 'turn off' the feature (which I have actually requested), I'm glad Upwork at least LIMITS how many messages that can be sent like that daily.  I am not a fan of 'direct messages' because I don't like a client messaging me without having a CLEAR project description/job description laid out that I can read, and if they have something like that, they can just as easily put it in an 'invite-only' job posting where I can read over it and see if I'm interested or not. There are also clients that send 'direct messages' with no clear objective other than a social 'meet and greet' for 'networking' purposes, and not all freelancers have time for that or are interested in unexpected 'informal' chats with random people.  Also, lots of the best freelancers are WORKING during the day, so constant 'one off messages' to discuss a big project can become disruptive: I'd rather a client take the time to get their 'thoughts together' and a plan of action for what they need, write it down, and then we can talk. 

If you are referring to limits to messages you are sending after starting an interview with a freelancer in response to a proposal received to a job you posted, that's a different problem and likely a bug in the system you'll want to report to Support.

If you need to speak with lots for freelancers before hiring, your best bet is to simply create a job post and 'invite' the freelancers you wish to speak with. (You can make the job 'invite only' if you don't want random people applying). Then, you can search for and 'invite' freelancers to apply IF they are interested.  This is the proper way to do it and is more respectful of the freelancers time, as messages "out the blue" can be disruptive, as I said. 

The 'direct message' feature is intended to be used for clients needing to make special 'one off' connections to a freelancer that caught their eye when they don't have a job post yet written up, but I don't think Upwork intends that to be the primary means of hiring where all clients can just 'direct message'  an endless number of freelancers 'out the blue' endlessly.  There are likely hundreds of thousands of clients on this platform and if all of them were permitted to send an endless 'flood' of direct messages into our Inboxes, that would be a nightmare for us freelancers. I wouldn't be on UW much longer if they allowed that, personally. The 5 message limit encourages clients to use the privilege selectively.

12677e67
Community Member

It seems like a real issue. I am also seeing this today on my profile. This is very weird.

Now, can't we have have long discussions with our prospects and clients. Duh!

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 1.45.08 PM.png

12677e67
Community Member

It seems like a real issue. I am also seeing this today on my profile. This is very weird.

Now, can't we have have long discussions with our prospects and clients. Duh!

Hi Swati,

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused due to limits on messages. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork
rudolphg76
Community Member

But that's the only way I can hire them. I tried posting a job and it was removed for violating TOS. When I contacted support, I was told that we are not allowed to post jobs for "skip tracing" because Upworkd doesn't do that. This is despite the fact that I get emails from Upwork regularly advertising the countless skiptracing freelancers just waiting to offer their services to me. Funny how I can't post a skip tracing job for fear of being banned but there are numerous skip tracing freelancers on here. Still trying to figure out how that works. So the only way I can hire them is to reach out directly via IM and select them to hire without posting a job.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths